• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by ealex40

1. E

Waverley Grammar School

I recently learned from a fellow pupil, Gillian Herdman (1951-56), that Miss Howarth's Christian name was Mary.
  2. E

Waverley Grammar School

Exactly. I don't think her name was Florence either.
  3. E

Waverley Grammar School

Hate to burst your bubble but the school design/windows in the background do not match today's building photographs. Completely different layout. Our school (Waverley) only has one main window per bay, whereas the P.E. school has four, tall narrow windows per bay.
  4. E

Waverley Grammar School

Hello Dave, Hope you are keeping well and staying out of trouble. Back in the early 2000's , After Jim Hunt's passing, I remember you obtained quite a collection of The Arch and sent me a CD at that time, of the publication, dating from 1955 -1967. I left in June of 1956 and wondered if you...
  5. E

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

Hello devonjim, Hope you can enlarge this photograph of Form 4A By the way, Cliff Beddows was in the year below Eunice and me.
  6. E

Hi, Just been looking at her form photo (Form 4 A), along with Bernice Davis, Glenda Wake, etc. I was in 4-S, so we only really mixed with the girls from our Form and your wife probably didn't know our names either. I don't remember a Cliff Beddows from our year and I knew the names of...
  7. E

Hello devonjim, I also went to Waverley Grammar School and left in July 1956. Several of my friends had to stay on until the end of 1956, because they had not reached the age of 16. You said the same applied to your wife. What was her name? Maybe we were in the same form. Ted Alexander
  8. E

Stanville Road Primary School, Sheldon

Thanks for your help. The 1911 Census pretty much confirms that the two ladies are the same people I have been wondering about. The address on the census matches the location of the cottage where the two sisters lived for so many years, so all I have to do is figure out which of the sisters was...
  9. E

Stanville Road Primary School, Sheldon

Miss Spencer was my first teacher in 1945 at Stanville Road school. She lived in Barrows Lane and walked every day to school, and even when I would be on my way to work in the mid 1950's we would pass and say our "Good Mornings" to one another. It seemed as if everyone from the neighbourhood was...
  10. E

Rover Solihull Dances

Back in the 1950's and 1960's, dances were held at the Rover in Lode Lane, Solihull and tickets were like gold dust. You had to know someone in order to obtain them. Rover laid on free buses from the Wheatsheaf/Coventry Road and the dances were, I believe, held once a month on a Friday evening...
  11. E

Barrows Stores

Barrows Store in town.......................expensive and seemingly exclusive. I read somewhere recently on this site that the 1851 census showed Richard Barrow, Tea Dealer at 93 Bull Street, probably the same family. Do you suppose Barrows Lane in Sheldon was named after the Barrow family...
  12. E

Rubber road Minories Lewis's

Thanks for your replies. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful and friendly you all are. I have asked questions before and have always been impressed with your immediate responses.
  13. E

Rubber road Minories Lewis's

Why was the road covered with rubber. When was it done and when was it removed? Now this area has glass doors at each end of where the road led through and appears to be a kind of reception area..
  14. E

Evington Terrace, Hay Mills

Thanks for the old map and the information I was seeking. I could not have asked for such a speedy reply.
Back