• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

sparky

proper brummie kid
Did anyone out there attend Bordesley Green Technical School?

I went there from 1960 to 1963.
I remember a few of the teachers, one of them was nicknamed 'Killer', can't remember his proper name.
He taught metalwork and I dreaded him being on playground duty at break time. He used to wave a welding rod when it was time to go back in and if you were a bit late you got a whack on the backside with it.

I also remember the headmaster - Mr Brown.
He was very strict and if you were caught having a crafty smoke, that was it- expelled.

Happy days!

Sparky

You had Brown we had Bryant, do you remember the text book that was written by them, if you put Handsworth Tech. in search you will find us other techies.
Mike

Mike
Was Brown before or after Bryant?

I remember Brown retiring while I was there, but can't remember who replaced him.

I've got a very wide school photograph which was taken by a camera that rotated from left to right, so it captured all the pupils and teachers.
Apparently, if you were quick enough, you could stand on the left end of the group, wait for the camera to start rotating and run round the back of the group to the right end and appear on the photo twice.

Sparky

Brown was head of Bordesley Green. Bryent was head of Handsworth. The book written by them was for use in Tech. schools, I dont know if it was used outside Birmingham.

I left Bordesley Green in 1959. Brown was the Headmaster. "Killer" was Killer Devlin, I think. Caldicott taught Drawing, Jones was Deputy Head, Hughes taught mathematics "Eggo" taught English. A great bunch of guys. All of them characters. I was school captain in my last year. Owe those men a lot of thanks.
John

jtcliff,

The head boy when I was there was I think, Michael Owen.
His father taught English at the school, if I remember correctly.

Yes I do remember Mr Owen. I also have a school photo or two somewhere hidden around. Our class was the second one through that was offered the opportunity to saty two more years in the sixth form and eight of us did just that. So for our last two years we were a small class of 8 who studied Physics, Pure Math, Applied Math and Tech Drawing with Mr Jones giving us Economic History classes. It was pretty intense as I recall. It seemed that the teachers were trying extra hard to get these new sixth formers a good start. When the June "A" level results came out we all did very well and went on to higher education. The eight of us enrolled in night school classes several nights a week to take extra "O" levels subjects. I think all of us finished with the four A levels and 6-8 "O" levels. Colin Johns and myself even got free private coaching in French as an extra "O" level pass.
It was a great five years. When we first started in 1954 the school only offered two years of education and we were ready to leave for work at 15 years old. Then the government added a "5th" form so some of us could take "O"levels and then we were offered two more years in the "6th" Form.
We were darned lucky to be there in those days.
Mr H B Brown was extremely excited aboiut the "upgrade" of his two year school into an "A" level school. All the kids that enetered Bordesley Green in those days had failed to pass the infamous 11+ exam and so got a chance at 13+ to get into Bordesley Green or Handsworth Tech.
Better stop. The more I write the more it all floods back. Could go on for ever. Hope there are some of the original eight out there somewhere.
John Clifford

John,

A lot seems to have happened at the school between it's opening and when I got there in 1960 after passing the 11+.

I left in 1963 when my family moved out of the area.
It was a real culture shock, moving from an all boy's school to a mixed school.

Do you know what has happened to the school buildings since 1963?
I haven't been back to the area since then.

Hi Sparky
I guess that the 11+ entry was being talked about in the spring of 1959 but I don't remember it. A levels were too close!! I never kept any contact with the school and eventually left B'ham in 1964 although my parents lived the rest of their lives in Pype Hayes. I did get back years later (about 20 years ago) to show my kids the old place. The name of the school had changed to "The Arden School" but looked much the same. I believe it was a boy and girl's school and the old shop across from the entrance was now an Indian food shop. The neighborhood had become largely Indian/Pakistani and looked a lot better kept. Fresh paint on doors and windows as I recall. I think the school has changed its name again but can't be sure.

You are right about the many changes that took place while I was there. In 1954 you had to choose whether you wanted to go into the Engineering stream or the Building stream. I chose Engineering. My mother had to buy me a pair of overalls and a woodworkers apron as part of my supplies.
It was always rumoured that the Russian Sputnik launch (1957) was largely responsible for the sudden money and focus on Technical education in those days. I really enjoyed my time at BGTS. It was a tough school and some of the kids were a rough diamonds but it was a good place to grow up.
I bet the change to a mixed school was a shock! My shock came with higher education at 19. However, my bus used to pick up kids from Saltley Grammar School which had girls. A lot of us BGTS lads saw this as the highlight of our day.

