• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rag Market

Hi Viv, been browsing this thread as I also love the Raggy. We used to belong to a drama group and got lots of props etc. from here (and material). I've been sorting out my photos, many years' worth, and found this one the other day. My fur coat was my Mom's, 1930's, not from the market so slightly off-thread. I thought I looked wonderful but I suspect there was more than a touch of Flanagan & Allen! And Yes, it is Parker with me (minus beard) together with our little girl, Jenna, who is now 45! Sorry it's not a very good pic.

Attachments

• Ross on Wye.jpg
    Ross on Wye.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 40
Thanks Mickymoo - photo was marked as Birmingham. Thanks for clearing that up.

Love the photo Lady P. Your fur coat was a slightly lighter colour to mine. But then there wasn't much choice at the market! I too thought it was great. Nice a warm waiting for buses etc. Viv.

That's bad news! I go there whenever I go to Town which isn't as often as I'd like, I hadn't heard of this! Are they keeping the outdoor markets?
rosie.

That's bad news! I go there whenever I go to Town which isn't as often as I'd like, I hadn't heard of this! Are they keeping the outdoor markets?
rosie.

This whole area around there is being redeveloped.

The huge Wholesale Market on Upper Dean street has moved to another site and all the buildings on that site have already been demolished (see photo below).

As part of this development the existing Indoor market and Rag market will be demolished (I believe they are going to rebuild an indoor market as part of the new development). I think the outdoor market will also be moved to another site.

This is a HUGE development (the old Wholesale Market site was massive) and is likely to take about 15 years.

The development is going to be called Smithfield and you can read a bit about the plans for the area here:

Here is a map of the area to be redeveloped.

The existing Indoor Market, Rag market, and outdoor market are all at the top of the area bordered in red (inside
the red border).
Smithfield.JPG

Photo of the Wholesale Market site taken a few weeks ago
Market.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Guilbert, I'm "gobsmacked"!! I had no idea this was gong to happen, it was only developed around 2001/2 (?).
I had seen the area left by the wholesale market but this is a shock.
Whilst they were building this replacement Rag Market the old Midland Red bus station was used, and now there won't be one at all. I spent many happy times in the original Market, more Birmingham History lost.
rosie.

rosie there will be no work on the market site until a further excavation has been done as the old moat lies beneath it....link below to a thread which may interest you as ell brown has posted some good photos i am also posting the link to the old moat thread which show some great photos from when it was last excavated just before the market was built

Thank you for those links lyn, I don't know how I've missed mention of this new development. I suppose it's silly to be unsettled by all these changes. I'm a stick-in-the-mud!
(I bought a book about the excavations of St. Martin's it was expensive but worth it)
I hope you are feeling better now, and getting stronger.
rosie.

happy to help rosie and if you think you are a stick in the mud im a double one lol...yes thank you i feel i am getting a little stronger by the day and my walking is getting better..still not overdoing it though...yet again i must say that this forum and its good members is getting me through another difficult time so thanks guys

lyn x

I remember the China pottery auctions on a Saturday at the Rag market. Lots of shouting, banging of the auctioneer’s hammer, tea cups and saucers laid out on long wooden tables, and me in awe of all that was going on. Must have been 8-9 years old. More great memories of my early childhood.

I remember the rag market well, visited almost every Saturday with my mom. I used to get my shoes from there in the 60's, second hand of course. Almost everything was sold there, sweets, clothes, shoes, haberdashery, jewellery......................I loved the man at the entrance who displayed his tea sets in large wicker baskets and was extremely good at throwing plates in the air and catching them along his arm. I also remember the indoor market at the Bull Ring and the stall that used to sell live chicks. I was always fascinated by it and wondered who would buy them and why, I soon found out when my friend bought one for sixpence and took it home. She raised the chick keeping it warm by the open fire. Happy days!

Names of interest: Goodwin, Forster, Hipkiss, Starkey, Jones, Payne
I used to love going to the Rag Market on Saturdays with my best friend. My auntie Rene had a second hand clothes stall and we used to buy old handbags, old fur coats and I still have a pair of yellow clip earrings that I bought from one of the stalls. It was a great place to have a good rummage!

So car boot sales are, it appears, another re-invention of the wheel. :laughing:
At least in the rag market you would be in the warm and dry and what better than a short walk into town afterwards - maybe lunch at Woolworth or a nearby pub. Sounds a better deal to me.

I remember rag market. My parents had a stall there near the crockery man. I used to go in the 50’s and 60’s. I loved helping out on the stall. They had a second hand clothes stall. It was freezing in the winter and my father used to light a paraffin stove to keep warm. I loved the atmosphere and the fabulous people.

Back