• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Accuracy of images

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that nowadays Photoshop, or similar, has a lot to answer for. ;)
Perhaps, Alan. But now that we commonly look at images on screens rather than photographic prints, perhaps we are more likely to view them suspiciously. Who now would be taken in by the Cottingley Fairies which fooled the author of Sherlock Holmes, who was a trained doctor? Derek

With a Dell Laptop running open source Gimp photo editor, anyone could produce a fairly good fake photo. It took about 40 minutes.
1941_NewSt_Fake.jpg
I notice that I have missed out a word in the text on the photo !

It was created using this 'Shoothill' photo showing the morning after a 1941 bombing raid.
1941_NewSt.jpg

and this photo which was found in a copy of the Daily Mirror.
0_JS81626984.jpg

Attachments

• 1941_NewSt.jpg
    1941_NewSt.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 8
There must be some keen photographers of yesteryear on the forum. The year is 1914.

Would there be a problem of taking a picture of a subject that is moving ? I remember taking pictures of the RAC Rally in Sutton Park in the 1970s. If I kept the camera still the speed of the car made made the image of the car slightly blurred, while the background is in focus. However when you moved the camera, following the car, the subject was much more in focus while the background became blurred.

Here the girl would not be moving very fast, but given the camera available in 1914 would all the picture be in focus ?
We don't know what camera was used, but I think it could well have been a 5x4 plate camera or one using dark slides. The first Speed Graphic camera was available in 1912. Speed here means that it has a max shutter speed of 1000th of a second which is more than enough probably 400th second would do. A wide angle lens would give a larger depth of field, so that the jumper and the background are acceptably sharp. The lens is set so that distance where the girl jumps is in focus and the photographer uses hyperfocal distance to ensure the background is reasonably sharp. Simply this is the distance at which the jumping girl and the audience are acceptably sharp. Victorian and Edwardian photographers especially professionals were good at this. The camera wasn't panned (swung) with her jump otherwise the background would blur as you say. You need the right lens, camera, skill and lots of practice. I suspect that this photographer took pictures for a living, postcards can be used to advertise one's skill. (Assuming this isn't a photomontage, but a straight photo.)

I posted this old postcard pic in 2018 and the closer I look at it around the high jumper I think they may have faked the photo.

View attachment 175897
I think if you had a reasonably fast shutter (for the year) possibly 300/400 of a sec it could be accomplished a Stokkie has suggested. Not that I am highly skilled, but the photographers timing is critical here and I have had some lucky shots..

With a Dell Laptop running open source Gimp photo editor, anyone could produce a fairly good fake photo. It took about 40 minutes.
View attachment 175916
I notice that I have missed out a word in the text on the photo !

It was created using this 'Shoothill' photo showing the morning after a 1941 bombing raid.
View attachment 175917

and this photo which was found in a copy of the Daily Mirror.
View attachment 175918
In all fairness that an obvious fake. The lighting from two different directions, different resolutions, and different gamma on both photos too.

Very convincing OM. Although the lighting on Dad’s Army might raise suspicion. Viv.
I had previously put a better copy on the forum two years ago and spent an afternoon searching the BHF for it until I eventually concluded that the whole thread it was in had been deleted. I therefore made a new quick copy and should have put some smoke swirling around them. My thoughts are that any digital image can altered and if done by experts it is very hard to detect.

It’s a convincing photo OM. It’s only now that I look more closely at photos (for clues on dates, locations etc) that I really notice things that seem a bit ‘off’, sometimes they are, sometimes not. Wouldn’t have looked too closely in the past. Viv.

Thats the problem now we are not sure what's real and what is faked, and most do not seem to care!
For some, it's all about the image, so if they can use Artificial Intelligence to sort out the ray tracing then why not? Computer games now include mixed lighting as do architectural models which enable the client to view even perhaps walk around. Students are often taught these skills.

There are still people who do 'analogue' ie silver photography and a bunch of people who use old processes. Tintype, cynotype, even the wet plate processes. Especially in art photography.

But I think soon we won't be able to tell how the image was created, especially if we view it on screen. Might be an AI derived image.

For some, it's all about the image, so if they can use Artificial Intelligence to sort out the ray tracing then why not? Computer games now include mixed lighting as do architectural models which enable the client to view even perhaps walk around. Students are often taught these skills.

