• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston University

marmalade

proper brummie kid
Hi all

I would like to compile a brief history of the area of where Aston University is now. I work at the Uni and would like to provide students (and staff) a short history of the location of the uni, what was there before, why our buildings are called what they are etc

I don't want to write a long piece (as they won't read it :D:010: ) but to just provide some context of where we are and the role it played in the development of the city (and also to provide info on the slums, etc)

I am posting to ask if anyone would be willing to help? I'm VERY new to local history and although I'm aware of the photos already on this site I don't want to take anything without the OK of the people who have posted them.

I hope this request isn't against the board. Anything I do will be made available to all on here etc

Thanks for reading :)

marmalade x

"A picture is worth a thousand words"
As you say, people won't read a long (and therefore boring) screed, but almost everyone will look at old photographs. It's not that difficult to collect and arrange permission to publish a selection of photos of the area, and index them to a map, with the approximate dates recorded. Then folks can see, rather than read about, what was there before they were.
Descriptions can be brief, and wherever possible written as captions to the pictures, for instance have pictures of the places and people present day buildings are named after and say why their names were used.

Hello Marmalade
There is an excellent book , produced by Aston University, called "Aston Through The Lens". I think you will find its exactly what your looking for.

Marmalade

A good place for you to start would be right here on the Gosta Green thread. It holds a wealth of information concerning the area around Aston Uni. Places like Woodcock St Baths, Gosta Green, AB Row, Belmont Row, Coleshill St, Gem St, Duke St, Delta Metals, and loads more places that the Uni has swallowed up or are now part of the campus.

Phil

My Dad was a policeman and in the late 1950s early 60s the Birmingham force unveiled their fleet of 'big' motor cycles BSA Gold Flash(they had previously only had less powerful moped style bikes)

The headquarters for the Motorcycle squad was Duke street and it was also the stables for the horses.
The first day the new bikes went out for press photos it was snowing and there were beautiful photos in the Mail of them riding around the drinking fountain which i think is in the Uni grounds now.

Aston through the Lens is a lovely book but I am bound to say that because Sally Hoban was my son's partner at the time she compiled it.

If you contact the Police Museum they will have photos of Duke street police station.

In 1861 my g.g. grandfather had a pub called the Dog & Duck, at 40 Sheep Street, and I believe Sheep Street is now part of the campus.He later went to the Holt Arms, on the corner of Holt Street and Lister Street, and my grandfather was born there. I think the pub is now called the Gosta Green?

Does anybody know if the history of the area around the uni was ever written and finsihed. My ancestors lived in that area and I would be interested in seeing what was written.

I see that Aston University is celebrating the fifty years since it was granted a Charter in 1966 to become a University. Prior to that it was the Birmingham College of Advanced Technology. I was there between 1961 and 1967 and therefore saw the transition. There were three choices of name that were considered for the new university. These were: The University of Mercia, The University of the West Midlands, and the University of Aston in Birmingham. The latter was of course chosen and the name is now shortened to Aston University. The university very quickly built up a reputation for its good links with industry. Sandwich courses were particularly popular whereby one could spend say 6-months in industry and 6-months at the University, over a 4-year period, in order to get a diploma or a degree. It was called the Kremlin, by students, in the early years due to its rather forbidding appearance. Dave
N.B. I looked for a new thread on "schools and colleges" but could not find it.

Did HNC Chemistry at CAT Aston around the same time. I was working at Wilmot Breeden and the company sponsored a post grad research student . Subsequently I did residential course in the Business School there with GKN.

Couldn't find a thread for Birmingham University so I will put this this item of News from June 1953 here...note the name of the Boss!

Europe's largest atom-splitter under test...

The largest atom-splitting machine in Europe, and the second largest in the world, the proton synchrotron at Birmingham University, is now in test operation, after being under construction for severn years, it was announced last night by Professr PB Moon at the University.

Can anyone help with a missing photo, it relates to my Great Uncle Edward Woodward who was a Master Stone Mason and worked on the construction of this University.
The photo shows my Uncle presenting a trowl to I think Princess Margaret when she laid the foundation stone.
I could be wrong it may have been the Queen I cannot be sure, the photo was in our home when I was growing up and I remember my Uncle very well, but the photo has dissappeared now. It was a photo which I think may have appeared in the newspapper but not sure which one it was
Any help would be great

Do you mean Birmingham City university , which was Birmingham city polytechnic?
I am not sure I only know it is not University of Birmingham that is on the Bristol Road, I am sorry I cannot be more helpful but I do regognise the main entrance from the photo which looks like the one you see which is near the Central Fire Station.

Sounds as if you mean the University Of Aston ie C.A.T Gosta Green Princess Margaret did lay foundation stone in 1951

Last edited:
Screenshot (65).png
It seems that the national newspaper "The Sun" used to pay royalties to Aston University for use of the name. The university's newspaper had the name first.

Sounds as if you mean the University Of Aston ie C.A.T Gosta Green Princess Margaret did lay foundation stone in 1951
Hello
Thank you very much, this would be the correct date, I will now try to find a photo maybe in the newspapers of this time.
Regards

Jackd can you edit your post, so you only quote my post once (and move your reply out of the quote). Thanks. Glad it brings back memories. Expect that you wouldn't recognise the modern Aston University campus. They celebrated the 50th anniversary last year (of being a University since 1966).

That looks like the old Gosta Green art school block on the right.

The site was always very confusing as the block on the left was part of Aston University whereas what was the old art school was taken over by what was originally the University of Central England - now Birmingham City University.
In effect, two different universities on one site.

These former BCU buildings to the left are now owned by Aston. Was UCE. The building close to Holt Street was demolished in 2016.

Could a mod rename this thread? As it's not about the University of Birmingham (based in Edgbaston and Selly Oak). And think it's more about Aston University. And not Birmingham City University (which was the University of Central England until a decade ago).

We already have a thread called "Aston University" which I initiated on Sept 5th 2016. Dave.

Note threads now merged.Viv

Do you recognise this, it's Aston University (in 2012)

It's all very confusing - this part of the building at Gosta Green was the Birmingham College of Commerce and Technology (or Technology and Commerce depending on which course you took!) and co-existed with the University of Aston next door. It became part of the University of Central England (in about 1966) before the whole lot was shifted to Perry Barr - and now I think the building has been swallowed into Aston University.
Incidentally another thread talks about the 'paternoster' lifts and these were used here. Not sure if they are still in use - I dread to think what 'Health & Safety' would make of them although I never heard of any major accidents. Can't think why not . . .

I did hear of an accident that one student had to his nose when he thought they were a good method of loking up girl's skirts.

Back