• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Park/ Cov Rd

B

BlueGwen

Does anyone know anything about the (now demolished) building near the junction of Bordesley Park Road (or was it Bolton Road?) and the Coventry Road? It was a derelict building in 1973. Thanks :)

Hi Bluegwen I remember it was an old paper mill if its what you are refering...it was indeed opposite the Junction of Bordesley Park Road..also there was the Old Lodge pub on it's opposite side of the road. Yes it has been demolished..but not sure on the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
1..Masonettes on Bordesley Park Road
2..Land lady of the Old Lodge..right side.
3..A shot from the door step of the Dolphin Pub looking towards the Old Lodge..Watery Lane is where the Ad boards are running to the left side.
4..A shot of the Old Lodge Pub showing people in it's doorways.
5..A car parked on Miles Street directly outside the 'Horse and Jockey Pub'.

Four photos replaced by what I think are originals

Attachments

• Land lady of the Old Lodge..right side.jpg
    Land lady of the Old Lodge..right side.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Masonettes on Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    Masonettes on Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Miles Street, off Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    Miles Street, off Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Old Lodge Pub Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    Old Lodge Pub Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 2
here are some more pics.
Some photos replaced

Attachments

• Massonettes on Bordesley Park Road...the old paper mill is in shot.jpg
    Massonettes on Bordesley Park Road...the old paper mill is in shot.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Masonette in front of the Old Lodge pub on Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    Masonette in front of the Old Lodge pub on Bordesley Park Road.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Outside the Old Lodge Pub...Paper mill in shot..jpg
    Outside the Old Lodge Pub...Paper mill in shot..jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
The Pic of the landlady in The Old Lodge is Ann Maloney a friend of ours who kept The Wrexham before they moved to The Lodge.
Walt00

My mom was bar-maid at the Old Lodge for years. First when Dan Tremelling - Blues goalkeeper - was licensee and later when Gordon - I can't think of his surname - took over. The chip shop next door to the Old Lodge made the worse chips on the planet! Who remembers Mrs Fisher's shop on Bordesley Park Road and Patrick's the green-grocer as you went under the railway bridge on the left going toward Bolton road from the Cov?

I remember a little shop basically in the centre of Bordesley Park Road, used it as kids..there was a scrap car dealer close to the bridge opposite the Horse and Jockey then...I also remember there was a betting office amongst these too, all on the same side of the road.
Begging to see some pictures.

redken

Great photo's redken, as a child used to sledge down the slope from Mount Pleasant on corrugated steel sheet it was the roof of a air raid shelter I think.
Also remember the little shop a family called the Nelders lived in the end house, Coventry Rd. end.

You know Woffy, thats exactly what we did as kids...slid down the embankment towards the old houses at the bottom, which were Bordesley Park Road houses...I knew a few kids there...surnames escape me at the moment...but I remember..Johnny..had a brother called Peter..next door to them, who incidently shared an alley way..had a big dog which at times was loose...used to scare me big time..I used to cut through that alley way to get home to Mount Pleasant. Maybe you know my family woffy, we lived at number 46 Mount Pleasant.

I remember too...when sliding down that slope..at the bottom there was something sticking out, could have been an old bed iron or something of that nature.
Do you remember that?

Hi redken
lived in one of those old houses with granparents name of Perkins . if the alleyway was near Coventry Rd. then a Johny lived in a house on the right surname of Nelder.
May have slid down the slope with you sometime, we hit something at bottom once and turned the sledge over and I broke a wrist. The sledge I think was part of a
Anderson shelter, we moved to Sheldon and my granparents to Artillery Rd. not far from Bordesley park Rd. Strange its many years ago but seems like yesterday.

Hi Woofy, the Johnny I'm refering to lived close to that little shop I refered to, thats about a 3rd of the way along the road...somewhere on this site is a shot of a tram coming down Bordesley Park Road...it's not a great shot in terms of quality...but holds quality in terms of memories...and the shop... it's just out of shot.
Maybe we did meet back then and shared time on that slope.
Sorry to hear you broke a wrist back then, it could have been a lot worse...the more I think about that object sticking out...the more I remember of its danger to us kids.
It sounds like an anderson shelter ok(your old sledge...corogated).
Back then my mother couldn't afford expensive shoes, I remember a pair with plastic soles.
''You know...this is true''...''I believe I was the fist to slide down that water drenched slide on foot''...I was scared wittless because I was traveling so fast. I got off with lots of thumping heart beats.
There were lots of does and don't that we did do back then.
Great to remember though.

Some wonderful photos there, i have family connections with the area, Grandparents lived on Miles Street before they were married in 1897, Great Grandparents lived on Bordesley Park Road

in 1891, later moved to Bolton Road and then Russell Grove. My Father was born in Cooksey Road. Family also had relatives running the Horse and Jockey PH in 1881.

Wish i had known all this fifty years ago and could have had a good look around before it all changed forever....

Thats right Wolt, It was an elderly lady who served me as well...I feel pretty confident there were 2 sisters running that fish and chip shop...even back then, running a fish and chip shop was a lot of work for 2 people, ''let alone1''. I remember the potatoes were peeled by hand back then, and your chips were wrapped in newspaper.

Regards
redken.

1. This is Watery Lane looking towards the 'Barrel Inn'.
2. Miles Street, taken from Bordesley Park Road.
You can clearly see the 'Plume of Feathers Pub' with other building characteristics that were still standing when this shot was taken.

Lost photos replaced by what I think are same as originals

Watery Lane looking towards the 'Barrel Inn'.jpgMiles Street, taken from Bordesley Park Road.jpg

Hi Beamish

I can not get the picture to show on your thumbnail for Mitchells.
Does the picture show the full name of the paper mil ? my mother worked there in 1920/30's
and I would love have a bit more information.
There is a good chance her first husband worked there as well
Many thanks
R0Y

Here are some shots I took myself many years ago, and deleloped.

The negitives are beginning to fade somewhat due to the fact they were originally chemically produced then.

The shots aren't far away from Bordesley Park Road.

Sandy Lane...I hope someone likes them.Most of my shots here were taken at night.
The first picture shows Sandy Lane bridge from the canal basin.
You can clearly see the factory to the left of Sandy Lane.

Here we go then.sandy lane.jpg...

Here is number 2.

This picture is just off Miles Street, masonettes were on the left...demolished in this shot..Sandy Lane bridge is just behind the camera.
2012-03-28_2.jpg

Picture number 7. Last shot of Sandy Lane bridge looking toward Watery Lane, Miles street can be seen to the right,alas, the houses are gone here.2012-03-28_10.jpg

redken ,would you object if I used your pic No. 6 as material for a watercolour painting, it the sort of subject which appeal to me appeals to me. Eric

Here is shot number 8.
I took this in the city behind the PO towers waterway system
I used infra red film to get the effect you see in the picture.po tower.jpg

Shot number 9.
This is one of my favorites..again I used infra red film...I love the way it picks out details.
I apologize..I did not catalog the location, maybe you know.
It's located around the outskirts of town.2012-03-28_18.jpg

Shot number 10.
These shots are some years old..but am afraid I cannot be precise.
This is Barn't Green resevo.. (sailing club)
Infra red film usedt green sailing club.jpg for special effects.

Hi redken
Some great pictures there of sandy Lane Bridge. I remember a transport firm called ( Ansells and Spiers) were there, then later Atlas Express.
There were many a truck and the odd bus got stuck underneath that bridge in the late 60s. Thanks for posting them.

Regards stars

redken the sailing club photo is to me spectacular...also love the canal shot on post 70 and i would think that the buildings in it are no longer there..

once again many thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us...

lyn

Back