• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Tuppenny Rice

George Horton of Bordesley Green

I'm pleased to report on the sale of George's tin and contents.. they've been bought by a lovely collector in Scotland who has a special interest in the Scots Rifles. He likes to keep medals 'real' - he doesn't put on new ribbons or restore anything. I've sent him the bio and other documents...
  2. Tuppenny Rice

Could be, she would have been about 43 and died a couple of years later. Probably worn out. The Victorians had a name for sickly children born late to women already worn out by childbirth - 'January Chickens', from a farming term for scrawny chicks from eggs laid just before the hen was...
  3. Tuppenny Rice

A bit too close for temptation to the back yard of a pub! I once worked in an office overlooking a pub garden, it was terrible!
  4. Tuppenny Rice

Thanks for the correction, I've updated my copy. How is it uncertain if there was another one?
  5. Tuppenny Rice

With help from you all and members of angloboerwar.com and greatwarforum.org I have completed a bio for George.. marvel at his adventures! PS I compared the censuses and none of George's siblings died as far as I can see, there was a mistake where one girl was called Sarah in 1891 and Jane in...
  6. Tuppenny Rice

Dowell's Retreat almshouses Bordesley

Link to some colour photos and a map from @SteveBhx Stevebh and @mikejee mikejee https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-birmingham-photos-from-stevebhx.52814/post-780840 It looks like there were wash houses / toilets in the two corner yards at the back, you can see a...
  7. Tuppenny Rice

Dowell's Retreat

Thankyou, very interesting to see inside and what kinds of flowers were in the garden. I'll also link on my main post about Dowells.
  8. Tuppenny Rice

Dowell's Retreat

If anyone would be able to restore this photo of Dowell's Retreat almshouses I would be very grateful. It's likely the elderly ladies would be in black clothes as most of them were widows. The girl in white is my great aunt.
  9. Tuppenny Rice

Dowell's Retreat almshouses Bordesley

Two photos of Dowell's Retreat almshouses in Warner Street, Bordesley. The first by William A Clark in 1932 is held by Birmingham Archive: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/112061/dowells_retreat I attach another which shows my great aunt Rose Emily Bennett (in white) standing...
  10. Tuppenny Rice

Small heath

I've just realised that the picture I have is of Dowell's Retreat in Warner Street, which isn't the same place, apologies.
  11. Tuppenny Rice

Infant Mortality

In the past people tried to not get too attached to newborns too soon. So if a baby died within hours of birth, they might not name it. Naming of stillborn children wasn't done generally (you still don't have to when you register one in the UK, although most people do). The elite sent babies a...
  12. Tuppenny Rice

Wauman, Thomas and Minnie

C of E then. Although the Baptists were gaining ground at the time, my mom's family defected from Trinity to Small Heath Baptist, even though grandad was the organist at Trinity!
  13. Tuppenny Rice

Someone on the forum may remember them. I'm crossing my fingers!
  14. Tuppenny Rice

I don't think Edith gave away the medals. My reasoning is... Medals are personal and these wouldn't have been valuable back then. No other items were found with them as far as I know, so this isn't a cache of generic 'things an old lady was worried about being stolen'. Edith seems not to have...
  15. Tuppenny Rice

No, only that she was in Daniels Road in 1965. I don't see how she'd have qualified for a largish council house, so I'm not entirely joking when I say it was probably a right to buy and then quick sale. At the time, people didn't know how long the policy might last.
  16. Tuppenny Rice

It's a classic council house. I lived in one with the exact same little concrete thing over the door, on an estate with every house the same. Right to Buy was 1985 so probably someone made a quick buck and then flogged it to Edith lol.
  17. Tuppenny Rice

Updated timeline: 1879 Thomas Wauman born Birmingham 1882 George Horton born 1901 - 2 George in Boer War 1905 George marries Fanny Elizabeth 1908 Gladys Penelope Horton born 1911 George on Birmingham census with Fanny and 2 children Edith May and Gladys Penelope 1914 - 1918 George WW1...
  18. Tuppenny Rice

I've got more details on my timeline now. There's at least 11 years between my relatives the Bennetts arriving and the death of Edith, so it seems unlikely that she gave the medals to the Davises due to going into hospital / a home, and they forgot them when they moved out. We have no reason to...
  19. Tuppenny Rice

Wauman, Thomas and Minnie

Interesting! We know George and Fanny were married in 1905, i wonder if it was there.. What is a traveller in fancy goods?
  20. Tuppenny Rice

Marriage Look Ups please

https://jephcott.one-name.net/ <link A society for the genealogy of Jephcotts, of all spellings. I have Nuneaton (Stockingford) Jeffcotts on my mom's side, of two different spellings.
Back