• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burrows Marjorie Doris

Status
Not open for further replies.

louloubaby162

knowlegable brummie
I am trying to trace my mom,s, mother. Her name was Marjorie Doris Burrows, born in 1932.

I believe she may of spent time in foster care or even adopted. She married Jozef Gola in 1956 when my mom was born.

Anyone with any information please get in touch x

Re: Marjorie Doris Burrows

Hi have you contacted Social Services, to see if this was a formal adoption and if they have any records they could show you?

Sue

hi louloubaby
just been reading your request on finding your mothers family well i cannot build your hopes up but i am also trying to track down a person by the name of burrows a guy called stan burows whom was an old friend of mine way back in the fifties and sixties when we last met
at one time he lived around the hockley streets of the flats along with another friend and neibour by thename of harold hill;
and the name of josheph as you cal him being the father wich some how rings a tone to me that this was also related to stanley ;so i was just thinking at the top of my head are or could you be related to the stnley burros i am trying to find and also of the mothers marjorie ;stan went to ickneild street school
in the late fifties as i recall;
i hope you did not mind me asking as it would be great if i could make contact with him after all these years ; also i beleive he could have gone to south wales to live or he may have come back to brum; many thanks lou astonian ;;;

I really wish that i could help you with your search however i have never heard of a Stanley Burrows being in my family but then i do not really know anything about them at all.

My moms mother was Marjorie Doris Burrows and her father Josef Gola. They married in 1956 and when my mom was very young she left them and my mom never heard from her again.

I do not know if she had any brothers or sisters and my mom certainly did'nt know of any uncles. My mom did seem to think that she may of been adopted but its just hearsay.

The area that you mentioned is where i think they may of lived, Josef lived with a family and worked in a 'rolling mill', this is something else i do not know much about.

If we were in some way connected i would love to know but i cannot help with anymore information as i do not know much myself! I think that i will be searching forever. Maybe one day i will find something!

HI LOU
The more i think about it i am surethe two christian names ring a bell and that being related to stan saying about josepth and of marjory
i will try and track down some info; for you if i can se a couple of old friends whom may be able to shed some light on it
or if we can track down two people whomknew him very well and close to him more than me
i do know that in his later life around the 14 years old or fifteen years opld stan was also taken into care ;
i am trying hard to think which rd he lived in ,it was around the hockley area ; and i think it was just off the flat ;on lodge rd
stan would have been taken into care around the 1958-9 years and i beleive he was under the care of a mr keasley whom was a social worker
way back in the fifties ;whom used to take him out for day trips and look after him so to speak
and as i think back i am sure he used to tell us that this joseph fellow was a forigneer his mom was with and that he was his step dad this would have been around the 1955 - 56-7 years ; stan was a very likeably lad and his best mate was harold hill from the same street and school friend
another one of his cklass mates was a ray horton a curly haired kid ;
lou i will try and find some think out for you ;but i cannot be sure i will be able to track him down ;
he was in birmingham for those years and as i have said then in later years he went to a boarding schol in abergavenny south wales a plac called tymawr
i think if you contact the social services and asked for some onewhom may be able to trace a mr keasely ;he was a young fellow at the time
he always wore a light blue blazer with a badge on his blazer he used to have two or three kids on his book
i do beleive we have one or two people on this forum whom have been involved with social services ; i hope they do not mind me saying so
i know they are retired from it now but they may remebe a mr keasley ;
failing that if you write to the school in wales or the brecon social servives they wopuld have a record of his stay at tymawr gilwern nr abergaveny
for the period mentioned ; as to whomhis parents was but i have a friend whom would recall him from our school days whom live up the rd from his old rd , but i just cannot think of the dammed rd at the moment butgive a few days i will try for you ; best of luck and keep trying ; astonian;;

This is great information and yes my grandad josef was in the merchant Navy.

