• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cowper Street

Does anyone know Paul Edmonds of Cowper street from about 1960 or maybe he is on this site already , Or the smith family that used to live next door to us

Who can remember the toons family selling toffee apples I think from rodway street out a little window , what a treat they were .
any one else who had these

cowperkid...did you read the reply to the question you asked me...its on post 55 ??

all the best

lyn

cowperkid...did you read the reply to the question you asked me...its on post 55 ??

all the best

lyn
Yes Lyn I did read your reply thank you , I went to the link you sent great pics some of the area that I moved to after cowper street witton road

Yes Lyn I did read your reply thank you , I went to the link you sent great pics some of the area that I moved to after cowper street witton road
Dear lyn how do I find a particular page as in 55 I am sure I read your reply but cant find a page number , sorry to be a pain .

no problems cowperkid...55 is not a page number its a post number..ie the post i am making now is post number 66 as indicated to the right of this post...post 55 is on page 3 of this thread as indicated by the little boxes above with the page numbers in them so just click on box 3 which will take you to post 55...i know it sounds confusing but once you get hang of it you will be ok...let me know if you find it ok

lyn

It's post, not page. The post number is given at the bottom r.h. corner of the post (your last post is marked #65). Just work back

no problems cowperkid...55 is not a page number its a post number..ie the post i am making now is post number 66 as indicated to the right of this post...post 55 is on page 3 of this thread as indicated by the little boxes above with the page numbers in them so just click on box 3 which will take you to post 55...i know it sounds confusing but once you get hang of it you will be ok...let me know if you find it ok

lyn
OK lyn and mikejee that clears it up just confused (think its an old age thing ) lol . so I already seen the post thanks again

I don't remember knowing anyone from your end of Cowper St. The only kids I knew from Cowper St were on the other side of Summer Lane, across from the school. Age was a major factor regarding who you knew back then. If they were school friends then you only knew kids in your year, unless they lived close by to where you lived.
Dave A
you are spot on there Dave I didn't know any body from your end either but I know a lot of names through my older siblings , it still great to talk to people from the old even if they are the wrong side of the frog and toad lol all the best Dave

hi again Lyn I have a question for our old house 7 cowper street was a pub some time before we lived there no one knows what it was called . someone thought it might have been called the white horse it had a large yard and no other houses back there , at the back of the yard was covered shed that went right across the back we think this was for horses and iron bars on the back windows any info would be fantastic .all the very best Lyn .

hi cowperkid sorry i have no idea of the name....unless someone else beats me to it i will take a look at the kellys directories later on...

lyn

just looking at this photo of your house which is right of the gates and its hard to imagine that it was a pub as its just a normal sized house..guess it could have been a small beer house though....hopefully we can find out for you

Cowper_Street_Newtown_-_10-3-1967.jpg

hi cowperkid....in 1892 no 7 is listed to a mrs charlotte franklin beer retailer so as i thought most likely selling beer from the front room..in 1913 it is not listed at all..also checked 1938/39/40 nothing is listed for those years...

lyn

Last edited:
In Cornwall Street, adjacent to the rear of the Philip Harris premises in Edmund Street there was a terrace house which was a small cafe. It was, to my knowledge, owned (presumably) by Mrs. D. Hunt - known by her patrons as Dolly. She did a good dinner time trade as was always full. I went there a few times when working in Edmund Street. It was basically a house and the dining area her downstairs room. Nice home cooking with traditional stodge style food of which the countries workforce was sustained. ;)
Not Summer Lane but posted as a confirmation of what could be done in a small terrace house front room.

thanks alan it true...a lot can be done with a living room...just look what they are using the old red telephone boxes for now:D

lyn

A lot of the old shops were originally houses, I know my Wife's Aunts shop in Vicarage Road Aston was (sadly long since gone). Eric

As many will know most of the SW has older properties in towns. Many former shops, which have closed down, are now being restored into houses again.

hi cowperbill....in 1892 no 7 is listed to a mrs charlotte franklin beer retailer so as i thought most likely selling beer from the front room..in 1913 it is not listed at all..also checked 1938/39/40 nothing is listed for those years...

lyn
Hi again Lyn did you make a mistake with my name or is there a cowperbill too , I forgot to tell you in the cellar was a big concrete ledge I assume it was for beer kegs it was about two feet tall and about three or four feet in depth . Thanks for the info Lyn you have been working hard by for now .

yes an error on my part cowperkid....at least you now know what the name of the pub was...:)

lyn

yes an error on my part cowperkid....at least you now know what the name of the pub was...:)

lyn
wow you guys are fantastic thank you Lyn and mikejee you have cleared up a 60 plus years mystery cant wait to tell my family that's left thanks again .

if there is a mystery to solve we dont hang about on here:D:D:D

happy to help...oh just a note that we have moved the all the posts from post no 210 on the summer lane pubs thread to this thread so that we keep all the info in the correct place

lyn

Last edited:
if there is a mystery to solve we dont hang about on here:D:D:D

happy to help...oh just a note that we have moved the all the posts from post no 210 on the summer lane pubs thread to this thread so that we keep all the info in the correct place

lyn
Perfect Lyn

Does anyone know Paul Edmonds of Cowper street from about 1960 or maybe he is on this site already , Or the smith family that used to live next door to us
I have been informed by my older sister that it is not Paul Edmonds but Paul Enman not sure of the spelling.

Hi again Lyn did you make a mistake with my name or is there a cowperbill too , I forgot to tell you in the cellar was a big concrete ledge I assume it was for beer kegs it was about two feet tall and about three or four feet in depth . Thanks for the info Lyn you have been working hard by for now .
Dear lyn just an update after coming on this site I am now friends on face book with a old neighbor from cowper street , just amazing what can happen on here thanks for your hard work a t v b

hello cowperkid how lovely for you...you would be surprised how many members on this forum have be re united with old neighbours.friends and family...i myself found relatives i did not know even existed:)

lyn

hello cowperkid how lovely for you...you would be surprised how many members on this forum have be re united with old neighbours.friends and family...i myself found relatives i did not know even existed:)

lyn
How great is that finding unknown family .it seems so much more exciting for me living so far away feels lik I have two separate lives .

Back