• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1960s

we used to go to the tyburn house pub to watch live groups .west end ballroom. town hall .the odeon .locarno .laura dixons to name a few .sat and sun was ton up on the bikes to stratford weir for a pint and a bag od smiths crisps .those were the days ....so looking forward to seeing other posts on the 60s..
Hi, do you remember the 59 club they used to gather at the hotdog stand off smallbrook ringway with Dave the vic

Re: Garages........
This is something that I've noticed over the last 25 years. Even busy, well established, modern sites seem to close, be demolished and have houses on them with indecent rapidity these days. How unlike the 60's where to open a small petrol filling station was a retirement dream for many in Brum. The petrol of today, besides being obscenely overpriced thanks to avaricious Gov'ts (87% Tax !), is different to the old brands. It burns poorer and, if left, (as in lawnmowers), degrades and can attack the metals of carburettors. When I started riding, in the late 60's, I'd buy 1/2 a Gallon of 5* (2/6d) and 2 shots of Redex or UCL (2d) to get me to college in Sutton each week. We had 3 Garages in a 3 mile square radius in our small village. Now the nearest is about 6 miles away.
hi, I had a Esso tigers tail on my tiger cub , happy days

View attachment 186950
The cigarettes that Morturn referred to.
I smoked Sobranie but they were black paper with gold tips. Thought I was incredibly sophisticated darhhhhlings ! The other extreme was smoking Gitanes - stunk the piace out. Like Morturn I'd smoke anything, especially if others were offering, like in the office. Seems crazy that smoking in public places, including hospitals, was acceptable.

I smoked Sobranie but they were black paper with gold tips. Thought I was incredibly sophisticated darhhhhlings ! The other extreme was smoking Gitanes - stunk the piace out. Like Morturn I'd smoke anything, especially if others were offering, like in the office. Seems crazy that smoking in public places, including hospitals, was acceptable.
On TV smoking was the norm but that is how it was . Did you have one of those posh cigarette holders and posh evening gloves .

It was cool but depending on the way you smoke, not talking with a fag dangling off your lip. or the way you blew the smoke, some cleaver clogs's could blow hoops., or the way you held it. Teenybops remember that word often held it backwards in their cupped palms in case they needed to disguise or discard it and often burned themselves,

I do vaguely recall seeing a box coloured matches. I don’t recall if the flame was coloured. it would not be hard to do I suppose, some chemicals do burn different colours. I also have seen white matches with black stalks in my nans cocktail cabinet. I had heard of coloured cocktail cigarettes as well but never smoked one despite being a schoolboy smoker who would smoke anything that was smokable.
My partrner's late mum kept old book matches, tuns, in the bottom drawer of her cooker, under the oven I think we brought some back. She had very long matches too about 8 inches long! Her place was very late 50s 60s, untouched. Massive transistor radio. Stylish black and chrome. We said tranny's, don't think you can now,

Less traditional &some TV enspired Christian names started creeping in. Mum's colleague called the baby Samantha Tabatha, from Bewitched.
I had a classmate Dean, a Dallas, Daniel after the Blue Peter Baby , Tanya, the elephant,? that's what she got name called, Shane, Ross, Wayne, Carl...Miranda, Rosanna. I was lucky enough to get an Indian lad & a Nigerian lad seated next to me.

Spend some time in China, Japan and Korea, they seem to smoke everywhere at least a couple of years ago.

Spend some time in China, Japan and Korea, they seem to smoke everywhere at least a couple of years ago.
Went to Hong Kong a couple of months ago, No Smoking anywhere in Public, ie roads pavements etc, few selected terrace bars you can smoke, strange thing if you can and know where to buy them you can . Import of cigarettes is only 19 yes 19, as i was coming from Spain i had to declare my 200 or a fine of over 1000 HKD if court, mountain of import paper to sign which you have to carry around with you should you be stopped and you can proof Tax has been paid . Then payment of tax was about 100 euros. When i did smoke i felt like a naughty schoolboy holding the Cigarette curled up in my hand standing down alleyways dark corners was not going to get caught and fined for smoking in Public.

Went to Hong Kong a couple of months ago, No Smoking anywhere in Public, ie roads pavements etc, few selected terrace bars you can smoke, strange thing if you can and know where to buy them you can . Import of cigarettes is only 19 yes 19, as i was coming from Spain i had to declare my 200 or a fine of over 1000 HKD if court, mountain of import paper to sign which you have to carry around with you should you be stopped and you can proof Tax has been paid . Then payment of tax was about 100 euros. When i did smoke i felt like a naughty schoolboy holding the Cigarette curled up in my hand standing down alleyways dark corners was not going to get caught and fined for smoking in Public.
I was not in Hong Kong, however Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan & Wanzo smoke everywhere at least two years ago.

Back