• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boat builders in and around Birmingham

Sheryl

proper brummie kid
.....My GG Grandmother was Hannah Jarvis Parkes. She was born about 1803 in Tamworth & in 1832 married John Carter at St Martins. John was a city councillor for the Ladywood Ward for 27 years & also owned a canal boat building business at Ladywood.....

Edit.
The early posts on this thread are made up of extracts from several other threads. They are copied to this thread as they mention boat buikders and boat building businesses (usually canal boats) which have existed in and around Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marge
I don’t remember seeing this post before. Thanks to Adele for bringing it forward.

The following information from directories may be of interest:
1845 – No mention
Cotterell Joseph, boat builder; house, 25,Sheepcote street
Cotterell and Large, boat builders, Sheepcote street
1855-1862
Cotterell Joseph, boat & barge builder, Sheepcote street dock, Islington

The area called sheepcote St dock (also incorporating no 25 sheepcote st) is that marked Oozells St dock on the 1890 map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10089&ox=4222&oy=1832&zm=1&czm=1&x=311&y=136 .

1868- 1884 He is named here variously as Joseph Cotterill or Cotterell
Cotterill Joseph boatbuilder, dock, Icknield Park road
(In 1873 his home is given as 11 Linden terrace, Icknield street West)
1888 – no listing

mike

Can anyone recommend books which might have photos of the Birmingham Boat Building area of 1850 or historacl books which I could purchase from australia
Marg

In 1841 my 3 x gt grandfather lived in Sheepcote Street, occupation Boat Builder. I would think that although there is no mention of Joseph Cotterell in the directories, there was a boat building business close by as there are other men shown as boat builders and living in Sheepcote Street. My grandfather was a greengrocer in 1851, his wife ran the business after he was run over by a horse and cart.

Di Poppit
I’m sure you are right about there being boatbuilding businesses nearby. The 1841 directory lists:
BOAT BUILDERS.
Bamford Hannah, Worcester wharf
Booth John, Ladywood dock
Brettall Benjamin, Ladywood dock
Lovekin Richard, Ladywood.
None of these however seem to be at Sheepcote street dock (or Oozells wharf as it was later called) . It is very possible that this wharf at that time was still being constructed. The attached map shows the area supposedly in 1839 with the area that would become the dock on the right hand side of the road as gardens. The date is undoubtably slightly wrong as it gives Sheepcote street as being crown st/ nelson st, but does presumably indicate that the wharf/dock on the right of the road was built fairly soon before 1841.
mike

sheepcote_st__1839.jpg

Hi everyone,

Have been trying to find out more about my ancestors on my grandmothers side, it appears that my Great, Great Grandfather 'David Goodyear,' born in 1811 (approx.) in Tipton Staffordshire, came to Birmingham with his wife (Hannah) and 7 children some time between 1845 and 1848. He appears to in the 1851 census living at 4, Oozells Street, Birmingham, his occupation is listed as a ‘Sawyer And Timber Dealer’ and was now living with his wife and 10 children! He next appeared in the 1861 census living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road, His occupation is now listed as ‘Timber Dealer’’ and whilst his eldest son has married and left home his remaining nine children are still at home along with a lodger named ‘Edwin Smith’ (my great grandfather). He died in the third quarter of 1869 in Aston, aged 59.

David's eldest son, Thomas Watson GOODYEAR, (b 1837 in Bewdsley, Worcs). In the 1861 census his occupation is listed as a ‘Sawyer’ and he is lodging at 3, Court 2, Stoke Street, Birmingham. He next appeared in the 1871 census Beale Street Vale Place, Aston, with his wife Eliza and six children, his occupation is listed as a ‘Boat Builder’. In the 1881 Census living at 7 & 8 Southalls Buildings Long Acre, Aston, now with ten children, occupation ‘Master Boat Builder.’ Thomas appears for the last time in the 1891 census living at just 7 Southalls Buildings Long Acre, Nechells.

