• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beatrice Wilks, 58 Nineveh Road Handsworth Shop

nathan_shelley

Born not bred
My Great grandmother Beatrice Wilkes (nee Averall) ran a shop at the above address from the 1930s to the 1950s approximately, I know it was definitely there in 1938 as it was my grandmothers address on her marriage certificate.

Any Info would be appreciated.

Ta

Nathan

Beatrice Wilkes was registered in Kellys as a shopkeeper at that address in 1940, 1950, and 1956. In 1933 it was a Mrs Lilian C Burden, fancy draper, and in 1964 it was K. A. Morgan, beer retailermike

Nathan,

She was there in 1937 as well according to Kelly's. So according to what Mike has found, she moved in there between 1933 and 1937.

Phil

In the 1939 electoral roll, at 58 Ninevah road were:
Beatrice Wilkes, Ernest John Wilkes, Olive Elsie Wilkes and Gladys Beatrice Wilkes.

In 1935 Beatrice Wilkes, Olive Elsie Wilkes and Gladys Beatrice Wilkes were at 100 Whitehead Road, Lozells with Joseph James Averall and Frederick George Blackburn.

In the 1939 electoral roll, at 58 Ninevah road were:
Beatrice Wilkes, Ernest John Wilkes, Olive Elsie Wilkes and Gladys Beatrice Wilkes.

In 1935 Beatrice Wilkes, Olive Elsie Wilkes and Gladys Beatrice Wilkes were at 100 Whitehead Road, Lozells with Joseph James Averall and Frederick George Blackburn.

Ooh interesting, 100 Whitehead Rd is a new one. Gladys Beatrice is my nan and Olive Elsie is her sister, Joseph Averall is their grandfather (I think the other chap is a lodger)

Thanks Lloyd :handshake:

In 1933 Kellys mrs beatrice wilkes was at 100 whitehead road, but not 1921
mike

mmm, I know she ran a pub near the Villa Ground either with her sister Christiana Vaughan (nee Averall) or possibly her father Joseph Averall.

There is a funny story where my nan (who would have been 9 or 10) was sent by her grandfather to find out the Villa score by asking fans as they made their way home after the game.

When she returned she told her grandfather that a man had said " pay your own 2d (or whatever) and find out for yourself!". To which her grandfather remarked " ah, they lost" :D

Back