• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Another pub fire

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Greyhound and Punchbowl in Bilston high St has been set alight, though apparently only the ground floor was seriously damaged. It is probably over 200 years old and was originally the house of the Mollesleys, and apparently one of the beams has the inscription 1438. It is the oldest building in Bilston

Fortunately the damage appears much less extensive.

0_firepub.jpg

I wonder what the odds are of the arsonist being found. Perhaps it would make them think twice, if one of these sick individuals was actually charged with the crime they have committed, rather than doing it in the knowledge that they are almost certain never to be apprehended. You have to wonder what sort of person thinks this is something they can do and get away with doing. Is this all they are good for? :(

I wonder what the odds are of the arsonist being found. Perhaps it would make them think twice, if one of these sick individuals was actually charged with the crime they have committed, rather than doing it in the knowledge that they are almost certain never to be apprehended. You have to wonder what sort of person thinks this is something they can do and get away with doing. Is this all they are good for? :(

I have a feeling that the circumstances surrounding the fire at the Crooked House were very different to what happened here. For a start, the approach road to the Crooked House appears to have been blocked with a lorry load of debris before the fire started. Whether by design or not, that restricted access for the emergency services.

I have a feeling that the circumstances surrounding the fire at the Crooked House were very different to what happened here. For a start, the approach road to the Crooked House appears to have been blocked with a lorry load of debris before the fire started. Whether by design or not, that restricted access for the emergency services.
Different yes, potentially with no motive other than "why not, we will get away with it", but it's still arson and this sort of fire has happened all too often. As Lyn has rightly said @ #5, "when is this pointless vandalism going to stop.."

Different yes, potentially with no motive other than "why not, we will get away with it", but it's still arson and this sort of fire has happened all too often. As Lyn has rightly said @ #5, "when is this pointless vandalism going to stop.."
It will stop when the penalty is strong enough and the agencies who are paid to protect us are allowed to do their job! A long time ago a very smart person said “ for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”

And when young people stop being given leniency , for their offences. Obviously 10 year olds should be treated differently, but many of these type of offenses, and other less serious ones are committed by 16 and 17 year olds (including locally to me a policeman being dragged for a mile behind a car to his death by some didiquoys )

And when young people stop being given leniency , their offences. Obviously 10 year olds should be treated differently, but many of these type of offenses, and other less serious ones are committed by 16 and 17 year olds (including locally to me a policeman being dragged for a mile behind a car to his death by some didiquoys )
Totally agree Mike,

I think I saw something about that on the news last night. What's going on with these old pubs? I'm suspicious.
The Greyhound and Punchbowl in Bilston high St has been set alight, though apparently only the ground floor was seriously damaged. It is probably over 200 years old and was originally the house of the Mollesleys, and apparently one of the beams has the inscription 1438. It is the oldest building in Bilston

I think we have all expressed our disgust on this . so will, for the moment close the thread. Will reopen when any further information arises

Good news. The company concerned have been ordered to rebuild the pub "as was". Now it will be impossible to exactly carry this out to result in the same building, BUT will hopefully be a signal to the many dubious development companies which resort to illegal demolition and also might reduce the number of mysterious fires that occur .

Good news. The company concerned have been ordered to rebuild the pub "as was". Now it will be impossible to exactly carry this out to result in the same building, BUT will hopefully be a signal to the many dubious development companies which resort to illegal demolition and also might reduce the number of mysterious fires that occur .

If they are going to rebuild it do it at the Black Country Museum! At least it won't get burned down and demolished again!
Bet it will cost a few bob though (a few million bobs I would think)........

If they are going to rebuild it do it at the Black Country Museum! At least it won't get burned down and demolished again!
Bet it will cost a few bob though (a few million bobs I would think)........
Andrew Lovett (the chief executive of the Black Country Living Museum) was asked about this prospect, shortly after the fire and said, “It’s a very complicated and costly endeavour and that’s one of the reasons we’re not in a position to just suddenly drop everything and go and get the Crooked House”. Perhaps that idea could now be reconsidered and they could get the three that are still out on bail, to lend a hand, whilst they remain free to do so.

Link: https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/crooked-house-wonkiest-pub-britain-dudley-black-country-rebuild/

Back