Next eldest of David's sons, Edwin GOODYEAR (b 1839 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appears in the 1861 census as a ‘Boat Builder’ No record can be found for Edwin in the 1871 census and in the 1881 census his occupation is ‘Timber Dealer.’ He died in the 4th quarter of 1931 at the age 92!

Third eldest, William Henry GOODYEAR (b 1841 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appeared in the 1861 census as a ‘Boat Builder’ living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road, Birmingham. In the 1871 census he is living in Golden Hillock Lane The Hollier, Aston, Birmingham and in the 1881 census he is living at 18, Sampson Road, Aston, with his wife and six children, occupation ‘Master Boat Builder.’ In the 1891 census they are living at 6, Francis Villas, Francis Road, Yardley, Hay Mills, his occupation is now listed as ‘Timber Dealer.’ In the 1901 census William and his wife Harriet are living at 16, Eton Road, Balsall Heath, his occupation has returned to being a Boat Builder. His four youngest children are still living at home. There is no record of William or Harriet in the 1911 Census.

Fourth eldest son, David GOODYEAR (b 1843 in Chaddesley Corbett, Worcs) appeared in the 1861 census listed as a ‘Boat Builder’ and is living at 2, Front House, Icknield Port Road. He appeared in the subsequent census' living as a lodger with his married sister Lydia SMITH (my Great Grand Mother) and her husband Edward SMITH, he died in 4th quarter 1892 in Birmingham.

Have found the attached extracts from the London Gazette which detail David Goodyear's Insolvency and dissolving of E & W Goodyear Boat Builders but would love to find out if their are any more positive records of their endeavours.

There were lots of other Goodyear's, including the two youngest sisters Maria and Charlotte Priscilla GOODYEAR who appeared in the 1871 census in Springfield Street, West, Birmingham, they list their occupations as ‘Professor of Dancing.’ Bit removed from boat building but another interesting branch to follow

I don’t know if these are helpful (where no directory listed it is Kellys):. I have included all Goodyears listed in the commercial section, though some may have no connection, and have gone up to 1913. I think the baker William Henry must be different to yours, but there might be a connection. You will see William Henry is listed briefly in 1910 as a boatbuilder, and a William appears again as one briefly in 1903:
Whites 1848: Goodyear David, timber dealer, Oozells st.,North ; home:14, Cumberland st
Slaters 1852: Goodyear David, sawyer Mill St
Whites 1855: : Goodyear David, English timber dealer, 4,Oozells street
Dix’s 1858 : Goodyear David, boatbuilder, Icknield port rd; home, Freeth st
David is not listed in the 1862 corporation directory, but there is a George Goodyear, , brass tube maker, Icknield Port Road- though there may be no connection
Corporation 1862 : Goodyear, Thomas, sawyer, 6 Scotland St, Parade.
1868: Goodyear,Edward & William, boat builders, 5 Kingston Road.
1868: Goodyear, Samuel, shoemaker, 26 Ingleby St
1872 : Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, Plume street
1872 Goodyear Wm. boat builder, Canal bank, Sandy la. Camp hill
1873-83: Goodyear Edwin, timber dlr. Charles Henry st
Whites 1873: Goodyear George, shopkeeper, 219 Icknield Port road
Whites 1873: Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, Plume street ; home Vale
Place. Beales street. Aston
Whites 1873: Goodyear William Henry, boat builder, Croyden villa,
Golden Hillock road
1876-1905: Goodyear Thomas, boat builder, 53 Plume street (number Plume st only listed after 1897)
1876-78: Goodyear Wm. boat builder, Canal bank, Sandy la. Camp hill
1876: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 31 Dudley road
1878: Goodyear William Henry, baker, Grove Lane Smethwick
1878-80 Goodyear,Esther ( Mrs), dressmaker, 35 Barford Street South
1879-80: Goodyear William Henry, baker, Grove Lane Smethwick & 129 Spring Hill
1882-92: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 169 Grove Lane Smethwick
1884-92 : Goodyear Edwin, timber dlr, 428 Moseley Road
1888-92: Goodyear,Esther ( Mrs), dressmaker 1 Varna road
1895-99: Goodyear Edwin, timber merchant, 152 Moseley Road (this is the same place as earlier, but street renumbered.)(In 1900 it seems to have been taken over by George Shipway, timber merchant)
1895-96 Goodyear, joseph, butcher, 35 Gt Russell St & 23 Summer Lane
1895-99 Goodyear William Henry, baker & confectioner , 3 Cape hill & 206 Windmill Lane
1897 Goodyear, Joseph, butcher, 35 Gt Russell St
1897-1900 Goodyear, Lucy (Mrs) dressmaker, 35 Ladywood Road
1899-1900 Goodyear & Parker, Drapers,30 Lincoln St,,Balsall Heath
1899-1900 Goodyear, Mary Ann (Mrs), Kings Head PH, 73 Bell Barn road
1900-13 Goodyear, Alice Maud (Miss) , milliner, 178 Stratford rd
1900-08 Goodyear William Henry, baker & confectioner , 3 & 104 Cape hill & 206 Windmill Lane & 372 Dudley Road.
1903-04 Goodyear. George, hairdresser, 181 Corporation st
1903 Goodyear, (Mrs). Dressmaker, Ladywood Grove, Ladywood road.
1903 Goodyear, William, boatbuilder, Brittania wharf, Watery Lane
1910-13: Goodyear Charles, dining rooms, 62 Dudley road
1910-13: Goodyear William Henry, baker, 528 Bearwood road ; 32 Cape hill & 206 Windmill lane, Smethwick
1910: Goodyear William Henry, boat builder, Blcws street
Mike

