• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Crump. Back then Cockshut Hill was an infant, junior and senior school. I went to Cockshut Hill Infants and Juniors, until it became an all senior school in 1958. I passed the 11 plus and went to Byng Kenrick Girls Grammar School.
Ann

Ann. So what ages would Infant.Junior and Senior cover? I know that at 11 I went to Moseley School of art. but I also could have gone to a Tech school, but chose Moseley. John

I went to Cockshut Hill until it became a senior school, probably around 1958. Then Blakenhale, passed 11 plus then Sheldon Heath Comp as it was local, big mistake in my opinion. John, did our paths cross?

John, Infants were 5 to 7, and then juniors were 7 to 11.
Sheldontony, I moved to Blakenhale from Cockshut in 1958. I was at Blakenhale for 2 years. Plenty of maypole dancing at Blakenhale.

John, Infants were 5 to 7, and then juniors were 7 to 11.
Sheldontony, I moved to Blakenhale from Cockshut in 1958. . Plenty of maypole dancing at Blakenhale.
In 1948 infants and juniors from that area went to either Church Road or Bordesley Green until Blakenhale was built and then on to Cockshut at 11 unless you had managed to get a place at one of the Grammar schools. I thought that a choice of going to Moseley Art, Bordesley Tech or Sparkhill Commercial came at the age of 13. I was at Blakenhale 1948-51 and never danced a maypole so that pleasure must have been introduced later.

I was born in June 1933. I remember going to Moseley Art on the bus from Moat Lane Yardley during the war. In fact a church next door to the school across from the Baths was bombed out. So this would have to have been 1944 when I was 11yrs old. John Crump

devon jim, who do you remember at blakenhale? John Lorton, Paul Collier, John Barker?
It's obvious from our comments that the function of the different schools was adjusted to suit varying demand, sounds sensible!
Don't recall any of those names. Len Pow, Barry Coral, Bobby McLeish, were my particular mates. Members of staff would be more static names I recall are headmaster, Mr Hardingham, Mr Garrison, Mr Rome, Mr Pearmain and Miss Shellard. I understand that the school is now part of an academy,

Hi, My wife was Eunice Kirby, our best man, Cliff Beddows was also from the same year at Waverley.

Hi, Just been looking at her form photo (Form 4 A), along with Bernice Davis, Glenda Wake, etc. I was in 4-S, so we only really mixed with the girls from our Form and your wife probably didn't know our names either. I don't remember a Cliff Beddows from our year and I knew the names of practically all the boys....we had been together for 5 years.
Incidentally, if you went to Camp Hill, you may remember a childhood friend of mine, from Sheldon, Peter Witherington....same age as us.

Hi, Just been looking at her form photo (Form 4 A), along with Bernice Davis, Glenda Wake, etc. I was in 4-S, so we only really mixed with the girls from our Form and your wife probably didn't know our names either. I don't remember a Cliff Beddows from our year and I knew the names of practically all the boys....we had been together for 5 years.
Incidentally, if you went to Camp Hill, you may remember a childhood friend of mine, from Sheldon, Peter Witherington....same age as us.
Pete Witherington was certainly in the same year and for some of the years in the same form. We were always sat in strictly alphabetical sequence so would be in the same row of desks. A copy of that 4A photo would be great. I think you can send it directly to me via the personal message system on the forum. Cliff was only some six weeks younger than me so I always assumed he was in the same year maybe he was in the next year as I was quite near to the cut off age for the 1951 entry.

Have deleted this duplicate posting.

Attachments

• the arch 1955-67 056.jpg
    the arch 1955-67 056.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Hello devonjim. I think it's true to say that we didn't have individual form photographs at Camp Hill GS. Instead, there would be a panoramic photograph of the whole school, including all the masters, taken every 2 years. Approximately 600 pupils would be on the photograph. I still have the photographs for 1956 (old school) and 1958 and 1960 at the new school. Dave.

. I still have the photographs for 1956 (old school) and 1958 and 1960 at the new school. Dave.
Been having a rummage and found 1952 copy, in pieces and a bit missing, plus ok copies of 1956 and 1958. No sign of 1954.Also this very posed picture of "The Library" at Kings Heath. img076.jpg

Thanks devonjim. I've got the same photograph of the Camp Hill Library at Kings Heath. It's in the souvenir programme for the Official Opening of the new school dated 29th March 1957. I can see that neither of us could throw things away. Dave.

I went to Erdington Grammar in the 50s,when I went we had to submit our 3 choices,mine were Erdington,Saltley and Handsworth.

I think it was based on what marks you achieved but I was lucky enough to go to Erdington, where I lived.
Kitting me out with uniform was a very expensive time for my parents.
Later the headmistress at Erdington(Miss Hill) entered me for the entrance exam to King Edwards High(I think you had to be 13 to go there) and I passed but after the expense of
sending me to Erdington my parents thought that it best I stay where I was.
I was never a good learner but a good exam taker.LOL
My sister was the opposite.She failed her 11+ and went to Fentham Road but a year later she retook it and went to Holte Grammar.

Although Grammar schools were an excellent idea and in a way I wish they were still around ,I think to gain entrance to a school based on one written exam is wrong.

I don't remember if everyone had the chance to sit the 11+ or whether you could opt out, or even if you were given the chance because it was felt you had the ability to pass.
There are a couple of Friends Reunited.

