• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Onion Fair

Never liked fairs and I think if I’d been taken to the Onion Fair I would have hated it. (Am I the only person?!). But I suppose if it was one of the few entertainments of the year, then I can see why so many looked forward to it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dislike of fairs may be something to do with my parents discouraging me from going to them. Don’t know why. Did it attract undesirables perhaps ? Were other children discouraged ?

Viv.

Last edited:
I wasn't discouraged by my parents, in fact they took me as a child so I guess they enjoyed it themselves.
My mother was actually quite a good shot on the rifle range - you could never win a big prize though - she said they slightly bent the gun sight to stop that!

Never liked fairs and I think if I’d been taken to the Onion Fair I would have hated it. (Am I the only person?!). But I suppose if it was one of the few entertainments of the year, then I can see why so many looked forward to it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dislike of fairs may be something to do with my parents discouraging me from going to them. Don’t know why. Did it attract undesirables perhaps ? Were other children discouraged ?

Viv.
I liked fairs but my parents always discouraged it, I think because they did not have on want to give me money to go.

Ned Williams book "The Birmingham Onion Fair", states that By 1860, local tradesmen businessmen were worried that onion sellers and horse traders were OK, but showmen were unwanted and should be banned. In 1875 the regulations were changed and wild beast shows,, shooting galleries and the pitching of any show or exhibition was banned from the fair in the Bull Ring, But that an attempt to keep alive the "fun of the fair" had been made by establishing a rendezvous for stalls and exhibitions on a piece of waste ground in Aston
Mike, I know that the Onion Fair ended up on the Serpentine Ground but I seem to remember that it first went to what was to become Walmer Recreation Ground in Miller Street / St Stephen's Street? Can you recall if this is right?

Mike, I know that the Onion Fair ended up on the Serpentine Ground but I seem to remember that it first went to what was to become Walmer Recreation Ground in Miller Street / St Stephen's Street? Can you recall if this is right?
pen i seem to recall that as well sure ive read it somewhere...will try and find out

lyn

My Grandad was a Boxer from Aston born in 1920s i think (Portland street) my mar grew up listening to him tell stories about the onion fair in aston he once boxed randalph turpin there was just wondering if anyone had any stories or photos of the onion fair please
Thanks , Billy

As you pass through life, one thing that is always with you is a little book of memories that seems to be in a pocket somwhere regardless. It is meant for more-special memories, can be fleeting moments or a big occasion, but what is interesting it that they always just appear in it for you by themselves, you never actually need to write anything down. Magic? Oh yes!

Until some time in my early teens I was taken to the Onion Fair every year by Dad, keeping up a tradition from his own childhood when his father did the same with him.

One very special memory I have of Dad, who died in 2003 just a couple of weeks before his 76th birthday, comes from a time at the Onion Fair when I was probably around 7, as near as I can make it now.

We always had so much fun on the rides and the stalls, and of course constantly had some fairground food on the go!

Dad always let me steer the bumper cars, though he also made sure to get a go himself as well!

And it was on the shooting range that I first fired an air rifle when I was around 9, and seemed to be a decent shot which led to Dad giving me his own first air rifle, a break-barrel .177, that was safely packed away still where he lived as a boy and where my Grandmother lived until her death. Oh the tons of clothes pegs we shot off the line in the garden over the years!

But anyway, this one time was a couple of years earlier and we were moving around the various stalls and games in the centre of the fairgroud, and stopped to have a go ar the 3-darts-in-3-playing cards one. I can't remember ever winning anything though maybe I did perhaps, but on this occasion when Dad had his turn I said to him with great certainty "When you win, I'll have that Teddy Bear please!"

Not "if," but "when". No pressure then.

When the first dart went in to a card however it only reinforced that I had been right in thinking Teddy was mine, lol, and when #2 dart did the same I suppose that Dad was mentally keeping his fingers crossed ... well in the non-throwing hand anyway.

And ... yes the third one was another good shot, just as all little boys expected from their Dad, right?!

So that glorious glistening golden-coloured Teddy with the deep brown eyes was reached down and handed over to me, as tall as up to my chin! I think we were going around for a little more time yet because it was still quite light and the real magic happened when it got dark and all the lights and colours mixed in with the smells and the noises properly.

And I remember that a goldfish in a plastic bag joined the family too, but that was for Dad to carry because I wasn't letting go of Teddy, lol.

And eventually we needed to leave, and getting home was a 2-bus journey with me sitting by the window and Ted looking out of it to see where his new home was going to be. And he waved back at people who noticed :)

Mum's eyes opened wide with surprise when we walked in, and she asked me between laughing to tell her all about how we won him!

In the meantime Dad was busy taking care of the goldfish that I'm sure must have been a handful to manage at times lol, and Goldie was clearly happy in his new home and seemed to enjoy his bowl and gravel and shipwreck and weed that Dad came home with a couple of days later (when it hadn't already died!)

And Ted? He's still mine though has been shared with three sons across the years, and is still with me on a chair just a few feet from the desk I am writing this on, still with his mostly glistening golden fur though now just slightly threadbare here and there ...

But what else would you expect after so many squillion hugs?

It is said with some authority that Charlie Chaplin was born on the Black Patch.
I am Jack Hills Grandson, but I suspect you may already know that. I have been involved in the Black Patch and the Chaplin connection since around 2011. I am just back from recording the narration for the feature film, about Charlie, and his birth, and his early life. It will be released either late Summer, or early 2024, in New York and Paris initially, before a release here in the UK. For any further information....just ask. Thanks G.

I am Jack Hills Grandson, but I suspect you may already know that. I have been involved in the Black Patch and the Chaplin connection since around 2011. I am just back from recording the narration for the feature film, about Charlie, and his birth, and his early life. It will be released either late Summer, or early 2024, in New York and Paris initially, before a release here in the UK. For any further information....just ask. Thanks G.
i love cc silent movies he has me in stiches, and some times in tears:grinning::sob:

no they did not bend sights or the gun barrels, that is a excuse by bad shooters. the sights may be off. becouse the weapons are just from the box, and not zeroed in, so you have a job to hit the target and win that teddy :grinning:
One of the guys that worked the shooting stall used to lodge at my Gran and Grandads on Holte Road. Whenever Dad (as a young lad) went to his shooting stall, he would be directed to a “good” gun, which rather suggests the guns certainly weren’t set up so you could hit the targets. The coconuts were rigged as well.

One of the guys that worked the shooting stall used to lodge at my Gran and Grandads on Holte Road. Whenever Dad (as a young lad) went to his shooting stall, he would be directed to a “good” gun, which rather suggests the guns certainly weren’t set up so you could hit the targets. The coconuts were rigged as well.
Nothing to do with guns , but I remember spending what seemed like forever on ‘cake walk, at the fair on a Saturday afternoon!
Josephine I assume you are related to Susan Chapman , who I used to go to school with at Yew Tree School . We were in the skittle ball team together .I posted a picture of the team on here years ago but it seems to have disappeared. I will look it out and post it again.
Apologies for going off theme .

Back