• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eliot Street School Nechells

An interesting post Di.  I went to Eliot St School to learn shorthand/typing in 1957.  Don't remember getting a leaving certificate - maybe because I already had one from Manor Park (which I still have) and had, technically, already left school.

HI JEAN , NICE CERTIFY,HIS ELLIOT street still there , I left birmingham many year,s ago , the last and only time I was there at Elliot street was when Iwas a page boy at my auntie,s wedding and Ihad to sit on the four bride,s maid lap,s in the car , where upon I wet myself , on the way to the school I was only 7YEARS OF AGE, when we got there my auntie and my mom went barmie at me , they took me into the big wash room,my auntie ,s name was maurd stevens, and she married bill smart, from whitehouse street aston sadly bill passed away three year,s ago, but maud his still alive and she his in a home at kingstanding, she his now in her 9O ,S and does,nt reconise anybody now, not even her son nor daughter, best wishes, astonian,

Hi Astonian:  I left Birmingham in 1964 and left the UK in 1966.  I am not sure if the school is still there but I should think it has gone by now.  I have a cousin living in Eliot St so can ask her, although, I am sure there are people on this site who will answer your question quicker.  :)

eliot st school today 31/03/07,the old ladies park on the end as we knew it,only old ladies allowed in to walk their dogs and one tennis court,if you wanted to rough you went to spion cop with tump down the road

the obligatory derelict factory at the end,up and down view nechells park rd

eliot st school,1958 or 59,my mate clive bamford on bottom left in leather jacket,his mom and dad used to run DOLLYS STORES on the corner of dunton rd and mount st,scanned pic but came out massive so photographed original

Eliot Street School

Hello, I have only just come accross the Eliot Street School thread. My late mother attended the school in the 20's. She lived in Wharton St. I was very interested to see the pictures of the school. Thank you. Eileen

the factory

the obligatory derelict factory at the end,up and down view nechells park rd
hello dolly, i was in the same class as clive bamford when we were at eliot st school. The derelict factory was known them days as lindleys, they made railway lamps for parafin, My dad worked there so i had a good collection.In the late sixties Tester and swane spayer makers bought it.then clark took over.
I left 3b eliot st 1964.the headmaster was named parsons,I did not like that man as much as mr scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
re eliot st school

In the heartlands history there is a piccie of a boy.i think it was butler st. Standing with one foot on a car bumper.if you was that lad,did you go to eliot st school untill 1964?.think i know you peter

Hello.any one attend elliot st.from 1960 to 64,i am trying to remember the staffs names.
all i remember are
mr beven
miss parry
mr mace
mr johns
miss macormack
any help would be greatfull

Hi Pete

Not wanting to hijack your thread looking fopr old staff members, but you may be able to clear up a discussion I was having with my father.

He always thought that his father went to Elliott St School (he lived Cuckoo Road, Aston Church Road) around 1910 (b.1902). But we had read in one of Carl Chinn's books that it was a girls school so we were a bit confused.

Do you know any of the history of the school? Was it 'single sex'? did it change over time?

Many Thanks
Paul

never mind,all i can say is it was a mixed school,when i was there.the playgrounds were kept separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
dasher.i looked on astonbrook site.and it looks like it become a mixed ( Became a separate M sch. 1945)

dasher.i forgive you lol we are a happy site here.i have been looking for info on that school for years.if i find any more input i will let you know.

hi folks...if any members ever find out that their rellies attended this school in 1908 i have a class photo here and it gives all the names of the pupils...

lyn

hi folks...if any members ever find out that their rellies attended this school in 1908 i have a class photo here and it gives all the names of the pupils...
Hi Lyn, My Mother attended Elliot Street School but 1908 would be two or three years to early, but it is possible that her elder sister or brother attended their surname was Bradley.
Regards Reg

reg its a class of girls and im afraid there are no bradleys on the list..nearest to it in case of miss spelling are..dorothy brandon and and gladys bradshaw..

Info from Victoria County History at British History Online - https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984
NECHELLS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Hutton St. Bd. Sch. opened 1879 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(23) Accom. 1,062 B, G, I.(21) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Name changed c. 1897 to Nechells Bd. Sch. Enlarged 1898, 1925. Altered and reorganized 1930 for SM, JM, I. S dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. in Presbyterian Church, Longacre, provided 1954. Accom. 1961: 18 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)
NECHELLS COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Became a separate M sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Alterations 1949.(21) N.o.b. 1961: 370.(27)

reg its a class of girls and im afraid there are no bradleys on the list..nearest to it in case of miss spelling are..dorothy brandon and and gladys bradshaw..
Hi Lyn , Thanks for looking, my mothers elder sister was named May, her younger sister was Gladys and my mother Born 1906 was Lilian.
Thanks again Reg

Hi Lyn , Thanks for looking, my mothers elder sister was named May, her younger sister was Gladys and my mother Born 1906 was Lilian.
Thanks again Reg

My grandad Stan Wortley attended Elliot st school around 1929/30-(he was born in 1923
in Argyall st). Does anybody have a class picture of around this time I wonder?

Darren Wortley.

Hi Pete
I attended Eliot Street between 1949 to xmas 1954(when I was 10)
the staff I remember were Miss Parry and the husband & wife team the Reece`s.
There was a junior teacher Miss Browning (I carried her case to bus stop on her last day)--
and put my ear to the headmasters door and heard Mr Rome say "Go and find yourself a man"
to Miss Browning. I suppose the ten year old boy had a crush on her?
Struggling to remember the others Pete.

Roger

Hi Lyn,

Just reading the thread, on your photo from 1908 are there any Girls with the surname Glew as family lived in Rupert Street & Crompton Road.

Regards
Cath

Had difficulty finding 'Elliot Street School' as per the original title of this thread. but think those named (below) were the schools being referred to on Eliot Street (with one 'l'). They may have been generally referred to as Eliot Street but they're listed as as 'Nechells' on the British History online site. The Primary school seems to have started out as Hutton St Board School. I've edited the heading to 'Nechells Schools, Eliot Street'. Viv.

NECHELLS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Hutton St. Bd. Sch. opened 1879 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(23) Accom. 1,062 B, G, I.(21) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Name changed c. 1897 to Nechells Bd. Sch. Enlarged 1898, 1925. Altered and reorganized 1930 for Senior Mixed, Junior Mixed and Infants. Senior dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. in Presbyterian Church, Longacre, provided 1954. Accom. 1961: 18 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

NECHELLS COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Became a separate Mixed sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Alterations 1949

Hello.any one attend elliot st.from 1960 to 64,i am trying to remember the staffs names.
all i remember are
mr beven
miss parry
mr mace
mr johns
miss macormack
any help would be greatfull
Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!

Back