• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rover Solihull Dances

ealex40

ex-Sheldonite
Back in the 1950's and 1960's, dances were held at the Rover in Lode Lane, Solihull and tickets were like gold dust. You had to know someone in order to obtain them. Rover laid on free buses from the Wheatsheaf/Coventry Road and the dances were, I believe, held once a month on a Friday evening. The bands/orchestras were quite top notch and the drinks were cheaper than one would pay at a pub. I left the country in 1963, so I have no idea how long these dance nights continued, so I am hoping others remember this topic.

I went to one or two Rover dances. My father was plant engineer at Axle Division, Perry Barr - he was with Rover for 38 years. I met my husband in 1963 and we went to one or two before we married, despite the fact he does not (will not) dance. I also remember Rover Sports days - much fun to be had there.

hi ealx
we went there last week for a st patricks dance evening ; and i can tell you it was our first visit there ever ; and we was amazed by the volume
of people that was there and yes it was tickets only on entry ; and beleive me it was choc a block ;
and the dance floor was inpecable it was a great floor to dance on the music was brillient and a relaxed feeling and a great crowd of very friendly people ;
we shall be most certainly going again ; for some reason they was short staffed was the only problem at the bar
the que was four deep the try and get some refreshments ;. great dance hall and flooring so i can understand you saying that to get tickets
was a gold rush ; best wishes astonian;;;

Back