• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church St Peter And St Pauls

hi cookie
how are you fine i hope i see you are researching the cookie family
can you tell us where they are coming from ? i have got afew old cookie familys friends
from way back
look foreward to hearing from you best wishes astonian ;;

Cookie I have to agree with you about Cannon Warman it was his wife who had more of a christian attitude. Did any of you join the church youth club?. We had the use of a hall in Aston Hall road. We painted it ourselves kept it clean and had special event night s there. One evening some lads came in asking if they could join. They used to cause a lot of trouble in the area with rival gangs [nothing changes] but they said they wanted to turn over a new leaf. The cannon didn't give them a chance and sent them packing. That night they came back and wrecked the hall and smashed the window. That was the end of everything we all had worked so hard for. Maybe just maybe if they had been given a chance that would never have happened. I remember a trainee clergyman by the name of Mr Jeans [I think] and us girls would tease him something rotton. He was lovely and have often wondered if he finally became a vicar. I do now remember some of the girls names in the Brownie photo after being prompted by Patty. Jean.

Hello Astonian not to bothered about family history my self, my 2 sisters are more keen than me. The family name is Cook (not cookie, that was my old RAF nick name) on my Mothers side it is Muller, her Grand parents were German from Koblenz, no success tracng back there, Muller in Germany is common as Smith here, got as far as great great grand parents then lost interest

G G Jean, I was born in a house belonging to Atkinsons Brewery in Queens Rd in 1930 left in 1935 (I had just started school at Vicarage RD infants). Went to Sheldon as my Dads firm (bryants) had the contract to build Eldom airport (now Bham Int).
When my Mother died in 1943(we had moved to Shirely by then I went back to Queens Rd, opposte side to live with my Gran, I was then 13 and 4 years later I went in the RAF for 8 years, so I did not have much of a social life in Aston, althought I did join the ATC, Air Training Cadets till I went in the RAF. It was in 1951 when I was on Xmas leave with my Gran that I met my Wife to be at a dance at the Masque Ballroom Walford Rd and found she came from Vicarage Rd and was freshly divorced (a scandal in them days!). Eric

hi cookie
its me again sorry you got mislaid by me keep calling you cookie
i was aware that it was your family name was cook ,i have to admit also the name is troubling me of muller abit i think i have heard this name in the past if i can establish one christian name of your sisters would be a great help as i know a couple of cooks familys ,my sister inlaw was also born and grew up in the old queens rd
i shall be off shortly as i have to drive into redditch to pick up my old dutches from line dancing tonight so i will be checking to se if we can help ok;
i,m hoping to catch our old friend mowhaks before he shoots off [thats peter ]
don,t tell him i told you still keeping himself fit nice lad peter .
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian eldest sister Dorothy Elsie b1931 youngest sister Janet Kathleen b 1934 myself Eric Arthur b1930 all born in Queens Rd Father Arthur b1904 Mother Doris Elsie b1900 my fathers parents lived at 84 Queens Rd and his father worked at tthe GEC Witton, know very little on my mothers side, her maiden name was Hutton and her Mothers maiden was Muller,and her parents came overfrom Koblenz about 1880

I have to agree that Canon Warman was not the friendliest of clergy.
However Rev. Smith who married my husband and myself was a different kettle of fish altogether. I know he had his critics,but I got on really well with him.
Linda

Hi - I have only just rejoined and am very interested in Aston Parish Church as my mum and dad and aunt and uncle were married there. We used to live in the sweet and tobacco shop across the road so am very familiar with the vicar and his wife who used to read all my stories when I was little. I too loved the vicarage garden parties but I have no photos now. We used to play on the bomb site behind the shop and post office. I used to play with a girl called Susan Lymme who lived in one of the houses between the vicarage and Atkinson's Brewery on the corner. I think it was Mrs. McGovern at the Tavern public house who used to make my mum hot meals some Sundays. My dad used to work at the GEC down the road as well as running the shop when he came home. Our assistant was Ivy Abrahams and her daughter was Barbara. They lived four houses up near the garage. I used to have to take potato peelings to an old lady in these houses to feed her chickens with. My name was Christine Smith. My mum and dad were Beat and Sid Smith. I used to go to Sunday School but can only remember a Dorothy Roberts. Loved the Onion Fair. I now live miles away but wondered if anyone could say if our shop was knocked down in the end or if anyone has any relevant photos. I used to ride round in R. White's lorry after he had delivered the pop. We left in about1955 or thereabouts. We used to play in Aston Hall where we shouldn't go of course, and mind cars for 3d on Villa match days.

Last edited by a moderator:
walsalle, everything as been knocked down (except the church) the Queens and Tavern pub, the vicarage, the doctors house by the church (Dr Morgan in my day) your shop, the Garage (was it called Dents garage ??), all gone, I was born down Queens Rd in one of Atkinsons Brewery houses in 1930 roughlly where the Police Station is now, I find it all very sad, but its called progress. Eric

Strange you should mention Dr Morgan, we have some garden chairs in our garage which belonged to him,my parents bought them,probably from one of the Bring and Buy sales.