It's funny that the description was 'boat building'...well not funny but maybe accurate. I read on here, years ago now in 'the canals of birmingham' thread, that the canal watercraft were always called boats and your post seems to confirm the same. I think Narrow Boats was the official designation. If you have not looked at the affore mentioned thread, then you might want to see it by entering it in search. Narrow boats are still being made around the country. Steel is used now rather than the wood of long ago and pleasure craft rather than working boats. Perhaps, though, some original work yards are still being used, maybe under the same name for some. A google of 'canal boat builders' will probably yield material but perhaps you have done this already.

In my search for the origins of my ggg grandfather I have come across a reference to a Benjamin Gregory of Bridgnorth, residing in Birmingham in 1826. He was a boat builder by trade. He is next heard of in a reference to a boat built in Stratford in 1830 and then in Tewkesbury in December 1830 when he married. I can find no boat builders with the name Gregory in the Birmingham trade directories. I would love to be able to link the Bridgnorth Benjamin to the one in Tewkesbury (and Stratford) who is definitely my ggg grandfather. Does anyone know of any sources which I can use to research boat building in Birmingham in the 1820s. Bridgnorth Benjamin's father was a shoemaker and so he must have been apprenticed to some-one, but where? I assume that he would have been involved with the building of canal barges. Any suggestions gratefully received. Unfortunately I do not live close enough to Birmingham to visit.
Boat building did take place in Birmingham. There was boatyard on Tyburn road, Erdington. This I think was Moreton and Claytons premises. Also look in to boat building at Saltley dock. Hope this helps.

Several years later, but if anyone is still watching... I too have an ancestor who was a boat builder who was born in Bridgnorth, was living in Birmingham in 1826, but was married in Tewkesbury, had a boat building business in Tewkesbury, moved to Worcester circa 1836 and died in Worcester in 1842. Does anyone know of any sources where I could try to find out where he was in Birmingham? His life there was pre census data.

This David Cox painting is a portrayal of a boat building dockyard at Birmingham. Any ideas of where it might have been? Viv.

image.jpeg

Looking at a few sites that list David Cox’s picture, the title seems to be.....Boat Building - Dockyard at Birmingham. Most say painted mid to late 1800s, but as he died in 1859 it would be more likely to be mid 1800’s.

I have a feeling that, as Cox has been specific in the title, the dockyard would be somewhere in Birmingham.

IMG_1920.jpg

The OS Map surveyed around 1885 shows boat building yards on the towpath of the canal loop just right of centre.

