• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

C & A Modes Corporation street

I used to love their Clockwork teenage fashion range in the late '70's, I had a lovely dark pink and grey bib and braces dress for a party from there, my first pencil skirt (black with a split at the back) in 1979, loved that skirt, I wore it until it fell apart and mom and dad brought me a gorgeous black and white "2 Tone" dress from there for Christmas 1979. I felt like a pop star when I wore it, especially when I found some of moms original '60's shoes!

Had loads of tops and jumpers from there, including my school jumper as they were one of the few places back then who sold fashionable clothes in bottle green.

Then I used to buy stuff from the Rag Market, sometimes Oasis, and Chelsea Girl, loved their clothes and bags!

I used to love their Clockwork teenage fashion range in the late '70's, I had a lovely dark pink and grey bib and braces dress for a party from there, my first pencil skirt (black with a split at the back) in 1979, loved that skirt, I wore it until it fell apart and mom and dad brought me a gorgeous black and white "2 Tone" dress from there for Christmas 1979. I felt like a pop star when I wore it, especially when I found some of moms original '60's shoes!

Had loads of tops and jumpers from there, including my school jumper as they were one of the few places back then who sold fashionable clothes in bottle green.

Then I used to buy stuff from the Rag Market, sometimes Oasis, and Chelsea Girl, loved their clothes and bags!
If I remember correctly, it was ClockHouse rather than Clockwork

Around 1970 I had a maxi dress from C & A for a school friend's 18th birthday party. It had a cream background with a pattern of broken-up circles in orange and gold, and the top was a bit smocked. It cost £3.00, which was probably a lot for my parents in those days (at the time I didn't realise that).
Afterwards, I cut it down to make a smock top, so got good value out of it!

maria

The beauty of maxi clothes Maria! I had a long jersey maxi coat which I later transformed into a jacket and mini skirt. Loved that too. Viv.

Not too difficult Maria as it was jersey material. Most difficult bit was inserting the zip into skirt. Dressmaking was taught at school. Very few schools do it today. Think the closest you'll get to it today in schools is 'Textiles'. Glad I learnt at school because it's meant I've always been able to alter clothes and save a fortune on paying someone else to do it. Viv.

The 1937 official re-opening of the Corporation Street branch. Think this probably followed enlargement of an earlier store on the same site (?). Don't remember those columns nor the balcony - maybe they were 'modernised' (ie removed/covered over) by the 1960s. In their full page spread advert they highlight "you will not be pressed to buy". Like that. Can't stand being made to feel you should buy. Viv.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 13
Now discovered the building in #72 was bomb damaged and a shop was opened in High Street and New Street. Eventually by 1955 the earlier Corporation Street shop was re-built, hence the "Now all under one roof". And it became the largest GB store. Viv. image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 16
Does anyone know the date in 1971 that C&A opened in Birmingham. I have found a picture of it opening with crowds rushing in and lo and behold my wifes late Mother is there. The picture is in the Birmingham Mail (on line) along with other pics of stores that were in Birmingham.
Reddi

There appears to have been several 're-openings' and one mentioned below.

C&A was bombed in WW2 a few years after it re-opened the Corporation Street shop in 1937. There is information and some photos about the shop in the thread below.

Last edited:
I am sure it was open well before 1971 as I remember going before then.
So did I. It was my go to shop for clothes in th mid to late 60s. They had a section that was aimed at young women's fashion. I can't remember the name of the label. The other shop that was an affordable favourite was Dorothy Perkins.

There was a Clockhouse section in C&A that was particularly for young people but I'm not sure that goes back to the 60's.

That rings a bell. I think that was it. Strange name now I come to think of it. What was it meant to signify?

An aerial photo of C & A in 1949
An aerial view of the Big Top site in 1949, the Times building and the Co-Op partially block the view. C&A and Union Passage visible, and a sign of the those times, most cars were painted black.
index.php

image from 'britainfromabove'

Wasn't C&A in the old Henry's building in Union Street for a while?
Maybe while Corporation Street was being refurbished?

Back