• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church St Peter And St Pauls

Brenda, I went to Aston Hall Rd school with Frankie Paget, he lived at the top of Queens Rd opposite the brewery. So he would be about my age which is 78, is he still with us ? if so, where does he live. You say Edie as been long gone, surely she wasn't that old? Eric
PS Just noticed the wedding was in 1946, I would only be 16 then and Frank about the same so Edie must have been considerably older than Frank

Cookie, glad to see were talking about the same frank padget...yes the padgets did live opposit the brewery,edie was about 10years older than frank, and my uncle bill was about 10years older than edie...my grandparents bill and alice coates had a newsagents up church lane with my uncle living with them, Edie died suddenly in 1972 and bill about 4or5years later.As far as l know Frank and shiela his wife live in streetly, sutton coldfield..my late brother Harvey Barr always kept up with him and gave me all the news,,,,,now l rely on my niece Mary.....the age was about right as frank and my brother went into the service about the same time.......Brenda

Brenda, thanks for confirmation re Frank Paget, I used hang about the road with him and Ronnie Lock, Geoffry Harding, both from Queens Rd and leslie Thompson from Church Lane also a David Hill who came from the pub corner of Queens Rd/Park RD I think it was called The Avenue, don't know if any of them names ring a bell. Eric

Last edited:
I put this on about a year ago somewhere but it's our book from the post office in an earlier post on this thread. It was opposite Aston Church. Jean.

Hi, have just found out that my 3 x gr. grand parents are buried at St. Peter and St. Paul, Aston. I have a transcript taken from their memorial but am wondering if anyone knows if there is a plan of the grave yard or even if a grave yard still exists?
The burials took place in the mid 1800's.
Wanting to try and find out some details before making a trip down from Cumbria.
Many thanks, really finding the forum very helpful as I don't know the area at all.
best wishes,
Shirley
Researching: Humpage, Wright, Lynall

Hi Shirly I knew a Gary Humpage a few years ago who swam against my twins in Orion swimming club. With regards to the buriels at Aston Church a lot of graves were dug up to make way for houses. It upset a lot of my family and I have not let the matter rest yet. Take care. Jean.

Hi Jean, thanks for your reply. As for the graves being dug up, the same things seems to happen all over the country. I found where my grandfather and my dad's twin brother were buried with the help of the church warden at a church down in Erith, Kent - unmarked grave, grandma would not have been able to afford a headstone of any sort. Their grave had escaped being dug up by a few feet and a new main road now trundles past. I felt so sorry for the families of the people who weren't so lucky.
Maybe the same thing will have happened at Aston - I will have to keep my fingers crossed on that one!
Is there a ruling on how long it must be before a grave can be dug up? I suspect it could be 100 years but maybe I'm wrong.
Shirley.

I was christened there myself at the aston parish church many moons ago
and i used to sing in the church choir every sunday and got five bob every week
that was two half crowns, the one half crown was for mid week choir practice at dyson hall and the other half crown was for the service at church
our choir mistress,s was a miss burrows and a miss ricewhom lived in albert rd by the
B,BRIGADE Captain roberts he was the first company bridgade officier
these two elderly ladys was sweet they was really getting on in age,
best wishes astonian ,

I am currently captain of the 1st Birmingham Boys' Brigade at Aston Parish Church. We are celebrating our centenary next year, what can anyone tell me about Dyson Hall and the Boys Brigade company in days gone by ?

Eric, Brenda do you remember a Margaret Padget?. Wondered if she was related to your Padget friends. She attended Manor Park girls school. Jean.

I find I had a half brother, Wilbert Walker, born 27.11.1920, at 8,Truro Terrace, Bevington Road. Only other info. is "Christened and buried in Aston Church" I believe it was an infant or childhood death. I think his mother Jessie May Walker (nee Ilpton???) was also buried there. I understand it may have been a family plot, so others may be there too.

If graves are removed would there be a list that one could consult? I am so pleased to see the photo of Aston Church, thank you, but feel upset hearing about building on consecrated ground .

Back