• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Park/ Cov Rd

New posting.
Picture number 4.
One for you Walt.
Ann Maloney and staff inside the 'Old Lodge pub' on Bordesley Park Road.
Again dated 1970's.298124_115324071902754_100002754860423_70453_7814850_n.jpg

Re-post due to site hacked some time ago.
Picture number 6.
Bordesley Park Road Masonettes on left, just turning into Miles street.
You can clearly see paper mill on Coventry Road.
Dated 1970's78.jpg

Picture number 7
Bordesley Park Road.
Not a good picture I'm afraid.310.jpgDated 1970's.

Picture number 8.
A resident outside her home, on Bordesley Park Road, with the old Lodge seen from its side in the background.
Again..dated 1970's.342. A resident outside masonette on Bordesley Park Road (Old Lodge in background).jpg

Picture number 9
Car parked on the corner of Miles Street off Bordesley Park Road.
Not great quality I'm afraid.
Dated 1970's.92.jpg

I'm sure I have some of these shots originally in color...I grey scaled some to suit the mood and decade.
Regards
redken

New posting.
Picture number 10.
Locals playing cards inside the 'Old Lodge pub' Bordesley Park Road.
Dated 1970's.
''Maybe you recognize301860_115223061912855_100002754860423_69881_6102311_n.jpg some one Walt''? Apologies for poor picture quality.

It's a shame ...''really it is''...I lost a lot of good historical pictures due to testing with development times back then, these pics were pushed quite a bit... ''they are grainy''.
Regards
redken

Re-posting due to site hacked some time ago.
Picture number 11.
Coventry Road with the 'Old Lodge pub' on Bordesley Park Road..who remembers the fish and chip shop next door?
Dated 1970's.68.jpg

Re-post due to site hacked some time ago'
Picture number 12.
Coventry Road...looking toward the 'Dolphin pub' and Bordesley bridge..Sandy lane is on the left by the lights, with Watery lane on the right.
'Old lodge pub' behind camera.
Dated 1970's244. A veaw of Coventry Road looking towards Bordesley bridge.jpg

Re-post due to site hacked some time ago'
Picture number 12.
Coventry Road...looking toward the 'Dolphin pub' and Bordesley bridge..Sandy lane is on the left by the lights, with Watery lane on the right.
'Old lodge pub' behind camera.
Dated 1970'sView attachment 75707

Thank you for posting all of those pictures; I used to work in this area around the time of these photos. I seems such a shame that this little estate was demolished to make way for road widening.

My friend and I would use most of these little pubs in the lunch hour; not all on the same day I hasten to add! Half a pint, a cheese andonion cob and a bag of crisps....heaven.

We used to play dominoes with a couple of women in the Plume of Feathers, they were really good.

Hi Redken
What a great photo. The position Where this photo was taken from, the person would have had his back to the transport firm
(Atlas Express) i mentioned on another photo, assuming it was still there at this time. I am really enjoying
these photo's, thanks for showing them.

Regards Stars

Hi Redken
Ann and John Moloney were good friends of mine, I looked after The Wrexham for them for 6 weeks while they were back in Ireland. Thant's one of the Daughters in the background i know all her kids, Dennis runs a little business selling Ex Catalogue stuff now.
Wal

Hi Redken,

Seeing the chippy next door to the Old Lodge brought back memories. The chips were so pale I'm sure they were just frightened by the fat. Fish and chips 1/3d.

Thanks every one for kind comments and personal memories...it is difficult sometimes to remember things we should least forget.
The widening and re-development of the roads around this area has not left a trace of what was there once.
Thank goodness for the intevention of photography in our society.
I can honestly walk down the lenth of coventry road, ie..from the bus depot same side as MCdonalds...and place exactly where my friends lived in those old houses that lined that route. I remember the Jone's outdoor...knee hight to a grass hopper then, spending my threepence pocket money.
Regards
redken

Picture number 14.
New post.
I'm sure my sister won't mind this post...she's a grown women now.
I've posted this shot because of the scene behind her.
They are Bordesley Park Road houses.
I would dearly love to see some face on shots of those old houses, along with the little business's that were there when I was a kid.
This is the closest I've come to finding any..jpgDatedaround 1968.

[FONT=&amp]Remember McGauley’s up on the “Cov?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Plume and the Dolphin and the Old Lodge?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Remember the Kingston on a Saturday Morn[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And smacking the horse with your trousers all worn?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Kicking a ball in black Kingston ash[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Then returning home with a sweat laden dash[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]To pick up a Jubbly frozen of course[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]From the shop near the doctors[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Then milk from the co-op brought by the horse[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Bordesley Park Road the 28 bus[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And old Mrs Fisher who sat in her shop[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And nibbled at cheese and never got cross[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Then Patrick’s greengrocers and spuds for the chips[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And kali so yellow it coloured your lips[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Go under the arches down Lawden Road[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And watch the Great Western along the railroad[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Remember the park with just the one swing [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And the plaque by the station that said one thing[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“The best people in the world come into this shop – Our Customers.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]By Watery Lane just by the lights[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Father and son barbers who put matters right[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And next round the corner remember the sty[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]By the old GPO and the pig you went by[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Then the old chip shop next to the pub (Old Lodge)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Where she frightened with fat a tanner of grub[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]And the buses that roared up the “Cov” every day[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The 16 and 17, 54, 58. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]UpTo Cranes Park the 60 would go[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Nothing would stop them not even the snow.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The sledge ride we took down the Mount Pleasant hill[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]With Barry and Reggie and Pongo and Bill [/FONT]

Briliant Beamish you just described my early days in Bordesley Park Rd. Amazing how many sledged down
from Mount Pleasant, as a child lived a house at the bottom of the sledge run they called them slums but
my memories are all pleasant and all who lived there looked after one another. Cheering Roy Rogers and
booing the baddies at the Kingston on Saturday morning was great.

Picture number 17.
My brother and sister with Ann Maloney inside 'Old Lodge pub' corner of Bordesley Green Road.
A trophy presentation shot.
Dated 1970's.img126.jpg

Hello redken seeing picture 17 of your brother and sister is that Alan in the photo ? it does look like him. all the best FT.

Thanks FT.
Picture number 18.
Bordesley Park Road.
I'm re-posting this picture (it's not my work)..I tagged it some time ago for nostalgia...I think this is one of the pictures lost from the site due to 'hackers'
This is the only face on shot I have ever seen of these old houses on this part of Bordesley Park Road.
''I love this shot, I really do''. The little shop we used as kids is just out of picture to the right, as well as having friend that lived in these homes close to it.
Our house(Mount Pleasant) was at the top of the hill behind them,we used to play on what we called the 'Bompec' I used to walk through an alleyway to reach home faster.
It's not great picture quality but warms the heart never the less.s the little sweet shop we used as kids is just out of shot.jpg

Hello redken i think i remember that little shop, also the allyway, was it the one that was between Mitchells and the coventry rd flats, as there was a bombed peck at the other end leading to Watery lane . FT.

Hi Formula t.

You know, you have just described an area I remember so well....it was a walk through at the bottom end of coventry rd maisonettes, the walk way was between the walls of the old paper mill and the maisonettes them selves, leading to Dart Street, directly facing you at the end was the 'bompec' walking across it as I did so many times led to Garrison lane ''yes''. Bordesley Park rd would be on the opposite side of coventry rd coming through the walk way in the opposite direction.

Great Beamish.
Of the 3 names you mentioned at the bottom...it wouldn't be reggie Thomas of Mount Pleasant would it?

Back