• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Teddy Fan

1. Teddy Fan

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Great names, they all sound very interesting; I might use them in a children's fairy story! Thanks, Viv.
  2. Teddy Fan

Mike, Might that originally have been the Stock Hotel? It may be a coincidence, but in the 18th century the public stocks were very near there - the junction of Dale End, Bull Street and High Street.
  3. Teddy Fan

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I remember many happy nights at the Alhambra and 'Hey There Lonely Girl' is still one of my favourite songs - I'd forgotten they used to play it.
  4. Teddy Fan

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

It's a funny old fact how clubs seemed attractive and exciting as we drank and danced late into the night. In the cold light of day...what a difference! I bet few of us noticed or cared about the grubby carpets, peeling wallpaper and scruffy furniture, which were mercifully hidden in the...
  5. Teddy Fan

Soho Road Handsworth

Judy, thanks, that's a nice front view shot of the Elite.
  6. Teddy Fan

Soho Road Handsworth

Thank you, Astonite, I have been trying to find a good picture of the Elite Cinema for ages. I only remember it from the early 1980s - the man who owned it then was a friend of my husband. We used to help run the late night films every weekend; they were very popular after the pubs had shut...
  7. Teddy Fan

Soho Road Handsworth

Viv, thanks for the two photos of Soho Road - I prefer the old view more than the modern one but I'm glad to see Handsworth Library is still much the same.
  8. Teddy Fan

All of these great stories and pictures bring the old town centre alive - my thanks to everyone. As a young office junior I worked in Temple Street for Grimley & Sons (way back when!). I had to walk the length and breadth of town on a regular basis fetching and carrying for staff members. It was...
  9. Teddy Fan

Sorry Dennis, I meant to include the link for the map showing Bear Yard but I forgot - I see that Mikejee has posted it so thanks to him for that. By the way, I'm Angela!
  10. Teddy Fan

This 1832 map may be of interest as it appears to show Bear Yard (top right hand underlined in red) coming off Union Street right on the edge. Another great story, Dennis, thanks for sharing it.
  11. Teddy Fan

Great detail, Dennis, it was totally absorbing - you are bringing life into the history of streets we all are familiar with. I have been following this thread with fascination; I just wish I had something of my own to contribute. I can only offer my admiration for all the research everyone...
  12. Teddy Fan

Stechford - The Village

Just looked at the Stechford thread as suggested by Winston and enjoyed seeing more photos from Stars. How interesting to see two almost identical shots, taken in different eras, of a group of shops on Station Road. I remember them well from the 1960s. I sometimes got off the number 11 bus...
  13. Teddy Fan

Stechford - The Village

Winston, photos are always welcome, thanks for sharing them. I particularly like the one showing the shops across the road from Stechford Station - I wonder what year that was.
  14. Teddy Fan

Soho Road Handsworth

Three weeks ago my husband and I visited Handsworth for the first time in years; Soho Road was his backyard when he was growing up and he knew every inch of it. There were some places he remembered very well but many parts of it were unrecognisable. Sadly, the same can be said of most 'High...
  15. Teddy Fan

Soho Road Handsworth

I've just read all the way through this thread and I really enjoyed it as Handsworth, Soho Road especially, has a number of family connections for me - here are a few of them: My grandmother and grandfather met for the first time on Soho Road about 1910; My aunt met her future husband for the...
Back