• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bruce James to Kate Robertson Marriage Look up

Jackie Hill

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I'm looking for the Marriage of James Bruce to Kate Robertson

I have a Birth Certificate for James George Bruce ( Son ) 1878

District Poplar Sub-District Bow in the county of Middlesex

On the Certificate it says his Father is James Bruce Mother Kate Robertson
I have search the index for their Marriage from 1870 to 1884 no luck

Could anybody check in case I have over look it

Thanks
Jackie

Re: Marriage Look up

James George Bruce
Poplar 1c 668

Sorry.... My mistake :(

Last edited:

Thanks Alb1ON

I have James George Bruce's Birth Certificate 1878

Its his Mom and Dads Marriage I'm looking for

James Bruce to Kate Robertson

Jackie

It's the way you word it.......

lol

Sorry.... My mistake :(

Last edited:

the only marriage i could find was james andrew t bruce to catherine mary p wodehouse in 1877 apr-jun middx.

in 1881 this appears to be the family in tower hamlets middx

martha briggs widow 57 b. chatham
mary eldred daughter widow 25 washerwoman b. essex
james bruce son-in-law 21 painter house b. poplar middx
catherine bruce 20 b. poplar middx
james 2 b. bromley middx
martha 1 mth b. bromley middx

so that would mean her maiden name was briggs! (unless her mom martha was a robertson then had a second marriage to a briggs)

this gets more and more confusing ....in 1871 bromley middx

stephen robertson 43
caroline 49
stephen 15
caroline 13
kate e 10
charles 8
eleanor j 5
elizabeth m 2

no sign of a martha or a briggs.

on igi someone has submitted an entry for james bruce with parents james bruce and kate eliza and other info if you have a look.

Thanks Shera

You got me this one before

And I had the Marriage you found

I think I will have to do some more research and see what comes up

Thanks
Jackie

Hi Shera

Have had a look on the IGI but can't find the entry you have found

Can you give me anymore info please

Jackie

this is driving me mad jackie. i cant find it now. it had dates of birth etc and going back more generations on the robertson side i think. it was a submitted entry. they didnt have a marriage date though, i noticed that. i have to go out now but will try again later. i wasnt imagining it :rolleyes: it was definitely there :redface::redface::redface:

thanks bren, but i wonder why it disappears. ive tried every way to find the entry again but its gone. i wish i had written down the details now but because there was quite a lot of info and generations i thought jackie would be better to look at it herself.

Hi Shera

Have been back on to the IGI but no luck

Heres where I started

George Henry Bruce married Pheobe Francis Annie Pritchard
1932 Sept Birmingham

George Henry Bruce Born April 1909 Luton
Father James George Bruce Mother Elizabeth Tolliday married in 1902 in Hackney Middlesex

James was 23 on the Marriage Certificate he has his father down as James a House decorator

They had George Henry April 1909, James George Died in Jan 1909 before George was born on the death certificate he is 30

That led me to James George Bruce

James George Bruce born 1878 Poplar
Father James Bruce Mother Kate Robertson

Then it all goes pear shaped have I gone down the wrong line ???????

Jackie

jackie could this be yours in 1901? i know the father is william instead of james but age of young james correct and william is a house painter.

william bruce 42 house painter
kate 40
james 22 boiler? builder? plasterer
florence 18 confectioner
stephen 14
thomas 12
william 8
lily 6
bertie 4
lillian 2
rose 1

all b. hackney london.

yes it is the right one as in 1891 father is james 32 and mother kate 30, so i think you are following the right family.

the puzzle is where martha briggs comes into it in 1881.

Hi Shera

I had this one in the first place, but you came back to me with a James in the 1891 which said he was born in Poplar and then the1881 with the one with Martha Briggs which also said he was born in Poplar

I think there was also a William Bruce married to a Kate when I was going through the Marriages

It could be the William Bruce is right and he was born in Hackney not sure I don't think I found a James Bruce born in Hackney there was another one born in 1879 but he was just James the only James George I found was the one in Poplar

Jackie

jackie i wouldnt worry too much about places of birth as long as they are in the area.

think this is the family 1871 and the martha should have read bruce not briggs :crying:
1871 bromley, tower hamlets poplar

thomas bruce head 50 labourer b. essex?
martha 47 wife 47 b. chatham
joseph winstead son-in-law dock lab.
mary winstead daughter marr. 17
james bruce 12 son b. bromley

and here they are in 1861 tower hamlets bromley

in a lodging house

mary raper? head lodging house keeper 68 b. essex
james bruce nephew marr.40 boiler maker b. essex
martha bruce neice marr. 37 b. chatham
maria winster daughter 9 b. essex
mary winster daughter 6 b. essex
james bruce son 2 b. bromley middx
henry bruce son 2 mths b. bromley middx

this is a very complicated family isnt it! i think you will have to have a look at it all written down to see if its correct.

think this must be the birth of james jnr shown in 1861 census

james william bruce 1859 jul-sep brentford middx 3a 50

Hi Shera

I have found a James Bruce born in 1859 Mar Q in Poplar Middlesex

Bromley is a district in Poplar

Jackie

I do try but there are things I just can't get my head round

Although I looked for weeks for a birth in Birmingham 1885 and couldn't find it in the end I wrote to Birmingham with the name the date 1885 not expecting to get it because I couldn't find it in the index, and low and behold the certificate came through the post a few days later

Jackie

did you notice that in the 1871 census i posted it is THOMAS bruce married to martha then in the 1861 census it is JAMES bruce married to martha. its obviously the same people but the bruces seemed to swap their names round whenever they fancied :D

Yes I did

When I first started my family tree I though it would be so easy because I believed Grandparants would be as white as the driven snow, I soon found out different, there never seem to bother what age they put down, they often put the wrong names, they use middle name instead of their given name even when they get married, and quite a few had a bun in the oven when they did

I have even had one registed as male so there is no name on the birth certificate

It all goes to drive you mad

Thanks Shera for all your help today

I must have taken up most of your day

Thanks again

Jackie

Isn't she a gem Jackie!

Well done yet again Shera, your help is invaluable on the site.:)

Hi Wendy

Yes Shera is a gem,

Last time she help me I asked Rod to give her a Gold Star,which he did

If you check the forum you will always see Shera's name by almost all Family History requests

Well done Shera you are a Gem

Thanks
Jackie

Hi Shera is this the one you found on the IGI

James William Bruce
17th July 1878 Bow London England
Father Frederick Arthur Bruce
Mother Charlotte Wiley

Frederick A Bruce
Birth 29th Dec 1832
Ireland
Marriage 30th April 1872
South Hackney London
Death 08 June 1917

Charlotte Wiley
Birth 31 may 1837 London
Death 23 Aug 1907

no jackie. it was definitely your family but going back a couple of generations. i cant tell you how many times ive tried to find it since, just dont know what has happened to it, but bren says it does happen often.
i will have a look now and then and if it comes up i will contact you about it. if only i had written all the info down :crying:

i particularly remember it started with james bruce b. 1878/9 father james bruce mother kate eliza robertson, which i thought was good because on the 1871 census where kate/catherine is with her family she is listed as kate e.

it was all in lower case because it was a submitted entry but went on to have full birth dates and other info of their ancestors.

Last edited:

jackie i have found what i think is part of the record on the igi but the one i found before came right through to james bruce jnr. with parents james and kate eliza.

anyway this is on the side of the robertsons.

put in stephen robertson b. 1829 father laurence robertson and mother elizabeth plowman. if you cant get it i have written down the info this time. it says stephen robertson was a mariner, rigger, shipyard lab.

Back