If this information is correct or at least part way to being true then that would mean that Stan Burrows was my moms step brother. If this is correct she has no idea.
Please let me know if you come up with anything else. Thanks so much for your help so far.

hi lou
well that confirms it for me ; we are on the right track stan is a relative ;
if i can make contact with my old friend dave allen and school friend and neibour of mine whom lived up the rd from where stan started is life
but i can remember him saying joseph ; and a couple f kids at the time started to laughwith him for the things he was saying
any way lou we have got the ball rolling so i will be starting on the trail later ; i do not know whether stan came back to birmingham or not ;
so the info; may be abit stiff to get hold of so eiher the school at tymawr can provide info; as to where he went after leaveing the boarding school
so it would be the breconshire social services council would have known where he went to after leaving the school as they would have dealt with this mr keasey
whom actualy cared for stan ; infact stan must be in his 60,s now at least or abi more . i cannot recall the year distance between us i am of course older than stan ; well lou ; i have to shoot of for now but i wll be in touchsoon ; have a nice day alan ; astonian ;

Hi, it may be worth purchasing a copy of the marriage cert for Josef and Marjorie.
There may be some additional info on there?
Jozef Gola
Spouse Surname:Burrows
Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1956
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume Number: 9c Page Number:540

Thank you. I do already have a copy of this but it doesn't shed much light.

The only think is that it says residence at time of marriage - Old Milverton- Leamington Spa.

But i have no idea where!

Hi guys ;
is it not possible for some-one who may have acces and a litle spare time to do a quick electrol roll on
this person for lolou ; as the sibbling of the named person lived in one or the other streets of hockley
i have reasonto beleive it could be all saints rd or [ hill] or park rd ;
the rd i am thinking of is the one that runs up the hill behind the hockley rail way station
which i think is a continuation of the al saints rd that run a cross the top of the rd facing scribbing bakery ;
or its park rd just of the flat ;
i hope you do not mind me trying to explain the rd where i think it is as some one like mike may have the map with the name of the rd on ;
walk along the flat and take your first rd on your left and turn towards the hockley station and ickneild st ;
but when you have taken your first left along the flat cross to your right over the rd the back of therailway wallsare hugely high and it goes all up that rd nd thats the road i think it was for burrows ; and hill ; and ray hortons with courts and terraced house ;
the year they was there would be around1957-8 even longer
the sibbling stanley was attending ickneild street at the time this request really is trying to get our lou lou on the start of finding marj ; and josepth as i know he his connected to these people; and lo is desperately trying to get a start ;
failing that i will go to brum and hockley [ crab tree rd and see an long timeschool friend and check the name of the rd and of stan;
i would really appreciate it if some one could a quick electro roll for those years ; on behalf of lou
happy st patricks day every one ; i am off to the land rover social club this evening for the st patricks dance ; at solihull ;
many thanks astonian;;

Guys

I just wanted to say a massive thank you for taking the time to help me.

My mom never really knew her family only her father and when he remarried my mom did'nt get on with her step mom so left home and so they was'nt that close.

If anyone can help me with any information it would be so great. I think that we could be onto something with Stanley Burrows and if it turned out that he was a relation i think me and my mom would be so happy to have finally found a family member.

Thanks again
Lou x

hi loulou and researchers helping lou
the more i think about the burrows marj was the mother to stan and i have reason to think that stan lived in leopole street hockley
way back in thr fiftys which was just off the flat at hockley up the side street which was at the rear of the hockley railway station ;
it went up a steep hill to all saints rd facing the church and school ;i beleive he was in attendants at the ickneld street up until 1958
his mate was harold hill whom also lived in these bad condition s of the houseingi and court yards is it possible to check an old education records
for his records that may show the excact address ; to be quite honest i myself would dearly like to meet up with stanley if he is still alive
i know he went to a boarding school in south wales called tymawy which was in the gilwern nr abergavenny monmouth and a social worker friend
was a mr kearns a young fellow at the time always wore a light blue blazer with a badge of some discription on it
may be he is living in wales ; one never knows may the social services of birmingham have a record of him moving to this boarding school
i suspect they may very well indeed best of luck astonian ;;;

Can anyone please help me with this search.

Does anyone remember a Stanley Burrows who may of lived with on leopole street, sometime in the fifties.
His mother may of been Marjorie Burrows, she had red hair. She married my grandad Jozef Gola, who was polish.
He worked at the Rolling Mill and was in the Merchant Navy.

If anyone can shed any light i would be so grateful.

Thanks

Lou x

Lou I know you posted this a longtime ago but.....

