• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Brook Street

my name is joe jinks I was born at 106 aston brook street the house with light bricks 1941 two doors down from the lady on her step

Hi Joe
My Name is David Holmes I lived at 144 with my sister Pat and brother Barry,My mother and father were Dolly and Percy.Remember your house so well as i used to be your brother Stephens mate.I think the house where the lady is standing was the Harris house,they used to run the fruit and veg shop on Aston Rd

hi folks a few more of aston brook st..one we alread have but will post it again as it is a bit clearer..

lyn

Attachments

• ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 001.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 001.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 002.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 002.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 94
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 003.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 003.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 004.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 004.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 102
next 4

Attachments

• ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 005.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 005.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 104
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 006.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 006.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 108
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 007.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 007.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 117
  • ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 008.jpg
    ASTON B S..QUEENS RD..WILTON ST 008.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 92
they are indeed aston lad...also posted some new ones of queens road...

all the best

lyn

,Thanks Lyn for these photos of aston brook street brings back very happy memories I worked for benton and stones my wife worked for McNamara next door 1959 till 1963

hi joseph you are most welcome to do that and please keep your memories coming...

lyn

Re: aston brook st

Hi
I wonder if anybody has any information on the year that this steam engine was put
in the park at Aston Brook St. The reason i am asking is i believe it may have been put there by my late father.
He worked for a firm called Cauldles ( not sure of the spelling) they were Grey colored trucks doing Heavy Haulage work. They used to be
on the Coventry Rd, Sheldon, just down from the picture house on the same side. The year would have been
between the mid 50s early 60s. I can remember as a kid going with him to put a engine in a Aston park.
So any info on the year it was put there and any info would be appreciated.

35347039_AstBrookStloco.jpg

Thanks Stars
Hi.
I remember playing in and on that engine.
I memory serves it went in about 1967.
Many good times spent there but it was always known as Blue street park.
Aston brook street was one road over.

,Thanks Lyn for these photos of aston brook street brings back very happy memories I worked for benton and stones my wife worked for McNamara next door 1959 till 1963
Just found this thread. What great photographs. Joseph , when did you work at Benton & Stone? I
worked there from 1964 until 1970. What department were you in? Regards Sue.

From memory only it was the Aston Brook Street/Elkington Road end. Sue

I can just imagine what the fire brigade (today) would have to say about this little lot.

Attachments

• aston-brook-st5.jpg
    aston-brook-st5.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi I am new to this so only just getting to grips with it. Please be patient. Does anyone know exactly where F. Prime and Son engineering works was located in Aston Brook Street. In fact any information would be very helpful and/or a photo would be brilliant. D F Prime, my father, is no longer with us so I can't ask him, so anything would help. Thanks Jen

Hi I am new to this so only just getting to grips with it. Please be patient. Does anyone know exactly where F. Prime and Son engineering works was located in Aston Brook Street. In fact any information would be very helpful and/or a photo would be brilliant. D F Prime, my father, is no longer with us so I can't ask him, so anything would help. Thanks Jen
hi jen and welcome...what years are you talking about..our map experts maybe able to provide a map showing the exact location of the works..

lyn

Hi Jen,

159-165 Aston Brook Street in 1955 Kellys Directory was F. Prime and Son (general engineers).

Have you had a look at this

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Attachments

• 159-165astonbrookst.jpg
    159-165astonbrookst.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 23
hi jen and welcome...what years are you talking about..our map experts maybe able to provide a map showing the exact location of the works..

lyn
I think the factory is the one marked but need to do a bit more investigating. I don't think there are any pictures of it other than this one.

Attachments

• aston-brook-street-fromabove1938.jpg
    aston-brook-street-fromabove1938.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 21
I am now fairly certain that the 'X' marks the factory of F. Prime & Son. It was confusing because on the 1950s map the motorcycle works had taken over the area occupied by Nos. 109 & 111 plus houses at the other end near to H. Miller had also disappeared (perhaps air-raid damage).

The overlay of 1938 & 1950 shows Nos. 109 & 111 on Phillips Street behind the factory (159-165 Aston Brook Street).

The Britain from Above view shows the same orientation.

Attachments

• aston-brook-st-overlay.jpg
    aston-brook-st-overlay.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 21
  • aston-brook-street-fromabove1938.jpg
    aston-brook-street-fromabove1938.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 20
My fathers was born at 134 Aston Brook Street in 1914.When I visited the UK years ago I had a drive around the area but of course it was all factories.I had a look both sides of the Aston Expressway but am I correct in my assumption that number 134 is where the expressway was built.Any help or photos from Aston locals would be appreciated.Les
My father bought 134 after renting it for a short time beforehand in 1942/3 The Daniels owners of the local shop previously owned it. He was in the army for 12 years before and during his time there. Married Lucy Spence and they had 5 children. John (me) Barbara, Dennis, Brian and Allen. We let the shop on the corner and did many improvements to the house over the years even having a small garden in the back yard. I left in 1964 when I got married myself and the house was compulsory purchased for a pittance a year or so later. Breaking my mothers heart. They moved to the third house that they were offered or be thrown out! I believe that the house was let out by BCC for a short time before it was demolished.

Back