• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Flora Original

superdad3

master brummie
And another bites the dust....................

We have long enjoyed the taste of Flora Original on Bun Loaf [aka fruit loaf] and similar. Just like butter. Can't remember how long it has been around but a long time. Anyone remember?

Bought some last week. Still labelled original but it isn't. Tastes awful and rock hard - shredded our bun loaf when tried to spread it. Why can't they leave a good product alone or is coconut oil cheaper than palm oil? Never mind the health implications.

Fortunately we only bought one tub and the birds and squirrels finished it off. Very expensive bird food!

Last edited:
I would hope they are not using coconut oil in it now, as this is decidedly less healthy than palm oil ( as also is palm kernel oil)

I would hope they are not using coconut oil in it now, as this is decidedly less healthy than palm oil ( as also is palm kernel oil)
Have just checked on tubs - the original Flora Original was based on sunflower/rapeseed/palm & linseed oil. The new so called original has dropped palm oil and substituted coconut oil but this has increased saturated fat content by nearly 50%. Apparently this applies to all Flora products. Looking at reviews Flora are heading for a big commercial disaster.

I Don't use Flora, so was not aware. Looking at the ingredients online coconut fat is listed after water, so is present by weight less than water. All I can think of is that they are trying to make it harder . Possibly some like it more like butter in melting properties. It would not be for cost reasons, as coconut oil ( as it is usually referred to in the trade rather than fat) would be more expensive than rapeseed

Back