• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

45 Witton Street (demolished 1910)

LSt1603

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I'm trying to place 45 Witton Street and I'm hoping someone can help.

On the 1881 census it is listed as next door to "Prices Cottages", but I can't find this on even detailed maps of Witton Street from the time. It's also apparently near to Court 8, but of course that doesn't tell you whether it was next door or opposite.

I'm 95% certain it was on the side of the road that became Garrison Lane Park, so it would have been demolished in 1910.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• historic_roam (4).png
    historic_roam (4).png
    881.5 KB · Views: 16
hopefully mike one of our map experts can help you but the park is listed as 74 witton st

lyn

Only guessing but in 1891 the next house number after court 5 is no. 32. And after no.46 there is gap until the next numbered house, no. 60, though there are 3 unnumbered 'cottages' listed in between.

Assuming that no. 32 was the house to the north of the entrance to court no. 5 and that the houses on the 2 corners are numbered under Lower Dartmouth St then counting from no. 32 would put no. 45 first house on the right up from Lower Dartmouth St (not corner), then no. 46 and the a gap in numbering. Court no. 8 follows no. 61.

Lots of assumptions though. 1950 map has numbering and the first on the right after the corner is no. 46 but everything's rebuilt so can't tell if it corresponds.

Also the part of Witton St on the other side of Garrison Lane appears to be listed separate and after no. 46 there are 11 front 'houses' before it moves on to Barwell Road which again sorts of corresponds.

Hi, I'm trying to place 45 Witton Street and I'm hoping someone can help.

On the 1881 census it is listed as next door to "Prices Cottages", but I can't find this on even detailed maps of Witton Street from the time. It's also apparently near to Court 8, but of course that doesn't tell you whether it was next door or opposite.

I'm 95% certain it was on the side of the road that became Garrison Lane Park, so it would have been demolished in 1910.

Many thanks.
could you tell us the name of the person you are researching please and year of birth as it may help

lyn

could you tell us the name of the person you are researching please and year of birth as it may help

lyn

Sorry, should have said.

My great grandfather Albert William Carroll, born 1905 at 45 Witton Street. The family didn't stay long at this address as his brother Frank was born at 249 Great Lister Street two years later.
I'm not necessarily looking for anything genealogical, though, as I know him well through family stories, etc. and as far as I know I've exhausted the historical record.

Just trying to map this house as I've only just realised the ones on Witton Street today weren't actually there in 1905–07.
Thank you for asking.

Only guessing but in 1891 the next house number after court 5 is no. 32. And after no.46 there is gap until the next numbered house, no. 60, though there are 3 unnumbered 'cottages' listed in between.

Assuming that no. 32 was the house to the north of the entrance to court no. 5 and that the houses on the 2 corners are numbered under Lower Dartmouth St then counting from no. 32 would put no. 45 first house on the right up from Lower Dartmouth St (not corner), then no. 46 and the a gap in numbering. Court no. 8 follows no. 61.

Thank you for your help. Is the gap after No. 60 you cite because these are businesses/warehouses, etc.?
If so, where are the three cottages? They're on the 1881 census and you've also come across them.

Lots of assumptions though. 1950 map has numbering and the first on the right after the corner is no. 46 but everything's rebuilt so can't tell if it corresponds.

Also the part of Witton St on the other side of Garrison Lane appears to be listed separate and after no. 46 there are 11 front 'houses' before it moves on to Barwell Road which again sorts of corresponds.
I had this problem too. The newer houses there today threw me initially as they stop at no. 46 at the end of the street.
Could you give me a random name from the 1891 census so I could have a look myself? It's quite difficult searching by address on the censuses before 1911.

The houses on the west side of the street in 1901 are shown on the map below , They correspond to those on the 1880s map . There was no renumbering of plots in the street, and so , as no 46 is now the last house on the east side, then 45 must be the house marked in blue on the 1880s map. (the house on the corner next to it faces dartmouth st and would have been numbered in that street) The prices cottages would have been the ones in red , as the enumerator went up the other side of the road. In fact in the 1870s Prices cottages were described in newspaper mentions as on dartmouth st.

witton st 1901.jpgmap 1880s showing probable position of no 45 and Prices cottages.jpg

The houses on the west side of the street in 1901 are shown on the map below , They correspond to those on the 1880s map . There was no renumbering of plots in the street, and so , as no 46 is now the last house on the east side, then 45 must be the house marked in blue on the 1880s map. (the house on the corner next to it faces dartmouth st and would have been numbered in that street) The prices cottages would have been the ones in red , as the enumerator went up the other side of the road. In fact in the 1870s Prices cottages were described in newspaper mentions as on dartmouth st.

View attachment 184187View attachment 184188

Thank you very much for your help, Mike. I thought it would have been on the west.

To add to your evidence, if that map is 1901 as you say and the buildings on the east side seem to have been demolished, then no. 45 was likely on the west for my 'Granddad to have been born there in 1905.

All the best,
L

hi ...mike has posted a map marking out where no 45 and prices cottages were..not sure if you saw it

lyn

Thank you very much for your help, Mike. I thought it would have been on the west.

To add to your evidence, if that map is 1901 as you say and the buildings on the east side seem to have been demolished, then no. 45 was likely on the west for my 'Granddad to have been born there in 1905.

All the best,
L
The map is a reproduction from Alan Godrey maps of an ordinance survey map published in 1905. These were based on partial resurveys which are stated to have occurred for Birmingham in 1901-2, though the map itself states 1903. The partial resurvey is known to have on occasion missed some changes, but any changes that are marked on the map will be correct

Last edited:
Back