Was Marjorie Burrows her given name or adopted name as I cannot find a birth record for her?

Sue Burrows Simpson nee Burrows

HI YA LOU
Thank god yes i did respond to this along time ago its obvisously nobody done on the check for doris for stanley stanley ;in leopold street as i have said previously a long time ago i knew i was correct about my mate stanley i knew stan ; many years ago we was grt friends in school and out of school and doris was is mother i knew that ; stan ; was a great kid but he had problems on the home front around the fifty mark and got some kind of trouble for not going to school i could enlighten you on that but it would have to be off line of the forum i as i said i knew stan for many years from boy and tenage years from the street and the school we was in the same class at ickneild street and still friends years after ; i would dearly love to meet up with stan after all these years ;
but the big question is ;; where is stanley now ;? ; i last seen stan in 1960-1 he went to a boarding school for not attending school in is later years just before
leaving age ;he had a social services guy a true friend whom worked within the system ; whom regular visted stan from his younger days and through till he went to a boarding school for not going to school this mr x ; i will say used to visit stan in wales at the school and take him on holidays and regular visited him there
the school he went to was a place called tymawer in gilwern nr Abergavenny monmouthshire south wales ; it was an intermediate boys school
and to be honest i lost touch with them both ; since that period years ago ; he may have maried some one from wales or may have moved on to any where in the country where upon another las from farm street hockley went there and married a welsh girl ; heavens knows where stan is now
i think is mother did die many years ago as i am thinking back and his steph father was in the navvy where doris met him and he anmd the steph father never got on whilst his school ; days at ickneild street if stan is still alive he would be in his sixtys now [ mid sixtys ] it would be nice to track him down;
his steph father was from a foreign port ; as i recall ; lou ;
lou ;its nice to know some body out there recall them both ; i hope to hear good news from some body out there on here soon i hope
best wishes alan ;; astonian;;

hi lou ;
just abit more info; if i have rad your thread he would be your half brother stan had fair hair and curly growing up a cheeky kid but laughable and fumnny
and very likeable lad ; he had experience a hard time from his father in his growing up years with is step dad whom because is father was srict and i think was abit rebellious with him ;if there is any body from leoploe street in the fiftys they must recall stan or the step father ex merchant navvy man;
as i have just previously said i cannot mentionion names because he peopl may be alive but i could say off line
names he knew and grew up around him would have known as doris mainly by name in the street a close members of the family name of hills from the street would probaly know more on doris ; speak again i hope best wishes astonian;; alan;

I don't know if this means anything but Michael had a friend named Stanley Burrows who lived in Ellesmere Road, Saltley with his grandparents. This would have been around 1955. He was younger than Michael so born about 1946. He has a vague memory that Stan did not always live at this address as he was sometimes away possibly with his parents. He was nicknamed Bomber Burrows from his grandfather. Michael said this came about when he bought a few Anderson shelters and erected them together long ways in the garden. This made a massive garden shed. Does this ring any bells.

hi lou ;
may i suggest that you contact the breconsocial services in brecon south wales as they would have had the address as to where stan left to go and live
after leaving the school he would have left there around around 1962 or write or contact the school its self for there adress of the brecon council whom was in charge of the school at the time he was there ; i did put on the last thread where and name the school stan atteneded
during the years wendy put around 55 years stan was attending the ickneild stret school in the 58-9 years before he left to go to this school he was then around 14 years old and there until he was sixteen ; its a pity we o not have more members from leoplod street hockley ;on he forum whom lived closed to him and his father ;or his other friends whom lived next to him and the others he knocked about with whom could tell you about the mother
i am still racking my brains over the things he said about his mother and meeting this guy whom he never got on with as his step father ;
why not try and put a message in the birmingham mail for any info on stan; i think its the saturday edition where they do a colum for getting in touch ;
best wishes astonian ;; alan;

hi lou
May i say again about the boarding school went to in south wales called TYMAWR SCHOOL GILWERN when he was at that school it
was during the period of 19598-1959 and he would have left around 1961-2 but where he went to i cannot say but i can tell you if you contact the school
and asked them for there brecon council whom still run that school today for there address or even tap into google brecon council and you will find there address and then write to them they would still keep the records some where on as to where he went back to live or even go through the birmingham social services at head office and relay your plight tey possible still have records on there vaults some where
as i know there is care workers with in the forum they may be able to point the heads of the social sevices departments where records are kept ; but saying that we are talking many many years now near onfifty years aint it but knowing stan he would have come back to brum and hi best school mates
from the street and the schoolstephen leopole and harold hill street neibours and ray horton ;
other wise i cannot se how we can track him down but i am 99 percent doris died and i know he never got onwith his step father and i know 99 pecent he was in the navvy best wishes astonian;