Deritend is mentioned as his birthplace. The water does look more like a river than canal to me.https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/david-cox-117
There some nice painting of Old Birmingham here. Those living nearby I guess can see the originals. I presume the web site details were written by someone from another country, note the American style date and the mis-spelling of his place of death. Not a good thing considering the place is a suburb of the city where the art gallery is located!.
https://www.bmagic.org.uk/people/David+Cox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cox_(artist)

I think a lot of boats were built in the black country. Fellows Morton & Clayton built them. They built at least one for Cadbury (am going to do thread on Cadbury boats, but have not got round to it yet). another was built for them by J.F.Parry in Wolverhampton

There was a small boat building yard called Les Allen and Son Yard at Valencia Warf in Oldbury. It was a long-established family firm who had been there years. I remember the place reasonably well as my dad used to work there on the weekends. It was almost identical to the one in the Black Country Museum, right down to the steam chest and sheds made from old wooden boats.

I recall the warf was owned by a company called Elements (& son?), they also had premises at Salford Bridge right on the corner of Tyburn Road. There may have also been a boat builder by the name of Spencer Abbot, who also worked at Salford Bridge.

Going through this thread, I wonder if there is a thread on canal barge builders?

Edit - this new thread created by gathering other posts made across the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan White's book "The Worcester & Birmingham Canal" mentions boat builders, but the only ones named are all in the Worcester area. The first was Charles Bird of Stourport, who, just after canal opened , applied to build a dry dock at the Diglis basin. This was constructed, with delays, over 1816-1817, used by them till 1847 and later by other boat builders.
By 1835 there were two boatbuilders at the Lowesmoor, basin John Hepwood and George Hill. Hill probably took over the Hepwood's business i about 1840, and after 1860 the business was run by William Hill , George's son. In 1847 the firm also took over the Bird's business at Diglis

Alan White's book "The Worcester & Birmingham Canal" mentions boat builders, but the only ones named are all in the Worcester area. The first was Charles Bird of Stourport, who, just after canal opened , applied to build a dry dock at the Diglis basin. This was constructed, with delays, over 1816-1817, used by them till 1847 and later by other boat builders.
By 1835 there were two boatbuilders at the Lowesmoor, basin John Hepwood and George Hill. Hill probably took over the Hepwood's business i about 1840, and after 1860 the business was run by William Hill , George's son. In 1847 the firm also took over the Bird's business at Diglis
This 1964 Meccano Magazine mentions Boat building 26 miles from Birmingham on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal

Feb 1964 boat building 1.jpgFeb 1964 boat building 2.jpg

Worsey's Ltd are mentioned in this piece called Allen's Register. Link below. Viv.

Birmingham Archives holds records which might be of interest to anyone researching boat builders. Below are some examples. I'm surprised at the number described as boat builders. Maybe some were involved in parts of the boat building process. Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413_192151_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_192151_Chrome.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230413_192119_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_192119_Chrome.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230413_192053_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_192053_Chrome.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 9
There's a book about Fellows, Morton and Clayton (FMC: A Short History of Fellows Morton and Clayton b6 Alan H Faulkner, 1975) - this is taken from that book:

Prior to the nationalisation of the waterways in 1948 one of the largest canal carriers, and probably the most famous, was Fellows Morton and Clayton. Parts of the company dated back to the 1830s and they had been one of the earliest firms to invest confidently in iron boats - steamers, horse boats and some of the earliest motorboats. They built many of them at their own dockyard in Birmingham, but they contracted work out to other shipyards and boatbuilders too. However they always specified their own very recognisable style of riveted boat, slim graceful craft with a very fine entry through the water at the bows. The forged bow plates flared out in a double curvature to meet the sharp inward slope of the top strake behind a strengthened guard iron at the loaded waterline. It was a powerful balance between utility and beauty, a characteristic shape that became a strictly guarded company style - virtually a trademark. These iron 'Joshers', as they were affectionately known (after the firm's founder Joshua Fellows) were well built and well respected and many survive in good condition, most of the over seventy years old whilst a few have reached their century.

Last edited:
Back