Best wishes.
John

Hi

I think my father used to teach there - in about 1964 or 65. He would only have been there a year (if that) before he disappeared to Essex and married my mother. He taught history - Mr Potts. Anyone remember him?

E

Hello Emma,

Sorry I don't remember your father. He may have joined the staff after I left in '63.

John-
You are right about the memories starting to come back!
I remember the shop which was next door to the school entrance and buying Jubblys from there (a wierd, sort of triangular shaped frozen orange drink).
As you say, the emphasis was very much on engineering and the then thriving car industry must have been a big employer of many 'old boys'.

I've just remembered my music lessons which were given by 'Dickie' Dash, who I think taught geography. I don't recall any musical instruments being made available. All I can remember is Dickie standing on the stage enthusiastically conducting our class singing his favourite songs - "Annie Laurie" etc.

Do you remember the decorations that were suspended from the hall ceiling at Christmas time? I was absolutely fascinated by there star-like shapes.

sparky

billc

I've had a look at the Friends Reunited photos and see that your downloaded photo shows 'Killer' and Burbidge, who taught French.
I didn't like him one bit!

You knew where you stood with Killer!

sparky

So they actually had French and Music classes! And 11+ kids! Boy things changed quickly. Where did they put all the growing numbers of students in the early 60's? Did they build on the tiny running track?
And Dickie Dash giving singing classes. . .now that is an amazing thought! His Geography classes were a riot . . .he was the worse disciplinarian in the school. He used get furious with our class.
Did anyone have the math teacher, whose name escapes me, who use to mark our books and toss them out of the window if he was unhappy with them? We used to have to walk around the school to recover them. Now I remember . .Mr Grimmett.. . .a great comedian.

Sparky and BillC
I have just found the photos in Friends Reunited. And on page 2 there is my 1959 class picture. The left end section shows me sitting next to the nurse. Micky Parker is sitting next to me. Thanks to whoever posted that large photo.
I also realized I had Killer's name incorrect. His name was Killer Gilbert. Also read a reference to old man Tommis there too. He took a huge number of years to build his own house from top to bottom only to die a week or so after he moved in. Always wore an ancient shiny threee piece suit and black boots. Among other things he taught us poetry on Friday afternoon. Mission impossible!
Wow, such a lot of memories.

BillC
Thanks for the photos. Seeing the badge was a surprise! I do not recognize the group picture below Gilbert's picture but the one at the bottom is my final year group that I referred to below. So many faces can be recognized but their names have vanished. I know I have that very same photo in the house somewhere..all rolled up in a cardboard tube. I also have an informal group picture of our 6th form "8". I will look around for it today.
Thanks.

Bordesley Green Tech

Hi

Great Thread this one. Sat my Technical Schools Exam there
in 1956. Looking forward to going there but passed for
Handsworth Technical School. As I lived at Stechford
it seemed odd to Travel all that way when Bordesley Tech
was just down the road.
Looking at my report AJ Bryant was definately Head then
when I left W S Mends was the Headmaster. He had just
took over from Bryant. Mends was a Welshmman.
I think in heinsight perhaps Bordesley Tech had a higher rating
than Handsworth who knows now.

Mike Jenks

Hi Mike
You too must remember the expansion of the Techs into fully fledged "grammar" type schools. The Brown and Bryant text book(mentioned below)was on Applied Maths I think. Mr Brown's greatest claim to fame was that he taught Applied Math to Sir George Edwards who was a big name in British aircraft design. He invited Sir George to give away the prizes in 1958 (I think). We were drilled to be on our best behavior and tension was high as the great day grew nearer. If the Queen was coming she would have had no more advanced notice and preparation. On the big day Sir George arrives. Being in the sixth form we were given a question and answer session with the great man. First question, "How do you start to design an aeroplane?" Sir George, "Perfectly simple. You have to have a seat for the pilot at the front and a toilet for the passengers in the back! After that it is easy!" Of course, we loved him after that and we all loosened up considerably.
One name that I recall was Mr.Hughes, the head of math. A brilliant teacher who loved his subject. He would have his back to us working out a long calculus proof and he would start spouting in German. "Ah," he would say, "such a manly language".
It is amazing how much I remember of that staff. With all due respect to today's educational system I have to say that being in an all male school with a bias to Science and engineering was a great environment for a boy. The BGTS staff were such a great bunch of guys in the main. Very balanced and strong personalities.

Was there a rating system? Handsworth Tech. was second to none. In those days it did give a great grounding in the sciences and many pupils I am sure used this as a basis for meaningful carreers. Seemingly in a world of receeding industry requirements, these schools would be a anomoly now.

Back