• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Brook Street

Re: aston brook st

Hi
I wonder if anybody has any information on the year that this steam engine was put
in the park at Aston Brook St. The reason i am asking is i believe it may have been put there by my late father.
He worked for a firm called Cauldles ( not sure of the spelling) they were Grey colored trucks doing Heavy Haulage work. They used to be
on the Coventry Rd, Sheldon, just down from the picture house on the same side. The year would have been
between the mid 50s early 60s. I can remember as a kid going with him to put a engine in a Aston park.
So any info on the year it was put there and any info would be appreciated.

35347039_AstBrookStloco.jpg

Thanks Stars

The park was known as Blew street Park to locals, also it was a tad away from Aston Brook street it was in a triangle of Ashford street, St Stephens street and Elkington street

The engine was put there around 1965, about the same time they put the metal goal posts in,

My fathers was born at 134 Aston Brook Street in 1914.When I visited the UK years ago I had a drive around the area but of course it was all factories.I had a look both sides of the Aston Expressway but am I correct in my assumption that number 134 is where the expressway was built.Any help or photos from Aston locals would be appreciated.Les

I think i have it if you don't Lyn, or at least I have photo with same title and year

morning mike..yes please if you could repost it for dave then i can save it...

cheers mike...

Hi Astoness and Aston Lad,I have spent many hours over the last few years looking at Aston Brook through Aston Manor......brilliant site.
Dave,I will send a message to Don Clive to see if he can help me.Thanks to all.Les

hi lesr1 quite a few of us have contributed to the the aston brook site..if you go to the streets section and click on paddington st i have written a little story of my own complete with family photos...

lyn

Hi Lyn,I enjoyed my read of your account of life in Paddington St......vivid memories you have.I,ll have to have a closer look at the site as there have been additions since I was last on the pages.Les

Thanks Lyn and Mike for the photo. I don't recall seeing it before. It looks llike the part between Aston Road and Chester Street as it was the only straight stretch - that I can remember - and I think only double digit house nos. and not the house Les was looking for (134). Mike can maybe prove me wong!!
Good luck Les.

Can't help with the photo. Below is a map showing 134 Aston Brook St. It was a shop for a while (see below). There are two buildings in red on the map. Almost certainly no 134 is the one on the right, and the one on the left is in shefford St, but you never know for absolute certain
Listed occupants from Kellys:

134 Aston Brook St
1890-96 Frederick Gaunt. Grocer
1897-99 Susan Kendall, grocer
1900 George Rice, shopkeeper
1903 Alfred Hewson shopkeeper
1904 James Cook shopkeeper
1908 Mrs Ada Buckton shopkeeper
1910 Arthur Price shopkeeper
1913-17 Joseph Clury shopkeeper
1921 Not Listed in Kellys
Mike

map_c_1913_no_134_Aston_Brook_st.jpg

Mikejee,Thanks for your input with the map and the list from Kellys.It all fits permanently because although my father was a Robinson,I can now see that 134 where he was born was where his grandfather ran a shop.Many thanks.Les

My Grandad was born in 1914 and lived at 109 Aston Brook Street. His father was a labourer at the local gas works. I would love to see any photos of these from that era.

Hi I am interested in the Sun Cycle and Fittings Company that used to be in Aston Brook St, and I am trying to pinpoint its true location. Was it Elkington Rd end or near Miller St, and I am also led to believe there was a rear entrance in Bracebridge Rd if that helps.
While searching I came across an article about Midland Counties Dairy and the photo looks the same as Sun Cycles building, can anyone throw some light on this for me please.

In 1940 (Kellys) The Sun Cycle and Fitting Company was located at 293 Aston Brook Street, which was the end very close to Newtown Row, it would have been on the left hand side of the road as you would look from the Newtown end......

The c 1938 map below shows the works (marked as Phoenix cycle works) on the north side, near the west end of the street

map_c_1938_aston_brook_st__west_end_of.jpg

Hi thank you both for your replies and thanks for the map mikejee. I have overlayed it onto an up to date map and it seems it was in the back left hand corner of what is now the post office sorting depot and maybe some of its carpark.

my name is joe jinks I was born at 106 aston brook street the house with light bricks 1941 two doors down from the lady on her step

hello joe and welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it...how lucky are you to have a photo of your old house...

all the best

lyn

Hi Joe
Welcome abroad our great forum
I was just wondering Whether or not you have any relatives in your family tree whom may have lived in cope street Ladywood in the fortys and fifties era
As I recall there was a pair of young twinns whom we plaster foot ball in the big yard along with Albert mosedale
Best wishes Astonian,,

Back