• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op and "The Tunnel"

Wobag

knowlegable brummie
I have clear memories of shopping in the Co-op store on High Street (now the site of the Pavillions). I cant remember how many floors it had or whether it sold food as a modern Co-op would.

What has really surprised me is reading about: the tunnel. Apparently before my experiences, Co-op also occupied what is now the BHS store on New Street, and a tunnel ran from the basement of one store to the other, for use by the public to make it one physical store.

Now firstly, thats one heck of a tunnel. Secondly, how? I guess the Co-op store could have been built at the same time as the Big Top complex that includes the second store, but the architects would have had to known the same tenant wanted both stores which seems unlikely at the design stage. However the idea of the Co-op commissioning a tunnel being dug between stores (and being allowed to) seems more than fanciful.

If anyone remembers using the tunnel, am I right in guessing it would join the New Street store where I think the canteen is now?

Finding a photo of the tunnel is unlikely but any memories of it would be very welcome.

There was a tunnel between the main store on the one side of High Street and a smaller building in the Big Top site opposite. That buiding is still there and has been recently rennovated and is a Barclays Bank. The tunnel would have been a cut fill job, if I recollect correctly the Co-op had a function suite on top of their building on the Big Top site, which is now a gym. The main store was not hit by bombing in the war, they at some time had purchased a store called the 'Grand Louvre' opposite, that building was completly destroyed by bombing and was the site of their Big Top buiding. That building closed sometime before the main co-op department store was demolished and the tunnel ceased to be used at that time-it might still exist as I cannot remember it being dug out and back filled, and yes I went through the tunnnel at least twice. I remember it was very dingy

Wasn't the second store more of what we would call an "express" store now - sold sandwiches and snacks etc, if I remember right - easier and quicker than the food hall in the main store.
Welcome Captain Canal, hope you enjoy the forum.
Sue

Hi Sue,

Have very vague recollections of it, remember some electricals and gardening stuff in it. By that time it was very down at heal,

They have been digging up High Street, but they didn't get as far as the location of the tunnel,

Best wishes,

Richard

Captain Canal, wecome to the Forum. My recollection of the tunnel is I,m afraid opposite to yours, I seem to remember it was reasonably well lit and had goods on display although cannot remember what exactly. It would be interesting to see a pic of the tunnel, I'm sure there must be one around somewhere. My late Wife and I used the tunnel numerous times, as it was close to our favourite 'watering hole' the Bodega. Eric

Why wouldn't there be a tunnel under the high street between the new and the old branch. I seem to have a vague recollection of one. What I know for certain is that the access tunnel for the service area for the big top site ran under the Co-op from Moor St. Having worked on many of the shops in that section of New St - High St we used it many times to get skips in and out when the various shops were doing alterations. We even used it when working on the tax offices in Union Street.

If they were able to build a tunnel capable of taking artic lorries I'm sure that a tunnel for pedestrians would have not been a problem, especially when the Co-op was having the store built opposite their headquarter store.

Phil

I can't say I recollect the tunnel but the Co-op definitely had offices and a function suite in the Big Top site.
I used to go to what was called the Rainbow Suite on a Saurday night in about 1966/7 where they had a dance with a band and played records - mainly soul and motown stuff. The entrance to the suite was in the arcade and you could either walk up the stairs or get the lift (think it was on the 2nd floor) - it's still there I think.

There were a lot more tunnels under Birmingham. I remember the Co-op tunnel as being done out like the rest of the store but I can't remember what department was down there. Possibly camping or something you didn't use most of the time. I think I used it to get from one side to the other as a kid or maybe a bit later to avoid the rain but it wasn't much use apart from that.

Hi, the tunnel ran from the main co-op side between the restaurant and the coffee shop and opposite the lift to the Big Top side which was the gardening / household goods. The one side of the tunnel had displays of goods from the household section. My Mom worked at the co-op for most of her working life and only finished when the co-op closed in 1985.

Hello there, I remember the tunnel! For a start my mother worked there actually within the tunnel she was a silver service waitress in the restaurant which formed part of it. In 1976 I got a job in the furniture department and used to go and see my Mom in my lunch hour. It was made up of garden and household goods as dipsydiva rightly States.
wow, memories come flooding back, thanks for this re awakening.

Hi, the tunnel ran from the main co-op side between the restaurant and the coffee shop and opposite the lift to the Big Top side which was the gardening / household goods. The one side of the tunnel had displays of goods from the household section. My Mom worked at the co-op for most of her working life and only finished when the co-op closed in 1985.
What was her name does she remember bernie mullane

Now I remember the tunnel! There was a coop barber shop down there somewhere that I used to go to. During my apprenticeship I would work on sat morning from 7 to 1 then take the bus from Perry Barr to get my hair cut. I did this because you (men) could make an appointment and not waste hours sitting around.
I would walk from there to the fish market and get a could of dishes of usually mussels and welks then take the 29 bus to Handsworth. With just enough time to stop near the bus stop to pick up my starched collars.
Walk home, take a bath put my suite on and get back on the 29 to meet up at the Kardomah for a night on the town!
Did not have much but a LOT of fun!

Now I remember the tunnel! There was a coop barber shop down there somewhere that I used to go to. During my apprenticeship I would work on sat morning from 7 to 1 then take the bus from Perry Barr to get my hair cut. I did this because you (men) could make an appointment and not waste hours sitting around.
I would walk from there to the fish market and get a could of dishes of usually mussels and welks then take the 29 bus to Handsworth. With just enough time to stop near the bus stop to pick up my starched collars.
Walk home, take a bath put my suite on and get back on the 29 to meet up at the Kardomah for a night on the town!
Did not have much but a LOT of fun!
A few times my Mum took me down the stairs to the silver service restaurant for a lunch. More often I remember we went down for the wines and spirits counter which in my memory was on the lefthand side at the bottom of the stairs.

Could this thread not be merged with 'Co-op High Street B'ham'
which was started on Oct 24, 2006?

Back