• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gordon Street

You must have been in an upstairs maisonette? We had friends at what I think was number 21. The Paynes, but this might have been after your time.
Lynn.

You must have been in an upstairs maisonette? We had friends at what I think was number 21. The Paynes, but this might have been after your time.
Lynn.
Ours was the downstairs maisonette. We left around 1966/67. I do not recall the Paynes, No 21 was occupied by another family the whole time we lived in Gordon Street.

I have just remembered that I did take another photo from the house in Artillery Street looking back towards where I lived, unfortunately I never actually got the house in, what can be seen in this photo is the door to no 29 Gordon Street (to the left of centre, right of street light) Gordon Street.jpg this would have been the upstairs maisonette in the next block .

I think the Paynes moved in after you at 23 as they were downstairs and there was another block of maisonettes before the flats. The names I remember were the Pointons, the Skinners, the Newsomes, the Cridges, Mrs Nabbs, and Shirley Hunt who was a barmaid at the Acorn pub.
Lynn

I think the Paynes moved in after you at 23 as they were downstairs and there was another block of maisonettes before the flats. The names I remember were the Pointons, the Skinners, the Newsomes, the Cridges, Mrs Nabbs, and Shirley Hunt who was a barmaid at the Acorn pub.
Lynn
That could explain why the name Payne did not register with me. I do however remember the Pointon's, Skinners, Newsome's and Shirley Hunt. In fact Alan Pointon taught me to tie a Windsor Knot in my tie when I was in my early teens, I thought I was the cats whiskers when I managed it successfully on my own.

I found all of these post very interesting, I have an ancestor who lived at NMo 9 Gordon Street from 1911 up to his death in 1931 (Joseph Stonier Dishley). His wife was Elizabeth and they had a son call William and a daughter Florence, I am still in the process of researching the family so will keep checking to see if any more photos or memories.

Here's a map of Gordon St (pink) from 1890. It appears your ancestors at various times also lived on Artillery St, Barwell Road and Garrison Lane (green)...

0 - Gordon St.jpg

A wider aerial view dated 1939. Gordon Street (named) seen in the centre of the view. The school at the top and the canal at the bottom for reference to old maps. Click twice to zoom in.
Gordon Street.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Last edited:
Maps showing 3 phases of Gordon Street. The centre map ties in nicely with OMs image in post #14.

Attachments

• gordon-st-1889to1950s.jpg
    gordon-st-1889to1950s.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 17
Does anyone remember Anthony Green from Gordon St? He would have been born around 1950. His family lived in a house the entrance to which was off the road (you could say a gulley). I only went there a few times. He was a classmate at Moseley School of Art. I His dad must have been disabled because he drove a mobility vehicle of the three wheeler type with a joystick lever type of control and a black vinyl cover for weather protection. I think he worked for an abattoir or in the meat markets around Sherlock St. Also springs to mind a man called Terry Wood came from that area. He married and settled in Rosemary Rd Stechford when the new houses were built on the site of the former orchard grounds of what was then the Yardley Arms Pub. That was around the mid 1960s. He was a semi professional footballer with Stourbridge Town. He had one daughter who's name escapes me but might have been Jill. Any info would be nice. I'm not certain about it being Gordon St. It may have been Wolseley St, but I don't think so!

There are a Robert & Joan E (nee Sadler) Green listed at no. 17 Wolseley St on the ERs from 1955 - 1965. And there is a birth registration for Anthony R Green mmn in 1950, Bham.

Too common a name to be sure of if they are related.

So grateful for your post, MWS, it would have been Wolseley St where I used to visit. The angle at which it joined Garrison Lane is correct. I remember Anthony had a middle initial so that's probably the correct entry in the births registry! I remember adventures playing on waste ground further up the road around what must have been Carrs Paints. It must have been a bomb site! I also remember playing 'footer' in the Garrison Lane Park. I only had to smell the woodwork glue at school and I was 'there' because there was I believe a boneyard in or off Watery Lane nearby which made animal glue and the smell of it drifted across! Also remember the vertical black and white sign advertising Wright's Ropes which I suppose was in or near Garrison Street. Thanks again. Happy memories!

In addition to Robert & Joan Green, there was also an Arthur T Green who lived at 98 Wolseley Street.
Reading through your last post, it bought back memories of myself & my late wife during our courting days (mid to late1960s), I lived in Gordon Street, she in Artillery Street.
There was indeed a bone yard close by, the smell of melting bones pervading everywhere, particularly on the number 53 bus as it travelled along Fazeley Street.
Wrights Ropes occupied virtually the whole of Garrison Street

Thanks for your post Reddi, of course it would depend on the way the houses were numbered back then. As I remember I turned into Wolseley St from Garrison Lane and walked along the right hand side. After a short walk I turned into a side entrance (may have been a gulley) which took me to the back of those houses. Maybe the reason being that it was how they entered their house and I was just following suit. I presume that there was a frontage onto the street. If the numbering started from Garrison Lane then 17 as attested by MWS in his reply to have been the address of said Robert and Joan Green, Anthony's parents, would tie in very nicely position wise.
I'm pleased that I've stirred a little nostalgia, even if its through the lenses of rose coloured spectacles! .....Which is why we're on this wonderful site! Thanks again!

This is a map from 1950 showing parts of Gordon St, Wolseley St and Artillery St. As you can see, there are back houses behind no. 17...

0 - Gordon St.jpg

And this is a crop of 'britainfromabove' image oldMohawk posted of the area around Gordon St in post #42. Pink line is Wolseley St and there is a good view of the gap (green dot) between no.15 and no.17, and the back houses...

Gordon Street.jpg

Well, MWS, I have seen these plans before and didn't know how to decipher them! Your explanation has made it crystal clear and endorsed what was, after all, a 60 year old memory. If nothing else it proves to me that my memory is still functioning as it should. Well done you and many thanks, as well as thanks to Reddi Master Brummie! In very short order all has become clear to me!

That could explain why the name Payne did not register with me. I do however remember the Pointon's, Skinners, Newsome's and Shirley Hunt. In fact Alan Pointon taught me to tie a Windsor Knot in my tie when I was in my early teens, I thought I was the cats whiskers when I managed it successfully on my

An aerial view of the area taken in 1939. Garrison Lane runs from bottom left to the top. Gordon St marked each end. Perhaps a map would identify the house numbers if required.
View attachment 148992

This partial view of Gordon St c1948 shows not much of it remains after WW2 bombing.
View attachment 148993
Ghostly looking photo of Gordon street and the corner shop at top end and Harry's shop over at Witton Street. The total destruction.

Astoness, the pic does indeed show Mr Browns garden. I took the photo way back in the early 60s. I lived at 23 Gordon St, the Brown family lived above at no 21. Mr Brown had the back garden whilst my parents had the front garden.
The houses that can be seen are in Artillery St. The one with the X on was where my girlfriend lived (27 Artillery St.). Margaret and I started courting in 1963/64 when I was 13 going on 14. marrying in St Andrews Church in 1969. Sadly Margaret passed away 3yrs ago this month.
I still have the original photo.

I found all of these post very interesting, I have an ancestor who lived at NMo 9 Gordon Street from 1911 up to his death in 1931 (Joseph Stonier Dishley). His wife was Elizabeth and they had a son call William and a daughter Florence, I am still in the process of researching the family so will keep checking to see if any more photos or memories.
My great grandmother, Clara, lived in No.10 Gordon Street at that time. I have found her on censuses there for 1911 and 1939. They only show even numbered houses so can't see your family. I have a photo of her standing at her front door but it doesn't show much of the building.

Back