• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford House

sparky

proper brummie kid
When I was a lad back in the mid 1950's on my way to school, I used to walk past the Ship Hotel on Camp Hill, along Stratford Place and cross the Moseley Road to Chandos Road.
I remember a story about a tunnel that was discovered below Stratford Place that linked the Ship Hotel to Stratford House. I was told that it was thought to be an escape route for Prince Rupert in the Civil War.

Does anyone else recall this story?

image.jpg
Was pleasantly surprised to learn that this large yeoman's farmhouse, Stratford House, Camp Hill, is still standing and looks in good condition too. Built in 1601 by Ambrose and Bridget Rotton, it echoes the same style as Blakesley Hall (where, in fact, Bridget was born). Another jewel in the Birmingham crown. I've attached an extract from Bill Dargue's History of Birmingham place names ..... Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks Janice. Like similar buildings, it seems it have had a precarious past and gone forward with a shaky future. Glad LMS decided in the end to keep it standing - but I note this was only after a lot of pressure. An unexpected positive outcome in that nearby road changes resulted in less traffic passing it's front door! Viv.

Indeed, a lovely building which has survived much of what man has tried to throw at it over the centuries. The miracle is that it survived the 20th. century. A building to enhance the City.

It's not looking quite as bad as I imagined it might. Hope it's repaired quickly. Viv.

great to see it being restored but i wonder what it will be used for after the work is completed

lyn

Last edited:
Don’t know best thread to put this clip concerning Stratford House, Camp Hill. Please move if there is one.

One that was saved? The clip is one of the sketches in the 1950 Birmingham Gazette by John L Baker, and the future of the building was of concern. It survived, but at present seemed to be fenced.

Bill Dargue gives a description of the house, and a present picture, under Camp Hill...

https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-c/camp-hill

9BF5006C-53B1-4A48-BBAA-5DBBA1105A49.jpeg 08FE70F9-9A95-4C64-B581-D8DEACEA6FFD.jpeg

This was it in the 1900s. Today it stands alone, nothing to the left or right of the building, or even in front of it as the edge of a wall in the postcard suggests. Viv.image.jpeg

It narrowly escaped the bulldozers in 1952. It was scheduled as an ancient monument. Viv.

image.jpeg

It was also nearly demolished in 1926 when LMS bought it with a view to demolishing it. According to Bill Dargue's site it was saved by 1930. This clipping is from Birmingham Gazette May 6th 1929.
03333c57-5ae3-43cb-8f56-ee412dbc0677

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-12_14-0-20.png
    upload_2018-2-12_14-0-20.png
    416.2 KB · Views: 10
Back