• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Absent Voters List 1918

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I am a late comer to this one. Only just discovered it. I've yet to find which one my Uncles are on, and if it still exists. Has anyone used the Birmingham list?

Hi Di :-* When you get this info sorted would you post it please,
Would like to take a look but don,t know how to access it :idiot2:

Thanx Dahlin :angel: luv John x

John I emailed Local Studies, and they tell me they have the list for Birmingham. The men who were away in the Gret war in 1918 will be on it, with their rank, number and regiment. Together of course with any one else out of the country at that time. A real goodie for researching military ancestors. :)

I hoped the list would include Hamstead, but it doesn't. :(

Absent Voters list are brilliant as it give's the name rank Regiment and number of men who lived at that address at the time of going to war .
Out of 36 names I was hunting for I got 28

DI, POPPITT.  CROMWELL.   Thank you again and again for the infomation being made available. l also await the answer to  SYLVIASAYERS above question.  It helps so much that others can ask those questions that l sometimes overlook. CROMWELL you are too fast for me.

Cromwell thanks for the info. it will save me a wasted trip to the library. My dad joined the army in 1914 aged 15 and served until 1919/20 so he won't be on the Absent Voters List.

Could you answer this query please, what was the upper age range of men who served in WW1? My mother used to tell us a story about her dad who was a gambler coming back from France with £2000. At the time I never thought to ask what he was doing in France but now wonder if he did join the army, but he would have been 38 years old in 1914. Sadly if he had indeed won that much money which would have been a fortune then, he didn't have much to show for it by the time I came along, probably gambled it all away.

Sylviasayers
The truth will never be told about the ages of the men or some of their real names, as they never came back. When you joined up before conscription all as you had to do was state you age and name and if they thought you were old enough you were in. Boys as young as 13 have been known to have been on the Western Front and as old as 70
If you look at some of the Memorials on the Western Front you can see names chiselled out when their real identity has been discovered and erased and their proper name put in
Gambling was rife and a lot of men came back when on leave with a small fortune
Every regiment has its own stories

Thanks Cromwell, luckily both my dad and grandad if he served survived, the unfortunate thing is that so many men who had fought were reluctant to tell their families of what they had experienced. No
counselling in those days they just got back on with their lives.

Sylviasayers
If you dont mind me asking what were the names of the two who came back ?

Cromwell, my dad was William Wallace, I have his General Service medal, less ribbon, No.46598 Private, Devon Regiment. Although I have been told he was in various regiments, don't know which, and he told me that towards the end of the war he was in the Royal Flying Corp. If it helps I believe his address was Staniforth Street, Birmingham.

My grandad was Albert Edward Horton born 1876 and living in New John Street. As I posted before I don't know if he actually served.

My dad's brother-in-law was killed in WW1 but all I know is his surname KELLY next of kin his wife Kathleen nee Wallace.

Any information would be appreciated.

Sylvia
Albert Edward Horton born 1876 was a grand old fellow who had been in the army prior to the outbreak of war fighting in South Africa in the Boer War were he was wounded in action four times
He was called up as a reservist and was immediately sent to France in Aug 1914 serving in the Rifle Brigade He took parting the Battle of Mons and later was in action on the Marne and the Aisne He was severely wounded at the action at Ypres were he nearly lost his life, after a few weeks in field and base hospitals he was invaded to England and was finally discharged in July 1915 as unfit for further service
The Medals he holds are: -
The Queens South Africa Medal.
The Kings South Africa Medal
The Mons Star
Victory Medal
General Service Medal
In 1920 he was living at 5 Albert Terrace, Studley Street, Sparkbrook

Sylvia
1150 Kelly’s Died in the Great War so without a first name if would be a daunting task to try to find him

Thanks for the information Cromwell, it was a long shot regarding Kelly
name, but I thought it was worth asking.

I can't imagine that the Albert Edward Horton you have posted about was my grandad, he was still living in New John Street when my mother was married in 1923. But as you say the AEH you listed was indeed a grand old man.
and his descendants must be very proud of hin.

Looking for the address of Alfred Powers in1918 as he was serving in egyp at the time.

It was in Aston .

Back