• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Broadfield & Sons Boat Builders Sheepcote Lane

Em1906

proper brummie kid
Hi all

I've discovered that one of my ancestors was Thomas Broadfield (born mid-late 1700s). I know from researching him that he owned a boat building company on Sheepcote Lane.

I wonder, does anyone know where this lane was? I found in the Wrightson's Triennal Directory of Birmingham (1818) that he is listed as a boat builder on Sheepcote Lane. I also know that he had the boat dock there from around 1808 and until he died in 1825, when it passed to his wife Sarah and his sons. It was then sold in the early 1830s. I'd love to try and find out where this might have been.

Many thanks

In the 1829 Wrightsons , as well as Sarah in Sheepcote Lane, there was also a William Broadfield in King Alfred's Place, not that far away. But this latter road, as can be seen on the 1808 map below (marked in purple), is not next to a canal, so is possibly just offices, with the work done on Sheepcote Lane. Sheepcote Lane is marked in red, and crosses a canal at only one point, so that is presumably where the yard was.

Map 1808 showing sheepcote Lane in red.jpg

The following cuttting shows the yard was next to the New Union Mill. Therefore it must have been where the 1889 map below shows a ferrule works, marked with a purple cross

map 1889 showing where Thomas Broadfields boat yard was around 1810.jpgAris Birm Gaz. 22.6.1812.jpg

Hi all

I've discovered that one of my ancestors was Thomas Broadfield (born mid-late 1700s). I know from researching him that he owned a boat building company on Sheepcote Lane.

I wonder, does anyone know where this lane was? I found in the Wrightson's Triennal Directory of Birmingham (1818) that he is listed as a boat builder on Sheepcote Lane. I also know that he had the boat dock there from around 1808 and until he died in 1825, when it passed to his wife Sarah and his sons. It was then sold in the early 1830s. I'd love to try and find out where this might have been.

Many thanks

Hi all

Many thanks

Back