• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dowell's Retreat almshouses Bordesley

Tuppenny Rice

Tibbatts, Birch, Bennett, Jeffcott families
Two photos of Dowell's Retreat almshouses in Warner Street, Bordesley.

The first by William A Clark in 1932 is held by Birmingham Archive:

I attach another which shows my great aunt Rose Emily Bennett (in white) standing next to her aunt Patience Ann Suffolk nee Jeffcott. Rose used to bring a hot lunch to Patience there in her school lunch break, and do errands for the old ladies. Rose was born in 1902, so the date of the photo would be about 1915. Patience Ann was born in 1878, in Stockingford, Nuneaton. I think Rose's mother, my great grandmother Sarah Ann Bennett nee Jeffcott also lived in Dowell's at the end of her life in the 1940s. If I find any more photos I will post them.

Patience and Rose at Retreat.jpg

Link to some colour photos and a map from @SteveBhx Stevebh and @mikejee mikejee

It looks like there were wash houses / toilets in the two corner yards at the back, you can see a glimpse of laundry drying. I'm quite surprised the garden was so wild.. an early wildlife garden! Does anyone know what the letters in the middle of the garden on the map stand for? Looks like WJP?

Last edited:
Back