HI GUYS ;
I Hope no-ones minds me bringing this family name back into play about stan burrows and the mising mother of a lady named doris burrows whom was
is mother but some-one seems to think it was her adopted name of simpson ;
but because i sen the name of a lady today as doris,s birhday ;i came back to me to think of doris burows and i started to think of her because of the name doris [ daft know ] but i thought about it and i recall the lads and stan saying years ago she had died and he was living with his polish father at the time in the early years at school ickneild street ;
also lou ; had said they cannot find any name on registers and may be it was an adopted name for her as well name changed
then i thought about jozeph is fathers name and the story went on at school he told us he married his mother in portugal and he was in the navvy
so i thought may be thats where she was registerd in what ever name she was at the time in josephs name and i thought from his name and if they got devorced and married a burrows surely one or the other name would show up on a marige document
surely geting a copy of jozephs marige certif would be a key question to resolving wher is margie and most of all stan; he would now be 67-8 years old
as i cannot recall he was a year younger or older than me at school class
On that subject do or not do does schools records show up whom is the parents name of a child whom goes to a particular school
on the head masters fles in there offices i would like to think we could find stan ; find mr keasy and i think we could find stan; if he his still alve
its taken me forty years to track and find a friend and thanks to our forum and friends i have finally found him ;
so i do beleive we could find stan for loulou ; best wishes Astonian;;

hi lou
I Have just been scrolling through the old request for you marjori burrows
we can establish stan is the son and half brother
there as been afew intrest in the burrows family and i am one of them
as i knew stan personaly from school and out side school i to have often wondered where he may be it would be grate if we could track him down i say i have thought of two ways to attempt to trace him either write and asked the birmingham social services for a record of stan going to tymawr boarding school way back in period of
1958-59 period he was there until 1961 when he would have left the shool
he had the social worker by the name of mr keasley a young fella whom also worked at mosely rd remand centre way back them where stan met him and he stuck with stan all through out is time being in the social services system
i beleive he was taken into care for he could not get on with joze is step father
after doris had died so this his where keasly comes into it keasly was a young fello at the time there is a possiblitity that keasy is still alive also on transfereing stan to south wales school [ tymawr ] in that years period keasy still visitit him and took him out for day trips so this bloke could be the answer to orbig queton on them both
where is doris and here hi stan;he had a geat personaliy for a kid
i think its safe to say now that all the investigation to do with this school was years ago as truly finished which in fact i know i as i could never discuss it y eago because it was going on case for five years but now its been done and dusted
but i ws going to s uggest you contact the birmingham social services records department and look into that year for mr keasley and stanley ;
failing that you could write to the brymawr social services records for that years
which is in the brecon council records as they was responible for that school where stan was in breconshire council but at last of all you write to the abergavenny police station in abergavenny whom was involved with the case of the school they had every person listed in the school for those years and the previous years before and after 1961years they closed down the school in the village and reopenend under a different name and only minor kids of both sexes are there now but i am sure youcould a resonse from either if you wanted ;
i will do my bit as well best wishes Astonian