There are still people who do 'analogue' ie silver photography and a bunch of people who use old processes. Tintype, cynotype, even the wet plate processes. Especially in art photography.

But I think soon we won't be able to tell how the image was created, especially if we view it on screen. Might be an AI derived image.
I think you are exactly right! I hesitated going to digital photography (although I had a Sony point and shoot that I used for business travel) I was stunned at the capabilities of the camera and lenses!

As you may know, I am a keen photographer and have been so for some considerable time. Saying that, I do not do the camera club stuff, I cannot be doing with the technical talk one upmanship. I don’t do paid work either, although I did all of the photography for Edgbaston Golf Club in Birmingham. They agreed to make a donation to my charity, a historic building trust.

I just enjoy taking photos and filmmaking and of course the digital processing at the end. It was my interest in history that lead me into photography in the first place and am still working with a team from Nottingham Trent University. We are developing improved techniques to record historic building and then passing these skills down to the local community who ultimately will be looking after these sites.

Image manipulation has really been around since photography was developed and rota-scoping, the manipulation of film footage was first developed in the 1920. As photographic equipment and developing techniques have developed, so has manipulation of images and film footage too.

It is always subjective when categorising a manipulated image. Some are done to preserve the modesty of the subject while other are just downright intending to deceive. So, if I think an image shas been manipulated, I do ask myself, who is it interning to deceive and for what end.

In terms of AI, we have a member on this forum who has used AI to restore some family images and achieved stunning results, so its not all bad.

I have a Face Book account and a couple of other social media platforms too, but I just take anything posted on there with a pinch of salt. It takes 7 years to train a doctor and 7 minutes to qualify as a Face Book doctor. There were thousands of them popping up in the pandemic. Saying that, the history posting on Face Book may leave a lot to be desired, but it is a great source of historic images.

As you may know, I am a keen photographer and have been so for some considerable time. Saying that, I do not do the camera club stuff, I cannot be doing with the technical talk one upmanship. I don’t do paid work either, although I did all of the photography for Edgbaston Golf Club in Birmingham. They agreed to make a donation to my charity, a historic building trust.

I just enjoy taking photos and filmmaking and of course the digital processing at the end. It was my interest in history that lead me into photography in the first place and am still working with a team from Nottingham Trent University. We are developing improved techniques to record historic building and then passing these skills down to the local community who ultimately will be looking after these sites.

Image manipulation has really been around since photography was developed and rota-scoping, the manipulation of film footage was first developed in the 1920. As photographic equipment and developing techniques have developed, so has manipulation of images and film footage too.

It is always subjective when categorising a manipulated image. Some are done to preserve the modesty of the subject while other are just downright intending to deceive. So, if I think an image shas been manipulated, I do ask myself, who is it interning to deceive and for what end.

In terms of AI, we have a member on this forum who has used AI to restore some family images and achieved stunning results, so its not all bad.

I have a Face Book account and a couple of other social media platforms too, but I just take anything posted on there with a pinch of salt. It takes 7 years to train a doctor and 7 minutes to qualify as a Face Book doctor. There were thousands of them popping up in the pandemic. Saying that, the history posting on Face Book may leave a lot to be desired, but it is a great source of historic images.
Great work at the University and excellent comment re Facebook et al!

https://theconversation.com/text-to...se-technology-for-making-art-and-fakes-195517

While it would be fascinating to see say New Street in 1926, the problem comes when culture forgets that the film was made by AI and it is so easy to assume every image is genuine. My children grew up with Nigel Marvin, who walked with dinosaurs. It was educational, but we had to remind them that it was an illusion. The illusion would be more convincing now.

The converse, claiming that the Moon landings were faked, simply leads to cynicism.

One of the words that is more frequently used today is curating. It previously only seemed to be used in relationship to exhibitions but now seems to be used in a wider way as in creating one’s own version of the truth. Even images that are true can be edited to create a different version of what happened.

On the subject of images I've just searched the forum for all the images I've ever uploaded to it and found 3200.
I suppose it is one place to store them!

If I had thought all those years ago I would have given each image a fully descriptive file name.

Long ago I did start a forum images pdf index on which I named all the pics in the 'Old Street' and 'City Centre' threads (as members posted them) and could search the pdf for street names and go directly to posts showing pics of chosen streets.
bhfpicindex.jpg
Unfortunately the forum internet address changed and all the links became wrong and I could not bulk edit the links.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back