• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eliot Street School Nechells

reg its a class of girls and im afraid there are no bradleys on the list..nearest to it in case of miss spelling are..dorothy brandon and and gladys bradshaw..

Info from Victoria County History at British History Online - https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22984
NECHELLS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Hutton St. Bd. Sch. opened 1879 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(23) Accom. 1,062 B, G, I.(21) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Name changed c. 1897 to Nechells Bd. Sch. Enlarged 1898, 1925. Altered and reorganized 1930 for SM, JM, I. S dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. in Presbyterian Church, Longacre, provided 1954. Accom. 1961: 18 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)
NECHELLS COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Became a separate M sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Alterations 1949.(21) N.o.b. 1961: 370.(27)

reg its a class of girls and im afraid there are no bradleys on the list..nearest to it in case of miss spelling are..dorothy brandon and and gladys bradshaw..
Hi Lyn , Thanks for looking, my mothers elder sister was named May, her younger sister was Gladys and my mother Born 1906 was Lilian.
Thanks again Reg

Hi Lyn , Thanks for looking, my mothers elder sister was named May, her younger sister was Gladys and my mother Born 1906 was Lilian.
Thanks again Reg

My grandad Stan Wortley attended Elliot st school around 1929/30-(he was born in 1923
in Argyall st). Does anybody have a class picture of around this time I wonder?

Darren Wortley.

Hi Pete
I attended Eliot Street between 1949 to xmas 1954(when I was 10)
the staff I remember were Miss Parry and the husband & wife team the Reece`s.
There was a junior teacher Miss Browning (I carried her case to bus stop on her last day)--
and put my ear to the headmasters door and heard Mr Rome say "Go and find yourself a man"
to Miss Browning. I suppose the ten year old boy had a crush on her?
Struggling to remember the others Pete.

Roger

Hi Lyn,

Just reading the thread, on your photo from 1908 are there any Girls with the surname Glew as family lived in Rupert Street & Crompton Road.

Regards
Cath

Had difficulty finding 'Elliot Street School' as per the original title of this thread. but think those named (below) were the schools being referred to on Eliot Street (with one 'l'). They may have been generally referred to as Eliot Street but they're listed as as 'Nechells' on the British History online site. The Primary school seems to have started out as Hutton St Board School. I've edited the heading to 'Nechells Schools, Eliot Street'. Viv.

NECHELLS COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Hutton St. Bd. Sch. opened 1879 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(23) Accom. 1,062 B, G, I.(21) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Name changed c. 1897 to Nechells Bd. Sch. Enlarged 1898, 1925. Altered and reorganized 1930 for Senior Mixed, Junior Mixed and Infants. Senior dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).(21) Accom. in Presbyterian Church, Longacre, provided 1954. Accom. 1961: 18 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

NECHELLS COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Eliot Street.(27) Became a separate Mixed sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Alterations 1949

Hello.any one attend elliot st.from 1960 to 64,i am trying to remember the staffs names.
all i remember are
mr beven
miss parry
mr mace
mr johns
miss macormack
any help would be greatfull
Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!

Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Headmaster Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!
Also remembered Mr Tom Fisher (what a dish, with or without his beard).

Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!

Hi Catherine I was born in 1944 and I left Eliot Street Juniors at Xmas 1954. I did not have chance to say goodbye through a family behreavement. Unlike you I do not have the Senior experience to remember Teachers etc but what I do rememer is as follows:
Class mates Maureen Boyd--Sylvia ?--Roy Rich--Carole Mallett--Alfie Jones--Keith Harbin--and many others. Teachers as already mentioned in my 2014 blog. Where you same or another year to me at Juniors?
Remember school trip to Plaza for Everest film screening.

Roger Boulton
Chattaway Street

Hi Catherine I was born in 1944 and I left Eliot Street Juniors at Xmas 1954. I did not have chance to say goodbye through a family behreavement. Unlike you I do not have the Senior experience to remember Teachers etc but what I do rememer is as follows:
Class mates Maureen Boyd--Sylvia ?--Roy Rich--Carole Mallett--Alfie Jones--Keith Harbin--and many others. Teachers as already mentioned in my 2014 blog. Where you same or another year to me at Juniors?
Remember school trip to Plaza for Everest film screening.

