• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Esther Hudson

So that makes it the William buried at Holy Trinity.
Likely but the address does not fit. Next I’m looking at the other sister Elizabeth who died in 1863. I think she may be Mary Ann’s daughter. Such a lot for one family to takein 5 years. Latimer street was not healthy that’s for sure. In 6years, the parents, their son his wife and daughter, and a child All died beforethe age of 50.

thamk you all for your help. It was Emily who I don’t know existed, helped break the mystery.

Elizabeth - confirmed my suspicion that she was the daughter of Mary Ann on the death cert (measles / Congestion) at Latimer Street.
Hudson Elizabeth 1859.pngHudson Elizabeth 1859.pnghudson elizabeth.png
On birth Entry - born in the Workhouse, Mother Mary Ann (residence Tindel Street). The first bit I suspected. I think thats it for now.

OK - I really am done for today. Checked the birth of Mary and Samuels first child esther green. She was born at Latimer Street, so Samuel was moved in and head of the household from March 1864 at the earliest. So that narrows a marriage down if there was one to around 1863-1864.

There is already a picture emerging of the dynamic. As I said previously Samuel lived in Latimer street and would have been around at the time of all the issues for Mary. Brother dying in 1863 and her daughter too. So if I was a guessing women, a marriage would have been after June 1863 and before March 1864 when her first child would have been conceived.

There are newspaper reports (I mentioned them on the other thread) mostly for passing counterfeit coins. His address is listed as Wilton St and Heaton St. In 1881 & 1891 he is in prison and back in Bham in 1901.

Still wasn't certain if he was the right one.
I think we have a match here. There is mention in the Birmingham News 01/11/1858 of George Hudson committing a crime. His address is referenced as Tyndell Street. On the birth Certificate for Elizabeth Hudson, this is street is reference as where she lives so looks likely a connection. He would have been around 18 at this point.

Need to now check - to see whether its the same person convicted of long custodial sentences in 1874 and 1887. The physical description by 1887 is rather depressing and he seemed to have been in the proverbial wars if its the same man. few scars, broken thigh and a missing left arm. There seems to be a photograph also which I need to validate.

George Hudson 1858_11_01.png

Last edited:
It came up on Ancestry under Criminal Registers. There are 4 for George Hudson in warwickshire (ie Birmingham) - 1858, 1863, 1872 and 1887

This could also be him 12th October 1863. The 6 years is "penal servitude"
1691430077816.png

Interesting. The criminal George is also listed as a hawker.
Will do a newspaper search tomorrow for him.
Had a very interesting journey through the newspapers of the period. George Jr, is in there a lot due to his habitual criminality.

George Sr is probably in there too. He died in a different location which puzzled me - but there was a record of him in the periodicals as living apart from his wife and then this.

Attachments

• George Hudson 1857_05_30.png
    George Hudson 1857_05_30.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
  • George Hudson 1858_11_01.png
    George Hudson 1858_11_01.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 11
  • george Hudson 1858_december.png
    george Hudson 1858_december.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 7
  • george Hudson_1858_June.png
    george Hudson_1858_June.png
    426.4 KB · Views: 14
Hi why would there not be a GRO - Death cert for Esther? Anyone any ideas. Cant find her record anywhere. Anyone got any theories? Buried at Holy Trinity Church.

1691492434778.png

A GRO search comes up with an Esther Elizabeth in Jan 1930 is this her?
no. I haver a baptism record for esther baker in sept 1815 At st martins which fits but does not look like her death is registered for the burial above at holy trinity, if it is her but I just cannot validate this without the death cert. Looks like her estranged husband was a massive drunk. So thinking, he may not have done it, but I would have thought her kids would.

Frustrating but I think it would pretty safe to assume it is the correct person. Age is right and there doesn't appear to be any other Esther it could be, and burials for relatives also took place at the church so there's a connection.

You could try to see if there's a connection to someone living on Brass St in 1861 but seems a laborious task and no guarantee she would have been living with a relative.

Frustrating but I think it would pretty safe to assume it is the correct person. Age is right and there doesn't appear to be any other Esther it could be, and burials for relatives also took place at the church so there's a connection.

You could try to see if there's a connection to someone living on Brass St in 1861 but seems a laborious task and no guarantee she would have been living with a relative.
I dont even know where brass steet was. I think its gone now as has Tindall Street. I think from surmising they are around the Hill street area.

brass street was off summer lane..long since gone now but if interested we do have a thread for brass street which also show old photos...lyn....click on link below

Brass St (unless there's more than one) was towards New Town. Map from 1890...

View attachment 182989
Looking to see whether it was in the local of Tindall Street / Latimer Street & wherever the Glasscutters arms was located in 1858. In a newspaper court record, there was a pub walk from my Gt Gt grandfather from Tindall street, down hill street - I know he ended up in the glasscutters arms but its annoyingly not referenced by Street. There is mention of an earlier stop-off at the Coal Hole in Ann Street but again - no idea where this was.

Tndal St is the Ladywood side of Broad St, Latmer St is on the other side of Broad St about a mile away.

Neither are particularly close to Brass St but if Esther was trying to get away from George then she would a distance away.

There was a Glasscutters Arms on Hospital St which is towards New Town and not far from Brass St.

Last edited:
In 1861 Brass Street comes under:
Birmingham, St George, District 31. The name, to me, looks nothing like brass Street but :

An 1862 directory gives theses names and Butler, Fullwood and Upton are on page 39 of the census
1691502020467.png

Last edited:
Tndal St is the Ladywood side of Broad St, Latmer St is on the other side of Broad St about a mile away.

Neither are particularly close to Brass St but if Esther was trying to get away from George then she would a distance away.

There was a Glasscutters Arms on Hospital St which is towards New Town and not far from Brass St.
Any idea where Ann Street would be. Tried to look up the Coal Hole but have drawn a blank,

george Hudson 1858_december.png

Although now forming part of Colmore Row, Ann Street was the former name of the section of road between Congreve Street and Newhall Street. Both Ann Street and Colmore Row were on the edge of the Newhall Estate belonging to the Colmore family.

Taken from www.midlandspubs.co.uk

see here for info on real name of "cole hole"

There are newspaper reports (I mentioned them on the other thread) mostly for passing counterfeit coins. His address is listed as Wilton St and Heaton St. In 1881 & 1891 he is in prison and back in Bham in 1901.

Still wasn't certain if he was the right one.
Where did you get Wilton street and heaton street reference please ?

1887 Wilton Street. The Mail gives the full address.

Attachments

• Warwickshire Herald 10.02.1887.JPG
    Warwickshire Herald 10.02.1887.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Birmingham Mail 29.02.1887.JPG
    Birmingham Mail 29.02.1887.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back