• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by LSt1603

1. L

Bolli of "Pritchard Rd", Glass Blower, 1900

Thanks very much Janice. The adjutant must have been tired with all those mistakes, no wonder I couldn't find him!
  2. L

Bolli of "Pritchard Rd", Glass Blower, 1900

Hello everyone, Would someone be able help me find a Mr. Bolli, a glass manufacturer on "Pritchard Rd"? I don't think there ever was a Pritchard Road, so it must be either Pritchett Street or Pritchatts Road. My ancestor under his employ lived at 26 Court, New John Street in October 1900...
  3. L

349 Bradford Street, Deritend

It's much cheaper and faster to order these now for BMDs up to 1922. For £2.50 the GRO immediately gives you an online image. We might be back to square one (sorry!) with 349 Bradford Street, but both the birth and death registries were written by the same registrant, Charles Preston, on...
  4. L

Maybe I will have to get the birth certificate after all to *triple* check!
  5. L

Having a look at newspapers, it looks like Dunkley's, who made motorised prams, were based at Jamaica Row with their works at the corner of Bradford Street and Mill Lane throughout 1900 to 1907. Is it possible they were living above the works at no. 329?
  6. L

Brilliant, thanks for your help everyone. –Luke
  7. L

Good job I did. Witton Cemetery burial register has his address at 329 Bradford Street!! –Luke
  8. L

Nellie Fisher's beer house on 'western end' of Summer Lane

Hi Lyn, Britain From Above only has photos of the police station unfortunately. -L
  9. L

Thanks for that Mike and Janice. Mike, he was a glass blower originally straight out of elementary school and then became a beveller, porter/mineral water bottler, and then gas engineer for the city council at the 1911 census, where he's living with his aunt-in-law next door to the Unicorn Inn...
  10. L

Hi Janice, Sorry, should have said. His first-born sadly did not survive infancy and this is listed as his address on the death certificate.
  11. L

Hiya, another mapping request from me, promise it's the last one...! Can anyone find 349 Bradford Street for me? My 2nd great grandfather Frank Carroll lived here in 1903 but it looks like the street ends at no. 345, a.k.a the Drovers Arms. On older maps not from the '50s there's buildings in...
  12. L

There might be an aerial photo of it on Britain from Above, I'll have a look for you. "25"... If you're impressed by that, wait till you find out that I'm actually 23 and I've been doing this on and off since I was 10!
  13. L

Found a much higher quality version of this image: https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW037616 Also two other angles from same site (attached). The original photographs show a much wider view as well.
  14. L

45 Witton Street (demolished 1910)

Thank you very much for your help, Mike. I thought it would have been on the west. To add to your evidence, if that map is 1901 as you say and the buildings on the east side seem to have been demolished, then no. 45 was likely on the west for my 'Granddad to have been born there in 1905. All...
  15. L

45 Witton Street (demolished 1910)

Thank you for your help. Is the gap after No. 60 you cite because these are businesses/warehouses, etc.? If so, where are the three cottages? They're on the 1881 census and you've also come across them. I had this problem too. The newer houses there today threw me initially as they stop at no...
Back