• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. nathan_shelley

Biddle

Re: Biddle- More Biddles I am trying to do a bit of research for my cousin who is a Biddle by birth. Her father was Derrick John Biddle born in Birmingham 08/01/1940, I have found his birth record which states mothers maiden name as Horsell. I have searched but cannot find any details that...
  2. nathan_shelley

Traveller Srest Lozells Pub Nr Whitehead Road Late 20's Early 30's Look Up

Cheers folks. I'm pretty sure it was a pub, not sure if the Traveller's Rest thing is a red herring tho'? I suppose just because the one on Whitehead Road was a beer retailer only in 1953 doesn't mean it wasn't a pub before? The only bits that I am sure about is A) It was near the Villa Ground...
  3. nathan_shelley

Traveller Srest Lozells Pub Nr Whitehead Road Late 20's Early 30's Look Up

Following on from info kindly passed on here https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17601 I have been trying to deduce which pub near Villa Park it was that my great grandmother (Beatrice Wilkes) ran. She lived at 100 Whitehead Road in 1935 so I imagine it was close by, my dad...
  4. nathan_shelley

Beatrice Wilks, 58 Nineveh Road Handsworth Shop

mmm, I know she ran a pub near the Villa Ground either with her sister Christiana Vaughan (nee Averall) or possibly her father Joseph Averall. There is a funny story where my nan (who would have been 9 or 10) was sent by her grandfather to find out the Villa score by asking fans as they made...
  5. nathan_shelley

Ooh interesting, 100 Whitehead Rd is a new one. Gladys Beatrice is my nan and Olive Elsie is her sister, Joseph Averall is their grandfather (I think the other chap is a lodger) Thanks Lloyd :handshake:
  6. nathan_shelley

Cheers both, I know she ran a pub near the villa gound (with her sister)before the shop so that figures. Ta Nathan
  7. nathan_shelley

My Great grandmother Beatrice Wilkes (nee Averall) ran a shop at the above address from the 1930s to the 1950s approximately, I know it was definitely there in 1938 as it was my grandmothers address on her marriage certificate. Any Info would be appreciated. Ta Nathan
Back