• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boat builders in and around Birmingham

I recall Allens Yard in Oldbury. My dad worked there when I was young. It was almost a replica of the boat builder’s yard at the Black Country Museum.

I have a feeling hat there is information about Allen’s Yard on the internet.

I recall Allens Yard in Oldbury. My dad worked there when I was young. It was almost a replica of the boat builder’s yard at the Black Country Museum.

I have a feeling hat there is information about Allen’s Yard on the internet.
Here is a message by Dave Moore on the Canal World Forum in 2016

Les Allen was the father, sons Bob and John were building from the 70s at least till they finished in the 90s. They built a solid, traditional shell based on working boat lines at Oldbury in the West Midlands. They were highly regarded by many boaters. John Horton worked with them in the later years and went on to build shells at Penkridge. Waterways World's technical editor, Graham Booth, has one of their shells which features in his book on boat fitting. Old age was the reason for retirement...shell building is hard work!

Joseph Worsey, b 1805 steerer/boatman of Toll End Tipton. (His mother married Edward Fellows later of Fellows, Moreton and Clayton fame.) His son Peter was a steerer, colliery contractor and boat maker employing two men at Bagots Bridge Cottage,Tipton. Other Worseys went on to buy up property at Toll End until practically all of it was Worsey owned. Peter's son, George Charles, was a boatman and canal carrier latterly residing in Winson Green. On his daughter Emma's birth certificate, George is listed as an iron dealer, carter and journeyman living in Winson Green. There is a photo in the Walsall Archives of the Worsey boat yard.
(There is a road in Tipton called Worsey Drive.)
Incidentally, a certain William Worsey, brother of the artist Thomas Worsey, was the landlord of a canalside pub. He was transported for the murder (later changed to manslaughter because he was drunk at the time) of his wife. He ended up in Fremantle where he was found drowned on the date of the second anniversary of his wife's death. Sad story. Thomas the artist is said to have been the instigator of painting roses and castles on boats. He was a japanner by trade in Birmingham. Unfortunately, he died aged 49 from complication due to 'diabetes and exhaustion'.

Last edited:
For info. Adding a link to this boat builder to this thread.

Viv

Sheepcote Lane was beside old Birmingham Canal, what is now the Oozells Loop. It is now Sheepcote Street.
If I recall correctly Broadfields Dock is mentioned in rate books.

It is also shown in a previous part of this thread.

broadfield dock.jpg

The land belonged to the Grammar School and it seems that Samuel Hodgkinson had the lease before Thomas Broadfield. and Thomas still had the boatyard in 1830. After his death, the business was carried on briefly by his wife Sarah, and son William. That partnership was dissolved in December 1831 and the house was up for sale in 1833. The lease was due to expire on Ladyday 1832, which no doubt influenced to ending of the boatyard tenure as belonged to the Broadfield family.

The dock was on a site on the west side of Sheepcote Street bridge, as it now is.

It would be useful to know more about Samuel Hodgkinson's link to the Dock. He was a canal engineer and had posts that included working for the Birmingham Canal Navigations for a time

Thomas Broadfield built and repaired canal boats. In 1812 he had for sale part of the fleet that belonged to the Stratford and Henley Coal Company, which he had repaired. Hodgkinson was then in the post of Engineer to the BCN.

Last edited:
In March 1830 Samuel Hodgkinson was granted the lease vested in Thomas Broadfield, that was due to end on Lady-day 1832.
Dockyard for boats. Estimated annual valuation at expiration of lease £16.

Back