• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gordon Street

Reddi

master brummie
Does anyone have photographs of the area around and including Gordon Street/Artillery Street. I am putting together a Family album for our Grandchildren and really would like to include these within it.

Does anyone have photographs of the area around and including Gordon Street/Artillery Street. I am putting together a Family album for our Grandchildren and really would like to include these within it.

I lived in Gordon Street in the late sixties and early seventies but have never ever seen a photograph of it!

Hello Eileen, yes it is the maisonettes. I lived at number 42 and when I was there in the sixties only the first part of the street was houses. At number 12 you must have been in one of these. I’ve never found out for sure but I think most of the road must have been bombed in the 2nd WW and maisonettes built after that. I’ve never come across any other photos of Cordon Street other than the one Lyn’s just posted... they must be out there somewhere!
Lynn.

its the only one i have of this gordon st lynn...could be some at the library but its difficult at the min to get there as i am still avoiding public transport.. if there were any bombings of the street there were no injuries or fatalities

lyn

its the only one i have of this gordon st lynn...could be some at the library but its difficult at the min to get there as i am still avoiding public transport.. if there were any bombings of the street there were no injuries or fatalities

lyn
I’d love to find out Lyn. That’s the only thing I can think that happened. On the electoral registers it completely changes from pre war to post war. We really need someone that knew the area at that time.
Lynn.

lynn i am just wondering if one of our members could see if there is shot of the street from the britain from above site...fingers crossed

lyn

so if anyone can help us with an overhead shot of gordon st bordesley that would be great...

lyn

An aerial view of the area taken in 1939. Garrison Lane runs from bottom left to the top. Gordon St marked each end. Perhaps a map would identify the house numbers if required.
GordonSt1939.jpg

This partial view of Gordon St c1948 shows not much of it remains after WW2 bombing.
PartGordonSt1948.jpg

Oldmohawk, you have solved a 50 year old mystery for me!!! Thank you so much, I knew it had to be something to do with ww2. You probably know this but the building shown in the last picture behind Gordon Street is the Peaky Blinders pub, the Garrison.
Thanks again, Lynn.

lynn can you pick out your old house...if you cant and you know which end of the street it was maybe phil could post you a zoom in

lyn

Lyn, mine was a maisonette that was built on the bombed site, but Eileen would be able to see hers as it would have been one of the terraces that escaped the bombing. I can see the shops in Garrison Lane that look the same as when I lived there. Just out of view to the left, on the corner of Barwell Road was the Acorn pub...my Mom called this my Dad’s second home...at least she always knew where he was !!!
Lynn.

Lyn, mine was a maisonette that was built on the bombed site, but Eileen would be able to see hers as it would have been one of the terraces that escaped the bombing. I can see the shops in Garrison Lane that look the same as when I lived there. Just out of view to the left, on the corner of Barwell Road was the Acorn pub...my Mom called this my Dad’s second home...at least she always knew where he was !!!
Lynn.
The image below is an aerial photo (not very good) from Google and they date it as 1945.
It shows a building (which I have marked) along Gordon St which does not show on the c1948 view in post#14. Also there are three similar buildings on that side of the street and at least four on the other side ... are these the maisonettes? If so it would seem that Google have the wrong date on their image.
GordonSt buildings.jpg

Yes they do look like the maisonettes. I don't know what the policy was on building on bombed sites. Could they build straight away? I wonder what date the bombings took place...
Lynn.

This 1950 map with house numbers does not seem to match what is seen in the aerial view in post#18 ... it's a puzzle !
The building shapes look different !
GordonSt_1950.jpg

just found one injury at no 59 in 1941

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
TownsendJess16/05/194159, Gordon Street, Small HethCivilian

Yes they do look like the maisonettes. I don't know what the policy was on building on bombed sites. Could they build straight away? I wonder what date the bombings took place...
Lynn.
I've just realised that what I thought were buildings in the Google photo in #18 could be the shadows of the maisonettes ..
I'll have another closer look on my iPad ...:)
The bombing of that area would have taken place in the first half of ww2.

I've sharpened a section of the Google image in post #18 and can see the tops of a block of three maisonettes which match the the 1950 map. The dark areas are shadows in the gaps between the buildings.
GordonSt buildings.jpg

So according to the maps and photos they were built between 1948 and 1950. Thanks OldMohawk.
Lynn.

Hi there ... think a little bit more info is needed here if you’re going to get to the bottom of your Q, particularly ... where in BG she got off the bus!? Good Luck!
Hello Eileen, yes it is the maisonettes. I lived at number 42 and when I was there in the sixties only the first part of the street was houses. At number 12 you must have been in one of these. I’ve never found out for sure but I think most of the road must have been bombed in the 2nd WW and maisonettes built after that. I’ve never come across any other photos of Cordon Street other than the one Lyn’s just posted... they must be out there somewhere!
Lynn.

My mother lived in Gordon Street with her parents, and it was one of the houses that was bombed. I don't know which number, and she isn't here now.
Had a friend who lived in one of the maisonettes in the 60s.

Back