• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family Tree Software Programs - Seeking Advice

Rob44

Cannot find a thread on this topic. Anyway my old Windows XP PC has expired. I have replaced it with an iMac. All the old PC documents, photos, files including my family tree on a Family Tree Maker program are backed up on a portable Seagate BackUp Plus Slim Drive which is compatible for both PC and Mac.
Therefore, I am seeking advice re the best Family Tree software program for Mac. I have done some research but I am wondering if anyone is using a Mac with their family tree, and has experience/preference/recommendations for such software.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would suppose you have some kind of subscription to a genealogy site if you're still working on a family tree. It might be a good idea to see if that site has its own software or has something that is compatible with the Mac.

When I upgraded to Windows 7 I tried a number of free family tree programs and finally settled for Family Tree Builder from MyHeritage.com. According to their website the program will now run on a Mac but not having a Mac I haven't tried it but it looks as though it's the same as the Windows version. See https://blog.myheritage.com/2015/01/family-tree-builder-now-available-for-mac/ I have found the program pretty good - a couple of slight annoyances, firstly you can't print an 'all in one' tree unless you pay for an upgrade and secondly every time you start the program it asks if you want to publish your tree - easy to click 'no' however so neither of these is a major problem.

Thank you for both replies. I currently subscribe to Find My Past, but I am looking for an off line program. I do maintain a very basic tree on Genes RU but with no living relatives apart from my self and my wife.
Via Google my research has found a web site that has reviewed tree programs for Mac. Roots Magic came top with Family Tree Maker second. Guess will have to take the plunge with one of these, hopefully with a free trial first.

Hi Rob44. My comment is not a solution to your apparent problem but I think it appropriate to point out to you and any one else that not all programs will still run if your change from a 32 bit computer to a 64 bit computer as I found to my cost. Just another pitfall for the unwary. Regards. willey

Back