• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

stratford st north off Camp Hill

Roy, I took a few photos of the area when I visited about 3 years ago. Sorry, but I don't have any earlier photos. Sparky
  2. S

Hello Roy, I always called for the Wilkes brothers at the door nearest the embankment, which may have been the back door. The yard marked on the map might have been the access to their front door. My family moved from the area in about 1962, so I don't think I would have met up with you...
  3. S

Hello Roy, I don't remember your parents, but I certainly remember the bridge in Stratford St North. We used to play football in the street there and we'd use the bridge arches on as goals. I had some mates who lived in a row of houses overlooking the railway line. I don't know if this is...
  4. S

Farm Park - huge boulder

I remember the boulder in Farm Park when I played there as a kid in the mid 1950's. The story went that it was a meteorite that had landed in the park a few years before and had nearly killed some kids playing football! I think it was situated on the edge of an area which was used mainly for...
  5. S

Lewis's Department Store

Hawkmoon, You could of course print this thread and show your father in law a paper copy. Just use the 'Thread Tools' button at the top of the thread. sparky
  6. S

Lewis's Department Store

I remember my mother taking me up on Lewis's roof on our regular 'up town' shopping trips in the 1950's. I think it must have been the tallest building in Birmingham in those days. In the late 60's me and a mate got Saturday jobs in the run up to Christmas. We did this for 2 or 3 years and...
  7. S

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

You may remember that Nunky had another nickname- "Isaiah" I remember Whyborne. I think he eventually got the boot. I saw him a few years later and I think he was working for the Post Office. It's funny that everyone called each other by their surname, even your best mates. I found it quite...
  8. S

Balsall Heath.

Chandos school I went to Chandos rd school as well. It would have been about 1953 to 1956. I was then transferred to the Main St annexe as I lived off the Startford rd. Were you at Chandos rd when Mr Wakelam was the headmaster? I always remember a big picture in the hall of St George slaying...
  9. S

Can you put a name, subject or other info about these teachers who appeared on the 1961 school photograph. 3. Mr ? - Physics. He had a very effective punishment. You had to stand in front of him and he would clap his hands with your face in between them! My mother used to think it was the...
  10. S

billc I've had a look at the Friends Reunited photos and see that your downloaded photo shows 'Killer' and Burbidge, who taught French. I didn't like him one bit! You knew where you stood with Killer! sparky
  11. S

Hello Emma, Sorry I don't remember your father. He may have joined the staff after I left in '63. John- You are right about the memories starting to come back! I remember the shop which was next door to the school entrance and buying Jubblys from there (a wierd, sort of triangular shaped...
  12. S

John, A lot seems to have happened at the school between it's opening and when I got there in 1960 after passing the 11+. I left in 1963 when my family moved out of the area. It was a real culture shock, moving from an all boy's school to a mixed school. Do you know what has happened to...
  13. S

jtcliff, The head boy when I was there was I think, Michael Owen. His father taught English at the school, if I remember correctly.
  14. S

Mike Was Brown before or after Bryant? I remember Brown retiring while I was there, but can't remember who replaced him. I've got a very wide school photograph which was taken by a camera that rotated from left to right, so it captured all the pupils and teachers. Apparently, if you were...
  15. S

Did anyone out there attend Bordesley Green Technical School? I went there from 1960 to 1963. I remember a few of the teachers, one of them was nicknamed 'Killer', can't remember his proper name. He taught metalwork and I dreaded him being on playground duty at break time. He used to wave a...
  16. S

Stratford House

When I was a lad back in the mid 1950's on my way to school, I used to walk past the Ship Hotel on Camp Hill, along Stratford Place and cross the Moseley Road to Chandos Road. I remember a story about a tunnel that was discovered below Stratford Place that linked the Ship Hotel to Stratford...
  17. S

sparkbrook

Garrats Sparkbrook Hello bernidefish I remember the Garrats empire. I think they started off selling cars from premises on the corner of Henley Street and Stratford Rd. I lived in Henley St and walked past their shops on my way to school in the mid 1950's. They never managed to take over the...
Back