Roger Boulton
Chattaway Street
Chattaway Street!! A sweet shop on the corner that sold fizzy white Kaylie or however it is spelled., A lass called Christine lived nearby, I lived in Cook Street round the corner, in fact last year my brother (born 1947)and I (born 1943) actually went there just to see our old haunts, I am not too sure about Junior years I spent there at Eliot but I have to say apart from a period of bullying (see the school bullies thread) I absolutely adored school and was utterly bereft when I left at 16/17 (stayed on to take 'O' levels) by which time my family had moved to Perry Barr and I had to walk to Cuckoo Bridge to catch a bus or two home. Our class was taken to see the Dambusters at a cinema near Fiveways Aston, not far from Aston Hippodrome so I may have been a class behind you.
Lovely to see your reply.

Chattaway Street!! A sweet shop on the corner that sold fizzy white Kaylie or however it is spelled., A lass called Christine lived nearby, I lived in Cook Street round the corner, in fact last year my brother (born 1947)and I (born 1943) actually went there just to see our old haunts, I am not too sure about Junior years I spent there at Eliot but I have to say apart from a period of bullying (see the school bullies thread) I absolutely adored school and was utterly bereft when I left at 16/17 (stayed on to take 'O' levels) by which time my family had moved to Perry Barr and I had to walk to Cuckoo Bridge to catch a bus or two home. Our class was taken to see the Dambusters at a cinema near Fiveways Aston, not far from Aston Hippodrome so I may have been a class behind you.
Lovely to see your reply.

Catherine If you were born in 1943 you should be a class in front of me? Next door to the corner shop my friend(two years older than I) lived `Brian Caulfield`--I was born up the hill in Cook Street and left for 39 Chattaway Street at age three.
Johnny Roe lived in Cook Street--but not sure about Christine. Dawn Franklin lived next to us--and I think the cinema
you went to to see the Dam Busters(1955) was the Globe! I went there once--sat on a soap box!

Yes I always loved school(only child)--and would go back again--but not in this time zone.
Lovely to hear from you Catherine---hope you are reasonably happy? Where did the years go?

Roger

Hello Roger.,

I stood in Dawn Franklin's garden one sunny afternoon aged about 9 staring at the clouds for cherubs, well we were told at Sunday school that's where they lived, Christine lived in that little cul de sac off Chattaway. Yes I think it was the Globe but my brothers and I were regulars at the Aston Cross cinema every Saturday morning - down Holborn Hill, up along Lichfield Rd, cost 6 pence. To this day Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless (and Roy Rogers) are burned in my brain ha ha.

Brian Caulfield rings a bell, do you remember the Pittaways from Chattaway - one was in my class (Alan?) , I believe they emigrated in the late 50s/60's to Australia as £10 Poms, I remember one of them said they all had their teeth filled prior to going.

Yes time has flown but I am happy to still be here despite all that life has thrown at me, content is the word, enjoying my retirement as much as poss on behalf of those I knew and loved didn't make it thus far. trust you are the same, Catherine

Hello Roger.,

I stood in Dawn Franklin's garden one sunny afternoon aged about 9 staring at the clouds for cherubs, well we were told at Sunday school that's where they lived, Christine lived in that little cul de sac off Chattaway. Yes I think it was the Globe but my brothers and I were regulars at the Aston Cross cinema every Saturday morning - down Holborn Hill, up along Lichfield Rd, cost 6 pence. To this day Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless (and Roy Rogers) are burned in my brain ha ha.

Brian Caulfield rings a bell, do you remember the Pittaways from Chattaway - one was in my class (Alan?) , I believe they emigrated in the late 50s/60's to Australia as £10 Poms, I remember one of them said they all had their teeth filled prior to going.

