• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Traveller Srest Lozells Pub Nr Whitehead Road Late 20's Early 30's Look Up

nathan_shelley

Born not bred
Following on from info kindly passed on here https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17601
I have been trying to deduce which pub near Villa Park it was that my great grandmother (Beatrice Wilkes) ran. She lived at 100 Whitehead Road in 1935 so I imagine it was close by, my dad thinks "The Traveller's Rest" rings a bell but I can't find any details online.

Not entirely sure Kellys' is the best place to look but can any kind soul please confirm this or otherwise?

Would have been from as early as 1915 to as late as 1937.

ta again

Nathan

mqp c 1890 showing 108 Aston road North.jpg I thought at first I was not successful, as the 1933 Kellys gave only the Northfield travellers rest, and there are lots of pubs near whitehead st, though apparently none on it. But I checked 1940 and found it at 108 aston rd north, run by Joseph William Bachus (sounds like a dickensian character). He was also there 1933, but it was just listed as a beer retailer. I'm always saying "beer retailer" doesn't necessarily mean "off licence". The building is marked in red, and is just round the corner of the other end of park lane to Whitehead road.Aston cross is just above the green A. The map is 1890, and there will be some small changes by the 1930s

Last edited:
hi nathan. looked in my 53 kellys and there is as mike says a travellers rest at 108 aston rd north birm 6 and i also have one at 37 whitehead road birm 6. this one is marked down as beer retailer only. hope this may help wales.

Cheers folks.

I'm pretty sure it was a pub, not sure if the Traveller's Rest thing is a red herring tho'? I suppose just because the one on Whitehead Road was a beer retailer only in 1953 doesn't mean it wasn't a pub before? The only bits that I am sure about is A) It was near the Villa Ground B) Beatrice Wilkes was involved somewhere.
Her father, Joseph James Averall was a publican (he ran the Buffalo Tavern in Vittoria St Smethwick from 1893 to 1915) and may have been involved as may her sister Christiana Vaughan (nee Averall)

I know there are some brewery records so I will probably try there next.

Thanks for your help.

Whitehead rd. AstonManor
(6), 2 Park Ia.to 106 Bevington
road. MAP H I & 2."
EAST SIDE.
5 Wiggin Miss Ellen, knitted
goods mfr
7 Smith Henry L. boot ma
9 Harrison Mrs. Phcebe
11 Terrington Jn. Rd
11 Terrington Herbt. Harold,
haulage contrctr
13 Hinks Mrs. Harriet
21 Dale Chas. beer retlr
23 Embrey Miss Alice, draper
25, 27 &29 Smith & Wall Ltd.
fishing tackle mfrs
31 HallGeorgeArthur,pwnbro
31A, Hawkins LeonardFredk.
cooked meats shop
33 Paulton Mrs. Winifred,
dress maker
35Greasiey-NortonLtd. bakers
here is Barton's bank
37 Travellers Rest P.H.Horace
Wltr. Gibson
39 Cooper Ralph H. confctnr
41 Seeker James, hair dresser
43 Clarence Frank, grocer
45 Shelley Mrs. Elsie greengro
47 Rowe Jn. Jas. newsagt

This is from the 1937 Kelly's Directory, I know the name of the landlord doesn't meet the requirements, but she could have been the manageress.

Phil

Hello,
I was doing a search on my family and found my Great grandmother in the above list. Mrs Harriett Hinks.
Can you tell me which road she was living on, as I am not familiar with Kelly's Directory.
It looks as though she was on Whitehead Road, at no 13. Is that right?

NMrs Harriet Hinks is at 13 Whitehead road 1932-1940, In 1943 it is Miss Dora Hinks. From 1913-1921 it was Thomas Hinks

NMrs Harriet Hinks is at 13 Whitehead road 1932-1940, In 1943 it is Miss Dora Hinks. From 1913-1921 it was Thomas Hinks

Thank you so much. Thomas and Harriett were my great grandparents, Dora was their daughter.
In 1891 they lived in Rocky Lane off Aston Cross, and clearly moved after that to Whitehead Road. I did not know that Harriett had lived so long and msut assume that Dora took over after her death. You're response is very much appreciated

Back