• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gun Quarter - Proposed Name Change

Just signed the petition. We don't any loony name changes for any historic Birmingham districts or buildings.

totally agree jenny..my feelings are that we should should keep the name as it is...changing it will not make a jot of difference to the way the world is...even to change it to the old gun quarter will not wash with the powers that be as its the word gun that they want to get rid of...as already pointed out this is not an offical address as such and i have never seen any signs saying this way to the gun quarter so to those of us who know it as such we will continue to call it that..

lyn

Last edited:
Carl is very busy and is disinclined to do anything that could be considered political - I have had experience of that personally - something we joke about. The question could always be put to him though.

It has occurred to me this morning that a lot of our Councillors have simply no idea of how much gun production Birmingham was involved with. I know a lot of people were outworkers, etc, but perhaps what we need is a sort of 'Goad' map of the Gun quarter to attach to our protest. I don't wish to add to anyone's workload, but perhaps this is where Mikejee would be able to help.

A 'Goad' map is a map produced since about 1930 (I think) of all the shops and their tenants. Very commonly used in surveying (they are wonderful things). If we could show how many gun factories there were at a particular time (I suspect this would have to be early, say 1800). A bit like a tithe map in essence, but buildings not land with names on. This might highlight how important gun manufacture was to Birmingham. Birmingham seems to have a good deal of Councillors these days who may not have a clue about the history, and they possibly don't even care, but to my way of thinking this would underline the need to protect the name.

Does anyone think this is a reasonable idea?

UPDATE....

I HAVE JUST SPOKEN TO CARL CHINN WHO HAS ALSO SPOKEN OUT ABOUT THE PROPOSED NAME CHANGE AND HE HAS INFORMED ME THAT COUNCILLOR HUXTABLE HAS CONTACTED HIMSELF AND PETITION ORGANISERS INFORMING THEM THAT THE NAME CHANGE WILL NOT GO AHEAD...:)

we still need to keep this petition going just to make sure that our feelings are noticed....

lyn

I must say not normally stuck for words, but my gob has never been so smacked!!, I never thought that the people would carry so much weight in this lack lustre world. I am truly greatful that common sense and civic pride are back on the politicaly correct agenda. Well done to all those who participated and organized.
paul

Great news , well done every one , this history forum and everyone in it should be proud that a part of Brums history has been saved because you cared enough to vote.
woofy

This is indeed great news, thanks for letting us know Lyn - I have still to see it in print, but thanks to everyone who signed the petition.

EXCELLENT!!! What more can I say? Common sense has not died, obviously, it just gets hidden sometimes.

Thats great news at least we are being listened to sometimes Thanks to everyone for the support!

This is indeed great news, thanks for letting us know Lyn - I have still to see it in print, but thanks to everyone who signed the petition.

hi sylv..yes i would like to see it in print as well so if anyone spots a piece in the mail would you kindly let us know as i dont buy it very often....

brilliant result though...we have lost enough of our history already....well done to everyone who signed the petition

lyn

Back