• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bread and Dripping

Oooooo the jelly bit was delicious !

Viv
thats it am going to heron later to buy a tub of dripping with the jelly at the bottom... :D but cant beat it when you cook a piece of beef or pork..i then pour excess fats into a container let it set and pop into the fridge its then dripping on toast with a tiny sprinkle of salt for a few days...:D:D:D

lyn

thats it am going to heron later to buy a tub of dripping with the jelly at the bottom... :D but cant beat it when you cook a piece of beef or pork..i then pour excess fats into a container let it set and pop into the fridge its then dripping on toast with a tiny sprinkle of salt for a few days...:D:D:D

lyn
i have already eat my dripping on toast this morning after i took the dog out for a walk. i have plenty in the fridge as stock:grinning::yum

Attachments

• dripping.jpg
    dripping.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 5
Anyone remenber another by-gone delicacy - "cabbage-water" - the water you boiled the cabbage in? hot, and with plenty of pepper!

Anyone remenber another by-gone delicacy - "cabbage-water" - the water you boiled the cabbage in? hot, and with plenty of pepper!
dad used to drink it when mom cooked the spring cabbage as you say with plenty of pepper :)

lyn

a bit off thread, but i remember cabbage water,sprout water.and potato water.mom was a terrible cook every thing was boiled away into the water :)

Dripping isn't so popular these days. My grandpa used to do it a lot, dripping sarnies for us as a special treat on lazy Sunday afternoons. He had a secret family recipe for the perfect beef dripping, which he'd carefully collect from Sunday roasts. His dripping sandwiches were a cherished tradition in our family, and I can still remember the delicious aroma filling the kitchen as he worked his culinary magic.
Grandpa would spread a generous layer of warm, golden dripping onto freshly baked crusty bread, and it would melt in our mouths with every bite. Those moments of enjoying his dripping sandwiches, with a hint of salt and pepper, created lasting memories and a strong sense of family bonding. Even though food trends have evolved, the taste of his homemade dripping sandwiches remains etched in my heart, a nostalgic reminder of simpler times.
In contrast to today's trends, with gourmet ingredients like cream cheese Alfredo sauce, and elaborate sandwiches taking the spotlight, my grandpa's simple yet hearty dripping sandwiches hold a special place in our family's culinary history, reminding us of the comfort and love he poured into every bite.

Last edited:
John
I suspect that the freshly baked bread contributed a lot to it., especially as it was probably bread made properly, though perhaps you were not . lucky enough to have bread baked in an oven heated traditionally by burnt faggots, which made it even better

Dripping isn't so popular these days. My grandpa used to do it a lot, dripping sarnies for us as a special treat on lazy Sunday afternoons. He had a secret family recipe for the perfect beef dripping, which he'd carefully collect from Sunday roasts. His dripping sandwiches were a cherished tradition in our family, and I can still remember the delicious aroma filling the kitchen as he worked his culinary magic.
Grandpa would spread a generous layer of warm, golden dripping onto freshly baked crusty bread, and it would melt in our mouths with every bite. Those moments of enjoying his dripping sandwiches, with a hint of salt and pepper, created lasting memories and a strong sense of family bonding. Even though food trends have evolved, the taste of his homemade dripping sandwiches remains etched in my heart, a nostalgic reminder of simpler times.
In contrast to today's trends, with gourmet ingredients like cream cheese Alfredo sauce, and elaborate sandwiches taking the spotlight, my grandpa's simple yet hearty dripping sandwiches hold a special place in our family's culinary history, reminding us of the comfort and love he poured into every bite.
Welcome to The Forum John, enjoy! You are not alone with the dripping sandwiches, we had ours on toast with a little salt!

as for fresh baked bread a lot of folks still make it here i think nothing is nicer than a fresh tin or cottage loaf still warm from the oven:yum
View attachment 184802or anyone View attachment 184803
Ok, now you have done it! My wife and daughter want to know if you or anyone have a receipt for the tin and cottage loaf? The cottage loaf was my absolute favorite with strong cheddar and Spanish onions.

going off thread but hear yo u are

Yes, for me, memories of childhood. A late winter's afternoon, a Saturday or Sunday probably, dusk approaching, us back home from wherever we had been, black-out frames put up in the window, curtains drawn, the outside world shut away and forgotten about. And Dad or Mum would appear out of the kitchen with a plateful of toast and dripping and we would all huddle around the fire to gobble it up. A taste, and a feeling of safety and togetherness, never to be forgotten.

Chris

ater we all had a bath in front of the fire in the tin bath we would sit listening to the new cosser radio and toasting bread on the open fire with a fork made from a wire coat hanger and covering it with bacon dripping or whats left over from the sunday roast then off to bed
happy days

going off thread but hear yo u are
Thank you! I will pass along to my wife and daughter. I can taste it now.

Yes, for me, memories of childhood. A late winter's afternoon, a Saturday or Sunday probably, dusk approaching, us back home from wherever we had been, black-out frames put up in the window, curtains drawn, the outside world shut away and forgotten about. And Dad or Mum would appear out of the kitchen with a plateful of toast and dripping and we would all huddle around the fire to gobble it up. A taste, and a feeling of safety and togetherness, never to be forgotten.

Chris
Wonderful description! Ours was usually on Sunday night when we were stalling to go to bed!

Whats with all these “sarnies” . What happened to “ pieces “
'sarnie' doesn't seem to have originated until the 1960's, probably in the North of England. I suspect it was a Midland expression as I have never heard it in the West of England - except of course by expats from the Midlands. :laughing:

just had some chicken drumsticks cooked in dripping, so now i have a good supply of dripping for the rest of the weeks toast :yum:yum

Bread and dripping is a time honored British favorite that makes the most of tasty meat drippings coupled with chunks of crusty bread. Sometimes referred to as a mucky sandwich, it once enjoyed a great deal of popularity in local pubs as well as in the home. In recent years, the dish has lost ground to more healthy alternatives, but it is still possible to find pubs that serve platters of thick slices of bread and dripping along with hearty British ales.:yum
Yes I'd be interested to know where such inns are , I could strangle a dripping sandwich anytime of the day . Don't be shy Pete give us the Gen

Back