• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Linda

1. Linda

Onion Fair

Nothing to do with guns , but I remember spending what seemed like forever on ‘cake walk, at the fair on a Saturday afternoon! Josephine I assume you are related to Susan Chapman , who I used to go to school with at Yew Tree School . We were in the skittle ball team together .I posted a picture...
  2. Linda

Bread and Dripping

Am I really the only person who had 'pieces' Mom would always ask "what do want on your piece? " This was 1950's Aston .
  3. Linda

Bread and Dripping

Whats with all these “sarnies” . What happened to “ pieces “
  4. Linda

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hello I have a cash book for the Tool Room Ex -Apprentices and Apprentice Social Club . all entries in my uncle Harry Peakman's writing presumably he was the secretary or treasurer. I do have some photos and other bits of ephemera Here are a few pictures of receipts for 1950 , does anyone...
  5. Linda

D H S C . Bagatelle Handicap 1st Prize

Thanks for your ideas . Looking up S C sends me in the direction of social care , but as you say Viv it probably a social club. As the badge was assayed in 1902 the club is most likely long gone. Hey Ho , onwards and upwards. Thanks again for your ideas Linda
  6. Linda

Thanks for replying , it could well be bagatelle ! This is as clear as I can make the photo. Linda
  7. Linda

Hello Everyone I have the above silver badge hallmarked Birmingham 1902 .I think the name on the front is G. Burrows , very difficult to see. I found it in the big jar of buttons, broken jewellery , etc that my family kept . I have tried to look it up , but have had no success . Anyone, any...
  8. Linda

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

Oh the joys of walking to school in 63.!! From Yew Tree Road ( we always called it Witton but it is Aston) up to the top of Marsh Hill to the girls school . Thanks for the chilly reminder.
  9. Linda

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ON BHF 2023

Wishing everyone a very Happy and Peaceful New Year
  10. Linda

Ebenezer Sunday School Steelhouse Lane

Hello lovely people I have a book in my possession , given as a prize to a relative in 1912 . I am trying to work who received it . All the possibilities seem to be too old. However , it does say ‘Senior Division ‘ I was wondering whether anybody knew what ages constituted ‘Senior Division ‘...
  11. Linda

Orchard Road & Orchard Terrace

Yes it is on 1921 census I cannot find him. Why would Union Terrace Aston be classified as Bloomsbury?
  12. Linda

Apologies for my late reply , thanks for your suggestions. I have him as many electoral registers that i can find . I do know where all his sons were, however I still cannot find John . He died in 1936 I believe he was at 2 back 143 Moseley Street St Martins and Deritend in 1920 and 1 back 1...
  13. Linda

Once again thank you for your help, I looked back into my records . John was born in Union Terrace Aston in 1857. He died in 1936, his address was 1/1 Orchard Road Balsall Heath , it was registered by his son. Bearing in mind that you' can be certain about the truth but you cannot be sure the...
  14. Linda

Hello thanks everyone for your help, maps particularly useful. It is my Great Grandfather John Richardson I am looking for , he and Great Grandmother separated. In the 1911 census I have him boarding with a widow and her son at this address 9Stonehouse Place Ormond Street Carter (Builders) he...
  15. Linda

Thanks for the reply but Sparkbrook, wouldn't come under this would it.? The 1921 census does not seem to recognise Sparkbrook, although the map that comes with other places I have researched on the census is clearly marked Sparkbrook. I don't understand !!!
Back