My sister, Margaret Tidball, attended Erdington Grammar School, 1955 onwards. We lived in Tile Cross so it was a long bus journey for her. She was such a hard working student; her determination to succeed inspired me to work equally hard at Byng Kenrick Grammar school. No regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello devonjim,
I also went to Waverley Grammar School and left in July 1956. Several of my friends had to stay on until the end of 1956, because they had not reached the age of 16. You said the same applied to your wife. What was her name? Maybe we were in the same form.
Ted Alexander
Does anyone who was at Waverley in 1950's remember why the head mistress was known as "Float" I think her name was Hawarth.

I took the 11+ in 1944 chose the Moseley School of art, could have gone to a tech school as I was also good at math. Often now wonder how very different my life would have been had I taken a different path at age 11+ Do they still have the 11+s ?

I took my 11+ at Queensbridge School Kings Heath, my choices were King Edwards Camp Hill, Moseley Grammar School & Waverley Grammar School, I finished up at Waverley which would have been my first choice as it was a Football playing school.
It was a funny experience really as I had never sat a formal exam before, we only had tests at Junior School in class & knew our results there & then.
I didn't enjoy school apart from sport but now on reflection they were great times & I wished I had worked harder at Waverley, I still meet up with a lot of my schoolmates even now 50 years after leaving.
[/I too went to Queensbridge and was in the first tranche of pupils when it first opened in ?1953?and was transferred after a couple of years to Waverley Grammar. I have tried to get archive information from Quennsbridge but it seems they have no records from the early 50’s.

I passed my 11plus and was sent to Queensbridge in ?1953? as a Grammar School student.
I was then transferred to Waverley after a couple of years.
I have asked QB if they have any archives for their early years but they don’t seem to have any records form 53/54 when it first opened. Strange?

I think schools at the present time are only expected to keep records for 7 years - from when the pupil leaves. So very few schools would have records from the 1950s.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone can please help me, I am looking for information for my mum's 80th birthday next year as I want to do a THIS IF YOUR LIFE presentation. She went to St Pauls girls school, Vernon Road, Edgbaston and Lode Heath Grammar school. Would love some info/pics if possible please.

I passed to Grammar School but not allowed to go. Something I deeply regret because it affected my general knowledge profoundly. I had to go to a Commercial College. My brother went to George Dixon but not allowed to go to University and eventually he took up teaching where he met his future wife who was also a teacher. I often think of what could have been. Cosette It all ended happily with happy marriages and children but ..........

Cosette,

I think a lot depended on costs and whether the family could really afford it. There was also a tendency in some families for it to be assumed that girls would get married at an early age and hence the whole process would be a waste of time & money. Bear in mind that people get married much latter today, if at all. I passed and went to Moseley Grammar, but my father died two years later and my mother, doing three part-time jobs to make end meet, could not afford for me to stay to do A Levels. That suited me because I hated school and couldn't wait to leave - a mixture of poor eyesight, bullying and not being allowed to do the subjects that I wanted to and that I was good at. A lot of thopse problems are still there nearly 70 years later, and given the lack of discipline, I cannot see some of them being solved in the next 70 years.

Needless to say, my full-time education did not resume until I was 43 years old and financially able to do an HND, in which I got a Distinction, before the onset of charging to do higher education courses. Today even that option would not have been open to me.

Maurice :cool:

Sorry, off-topic rant!
If you go back to the very beginning of this thread.........How NICE it would have been (but unlikely in the extreme) if the results of members' generous assistance at the time on this subject - ten years ago now - could at some stage have been shared with them. At least 14/15 bits of help provided within days and many thereafter. An article/essay/paper which was no doubt written using information from the Forum and elsewhere. And which would have contained material of interest to this day as part of Birmingham's history which all of us try to record and preserve.

I'm afraid this is an example, amongst so many right up to the present time, of a new member appearing, giving little or nothing, taking as much as possible and then disappearing without a further word, least of all a thank you.

But at least we are left with a thread which continues to arouse interest from time to time and so I suppose we should feel grateful for that! Thanks to everyone for ongoing interest and contributions - long may they continue.

Chris

Chris,

I sure many on such projects, post similar threads on other sites and then forget just exactly where they have posted. Like many oldtimers I'm sure, my link is set to go straight to the New Posts page. If I have posted a request and not had a reply then I have nothing to worry about until a reply emerges. 99% of the time is keeps me out of trouble! :)

Cosette,

I think a lot depended on costs and whether the family could really afford it. There was also a tendency in some families for it to be assumed that girls would get married at an early age and hence the whole process would be a waste of time & money. Bear in mind that people get married much latter today, if at all. I passed and went to Moseley Grammar, but my father died two years later and my mother, doing three part-time jobs to make end meet, could not afford for me to stay to do A Levels. That suited me because I hated school and couldn't wait to leave - a mixture of poor eyesight, bullying and not being allowed to do the subjects that I wanted to and that I was good at. A lot of thopse problems are still there nearly 70 years later, and given the lack of discipline, I cannot see some of them being solved in the next 70 years.

Needless to say, my full-time education did not resume until I was 43 years old and financially able to do an HND, in which I got a Distinction, before the onset of charging to do higher education courses. Today even that option would not have been open to me.

very good points raised maurice...i did not pass my 11 plus but being the eldest of 6 children i doubt very much if mom and dad would have afforded for me to go to grammar school..however knowing how keen i was to work in an office they managed to let me stay on to take my cse exams of which shorthand and typing was a must for office work...i passed with flying colours and got the office job i wanted..i wonder just how many children passed the 11 plus but due to financial circumstances could not go to the grammar schools...i only recall one friend who passed and was able to go through grammar school and she was an only child..

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back