Yes time has flown but I am happy to still be here despite all that life has thrown at me, content is the word, enjoying my retirement as much as poss on behalf of those I knew and loved didn't make it thus far. trust you are the same, Catherine

Catherine I notice on Google Earth there are still a few original homes left--(bottom of Cook Street--NPR)--what was Christine`s surname? I knew Alan Pittaway and I met his mate Brian Caulfield five years ago. I believe Alan was working for the RSPCA or some such organisation?
My Saturday Matinees were in Kingstanding but--Brian and I went to a film showing one of the weekdays to a hall mid
way along NPR(by a garage)--do
you remember Sandra Reynolds? she now lives in the IOW. Ramsey Road(cul de sac) was still there in it`s original form until a few years ago. Trevor Jones lived on the corner--and another a few yards away was Colin Ward. `Old Bill` stood
on the corner of Ramsey Road--he had learning difficulties. Me and Berian went to see `Calamity Jane` three times in one week! I still love Musicals!
Hope these reminders jog a few grey cells Catherine.
fondest regards

Roger

Catherine I notice on Google Earth there are still a few original homes left--(bottom of Cook Street--NPR)--what was Christine`s surname? I knew Alan Pittaway and I met his mate Brian Caulfield five years ago. I believe Alan was working for the RSPCA or some such organisation?
My Saturday Matinees were in Kingstanding but--Brian and I went to a film showing one of the weekdays to a hall mid
way along NPR(by a garage)--do
you remember Sandra Reynolds? she now lives in the IOW. Ramsey Road(cul de sac) was still there in it`s original form until a few years ago. Trevor Jones lived on the corner--and another a few yards away was Colin Ward. `Old Bill` stood
on the corner of Ramsey Road--he had learning difficulties. Me and Berian went to see `Calamity Jane` three times in one week! I still love Musicals!
Hope these reminders jog a few grey cells Catherine.
fondest regards

Roger
Hello Roger.,
I think you may be right, that Christine may have been a Sandra Ramsey, when I visited Cook St last year I stood in that cul de sac and walked past those houses at the bottom of Cook St - thence outside our school, the memories overwhelmed me, John Russell's Mom (used to be one of the cooks - our school dinners were the best ) home facing the school still there, I can still hear her ticking me off for being cheeky!, also comes to mind are the Pearsons, Shirley Simpson, the Oldacres, all in Cook. NPR had the best fish and chips, not far from the swimming baths (that building still there in all its glory, now a kindergarten I believe.) Mr Quillan, harsh taskmaster and he always put me down however he did teach us all how to write beautifully with italic nibs, does that ring a bell.
Catherine

Hello Roger.,
I think you may be right, that Christine may have been a Sandra Ramsey, when I visited Cook St last year I stood in that cul de sac and walked past those houses at the bottom of Cook St - thence outside our school, the memories overwhelmed me, John Russell's Mom (used to be one of the cooks - our school dinners were the best ) home facing the school still there, I can still hear her ticking me off for being cheeky!, also comes to mind are the Pearsons, Shirley Simpson, the Oldacres, all in Cook. NPR had the best fish and chips, not far from the swimming baths (that building still there in all its glory, now a kindergarten I believe.) Mr Quillan, harsh taskmaster and he always put me down however he did teach us all how to write beautifully with italic nibs, does that ring a bell.
Catherine
The grey cells have clicked in Roger, Sandra Randall not Ramsey, thanks for awakening the dormant files!

The grey cells have clicked in Roger, Sandra Randall not Ramsey, thanks for awakening the dormant files!

Hi Catherine No nib could make me write nicely--but still love a fountain pen. So many memories and still fresh. The Primary school(seen on internet) still the same--main hall all those terrible country dance lessons from Miss Parry. Hold the girls hands boys-one, two and then she would start clapping and moving in a grotesque dance.
Okay Catherine I gild the lily somewhat. Mr Reece recently died--87--remember him but did not like his wife!!
I suppose we probably met(without knowing of course) living so close. Coronation Day my father took me to London(too late missed the main show)--I do have a picture of a party in Chattaway Street--held top end by NPR. Ramsay Road--others the Hands
--Brian was my pal--I think he had siblings-Christine? the Beards--sister & brother Tom and ?
Okay over to you.

Roger

Back