Do you remember Dr Freshwater before him?

Linda

Linda, yes I remember Dr Freshwater, I also liked their house, a white detatched house and surgery backing onto the "tip" (site for Pat Collins onion fair, later the site for ASDA and now a Villa car park I believe ??) situated between the church and the Tavern pub. Both Morgan and Freshwater were my doctors but my wife was registered with a Dr Topping up Park Rd

Oh yes I remember it well ( Good title for a song heehee)

Walking across the tip to church or the doctors, I used to live in Yew Tree Road.

My father who as I mentioned early was Church Warden used to go to the Tavern for half a pint , with Mr Higgins the other warden......great drinker my father!!!

Linda

My Mother, both sisters and my sister in law were all married at Aston Church, but the vicar of the day, Rev Warman would not marry my Wife and I because she had been divorced even though she was the innocent party. Not my favourite vicar, as it happend I was in the RAF and got posted to Hong Kong so we had to get married by special licence any way

I have just seen your message on the forum about you being in aston and living in queens road.My mom also was born same road in 1920 and lived at 61 until they were bombed in the war could i realise there is age difference but i wondered if you may of known each other cause she also of had brothers and sisters younger

Casey, We lived back of 87 but we left when I was just 5 in 1935, my fathers firm had began to build Bham airport, so we moved to Sheldon, so I would be to young to know any of the neighbours . My mother died in 1943 when I was 13 (we lived in Shirley then) and I moved back to Queens Rd ( no. 84 other side of Rd opposite Atkinsons brewery) to live with my Gran but by then the bombing, a land mine I believe, had "removed" the bottom of Queens Rd so your mother must have been elsewhere by then. Eric.

Parents married at St Peter & St Pauls in 1948 - brother and me both christened there. Brother and Dad sang in the choir for a while. We lived in a back to back in Pugh Road, Dad had moved to the midlands after the war and worked first in Aston Park then Enots. Mom stayed at home whilst we were little then went to work at Ansells as a cleaner in the canteen

cornwall col, as you will see from my post to casey, I spent 2 periods in Aston, both in Queens RD but when I came out of the RAF in 1956 I spent a further 3 years there this time in a back to back in nearby Vicarage Rd opposite the school until we had raised a deposit and bought a house in Erdington (Hillside Rd), a few years later the whole area was gradually demolished and rebuilt. Eric

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes it was Dents garage. Last house before the garage was where my friend, Barbara Abrahams lived. Dr. Freshwater was there in my day. So good to hear the news from you. Thanks a lot. Get very nostalgic in my old age !

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. You have made my day. I am so grateful for the photo and your reply. I have been trying to get this for so long and growing older by the day! Brings back so many memories of my dad making the ice lollies and coming home from work at the GEC Witton and then starting work in the shop. I was Christine Smith and dad and mum were Sid and Beat Smith. Dad came from Wenlock Road and Mum from Nelson Road and Aston Lane. Sadly they are, of course, gone a long time ago but how I wished I had asked more and kept photos ! Thank you once again.

Cookie Dr Morgan was my Dr's too and Dr Freshwater before him. My brothers friend Lesly Smart worked at Dents garage and then our neighbour Mr Spencer moved in there. Thanks for the photo's John brought back many memories. I have some photo's of days out at the church fete garden party and will have to sort them out. Jean.

Jean, I had a friend living in Queens Rd, Frankie Paget who worked at Dents. The garage needed to expand and moved to Aston Hall Rd near to Lichfield Rd, I don't know what year I believe he went on to become chief mechanic or something. I worked in the drawing office at the GEC Witton fom 1944 till I entered the RAF in June 1948. Eric

Patty I think she lived in Frederick or Bevington road but maybe she was related. She was a tall girl if my memory serves me right and played the Sultan in the Sherazade production from the photo's I put on. I think she went to Aston church on Sundays?. Jean.

hi cookie
sorry i have not got around to remembering the cook famly at the moment
but i seem to remember some-one from the hicks family whom married a cook and one of them told me of a german family that was related to them as i have previously said i do know a couple of cooks family one of the cooks married a hicks family one of the cooks sibblings goes withone of my sister-laws daughers
a couple of the cooks are very old freinds of mine i will get back to you soon
astonian ;;;

G G Jean, Frankie Paget had at least one sister and she was tall, don,t know her name though. I wasn't in to girls then, they were all a mystery to me, come to think of it they still are. Eric

Astonian, I'm personally not interested in family history, its my sisters who are twisting my arm, but now they have found a website, something united its called, so I can forget all about it, thanks for your interest all the same. Eric
PS we know more about our German link than our English, name of Muller, farming stock from near Koblenz on the Rhine, came here 1880 or thereabouts

I put this on some time ago but feel it fits the bill here. The post office book opposite Aston Church Jean.

What a small world Frank Paget sister Edie married my uncle Bill Coates in 1946 l was bridesmaid at their wedding at Aston Church. Bill and Edie have been long gone..but they had a daughter Mary....frank and edie did live in Queens rd so l'm sure this is the same pagets you've mentioned...Brenda

Back