HI LOU I Presume you have no luck in tracing stan;i can gaurantee you stan was in tymawr boarding school
he went5 there in 1959 late and he would have left in1961/62
i have been researching shortly after the school was closed down for reasons i cannot mentionioned but a year or two later
It reopenend for minor children of mixed children and had a complete name change along with knew masters there whom would not
have known stan; and i found out if you contact the gwent social services office instead of brecon as i have said because they
Have completely gone and dusted the school is in the hands of gwent social services now
as i have said previously he had a friend in social services whom he kept in touch with him from birmingham
he used to visit stan in the birmingham homes and later followed through to south wales he used to come and visit him
and take him out on day tripps he always looked foreward to his visit by the person i have previously named
I knew stan at school of ickneild street very well his friend from the street there was two kids he mixed with in our class
always boasted about his mother and father and he stated he never got on with his father the one you used and his mother had died
hence his disrupted attitiude to the society he was a sad lad with no fam,ily
Its my beleife that stan is living in south wales some where and does not want to come back to brum and made a new life for himself
but rest assured we are speaking of the same lad ; and i know i would like to meet up again with him
should you be reading this thread or any friends or sibbling of yours and would like to discuss with me you can contact me through email ;
best wishes alan , Astonian;

carol
IT WAS BEHIND THE HOCKLEY RAILWAY STATION IF YOU WALK ALONG THE FLAT AND TURN LEFT ONTO PARK RD IT WAS YOUR FIRST RIGHT
AND IT RAN UP TO ALL SAINTS RD AND SCHOOL FOR THOSE WHOM WENT TO ALL SAINTS SCHOOL IN THOSE DAYS
AND LEOPOLE STREET WAS JUST PRE WAR HOUSES AND COURTS AND NOT THE BEST OF HOUSES AROUND
LEOPOLE STREET WAS A VERY STEEP HILL OF A RD DIRECTLY BEHIND THE HOCKLEY RAILWAY STATION
AND REACHING TO THE TOP OF THE STREET THERE WAS ABOUT THREE HOUSES AND TWO SHOPS ONE WAS COTTRELLS FAMILY
WELL KNOWN AROUND THERE IN THOSE DAYS AND TURN RIGHT YOU WOULD BE FACING SCRIBBONS BAKERY ; AND THE HYDRULOGIC
PUB ON THAT CORNER OF ALL SAITS RD AND LODGE RD AND BACK DOWN TO THE FLAT
PASSING HOUSES AND THE FIREMAN PUB ; WHICH DOES NOT MENTIONED I NOTICE AND CHARLES HARRIS WHERE MY FATHER WORKED THERE FOR DONKEYS YEARS UNTILL HE DIED AND ALONG WITH SYLVIA; MOTHERWHOM WORKED THERE
YES I KNOW OF THE LEOPOLE STREET YOU MENTION AROUND FROM EMILY STREET AND THE EMELY ARMS WHERE I SPENT MOST WEEK ENDS
AND NIGHTS BECAUSE THE GAFFEERS ARE OLD FRIERNDS OF MINE FOR MANY YEARS I CAN REMEMBER
THEY SOLD OUT AND WENT TO ANOTHER PUB IN STOURPORT [ TOMMY AND BREEDA ] AND THE LATE TOMMY CURLY AND HIS FAMILY
USED TO COME AND ENTERAIN US TOMMY AND BREEDA USED TO MANAGE THE ROSE TAVEN IN HIGGATE FOR JOHN WHOM WAS THE OWNER
AND ALSO AFEW PUBS UP BRADFORD STREET MANY YEARS AGO
WHY DID TOMMY AND BREEDA LEAVE THE EMILYARMS BECAUSE TOMMYS POT MAN AT THE ROSE WENT TO BINGO ONE NIGHT
AND WON THE STAR PRIZE OF THE INTO NATIONIAL BINGO HALLS PRIZES HE WON THOUSANDS THATS HOW TOMMY AND BREEDA AND POT MAN MOVE ON AND LEFT JOHN PARTNERSHIP AND IT WAS JOHN BROWN AT IT WAS JOHN BROWN FROM THE COACH AND HORSE
WHOM BOUGHT THE EMILY ; AND THEN LATER HE BOUGHT THE HEN AND CHICKENS ON ROCKY LANE ASTON
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN;; Alan;;

well carol
If you recall little park rd you will recall the big high wall behind the hockley station along little park rd [ i should have said little park rd ]
and then if you was walking from the station entrance by the bridge and do you recall the pub oppersite and thats little park rd
walk down there heading to the flat and ford street but before you reach the flat on the same sideof the station there is a left turn up the steep street goes up hill and the huge wall of the railway christ knows how high it must have been that was the leople street with all the houses and courts and terraces at the top of the street thats where al saints rd runs across ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back