• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Barr Cottage

Yes Alan, that's what I wanted to know in post #87. The reason being is that I read somewhere (and can't now find it) that Great Barr once formed part of Perry Barr. Don't know how accurate that is though. Viv.

Great Barr and Perry Barr are listed separately in the PO directory of 1868 and 1872 - Hamstead is a hamlet listed under Perry Barr. Also 1880 Kelly's but by 1900 only Great Barr is listed and Perry Barr is missing as by then Perry Barr had moved from Staffordshire to Warwickshire. Hamstead is listed under Handsworth.

The map that I posted on 131 was not dated, the reason being that I was looking for a windmill in the Perry Barr area and just happened notice a possible candidate for the cottage.

The map in post 138 is, as you say not from “1880 odd”, but is added to show the position of Great Barr Station, and perhaps to realise, as Radiorails says, what may have been considered as Great Barr at the time of the photo. We may have to search around the boundaries.

Perhaps I should have added that there is a Map surveyed 1885 and published in 1886 that shows Great Barr Station in that Position.

There are some great examples of the “tin Tabernacles” that have really stood the test of time.

Not at the time of the picture, but from 1837 an example of how far boundaries can be extended. Here Perry Barr gets up to the Scott Arms.

4BFE3380-D52E-4EA8-93FC-585C4244B727.jpeg

How about looking at it another way :confused: Thought about this when I noticed my mother's front room was back to front in a photo.

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.06_16h57m48s_002_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.06_16h57m48s_002_.png
    761.2 KB · Views: 53
Good thought, great in fact. It makes the road sign look correct now. Lots of negatives do get printed back to front

That sign could be a school warning, (I've seen similar in vintage sign sales) if so the school may be the building behind the trees on the left.

In the original pic in post#1 I had noticed some 'letters' in the gutter by the girls (have a look!) and also a hint of some 'writing' lower left on the road which shows more clearly on an iPad. As we have tried everything, even mirroring the pic, I added colour which can pixel match ajacent grey shades and could see what appears to be 'C' and 'D' in the gutter but it could be just the way rubbish fell and maybe the 'C' was a lost horseshoe ...:D
On the road 'G' 'B' 'S' and 'T' has been written followed by an indistinct word ... but doesn't help with location ...:confused:
Colour did make the far telephone poles stand out and maybe a hint of an opening from the road to the 'church'.
A wide footpath and cobblestone gutter only on one side of the road ... maybe a local authority boundry ...
Col_GtBarrmysterypic.jpg

Last edited:
phil looking at your map 2410 which i turned around..it cant be brook cottage as its on the wrong side of the road...it would have to be on the right to be that close to the junction/turn off....i think..
Did you ever find out where the cottage in Great Barr was with the three girls standing opposite.

Unfortunately no, it remains one of the forums mysteries .... when I saw your post I thought someone had found it ....:)
That and the No. 8 bus are still awaiting a solution. Now many new Members have joined this year, maybe they can shed some light on these matters.;)

no michael it remains unsolved so as alan has said any thoughts from our new members would be most welcome

lyn

Lyn having lived in Wilderness Lane for twenty years , Chapel Lane was opposite I would almost put money on it this was Chapel Lane, with St Margarets church either facing or a short way down opposite the cottage. I've been up and down Chapel Lane a few times , I realise of course I might be wrong

In the original pic in post#1 I had noticed some 'letters' in the gutter by the girls (have a look!) and also a hint of some 'writing' lower left on the road which shows more clearly on an iPad. As we have tried everything, even mirroring the pic, I added colour which can pixel match ajacent grey shades and could see what appears to be 'C' and 'D' in the gutter but it could be just the way rubbish fell and maybe the 'C' was a lost horseshoe ...:D
On the road 'G' 'B' 'S' and 'T' has been written followed by an indistinct word ... but doesn't help with location ...:confused:
Colour did make the far telephone poles stand out and maybe a hint of an opening from the road to the 'church'.
A wide footpath and cobblestone gutter only on one side of the road ... maybe a local authority boundry ...
View attachment 134692

What a lovely picture and yes I can see the letters on the road.

Lyn having lived in Wilderness Lane for twenty years , Chapel Lane was opposite I would almost put money on it this was Chapel Lane, with St Margarets church either facing or a short way down opposite the cottage. I've been up and down Chapel Lane a few times , I realise of course I might be wrong
As a child and in my teens I roamed over Great Barr and knew Chapel Lane well and never saw 10 bar telephone poles in the lane. I would have noticed them and the 40 copper wires they would have been carrying ...;)

Did you ever find out where the cottage in Great Barr was with the three girls standing opposite.
You've made me think about the forum's unsolved mysteries and one we never solved is in the thread below. As Lyn says perhaps new members looking at it might have information ...:)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ody-is-being-transported-in.33243/post-415027

From post#1 in the thread
I have scanned this from this month's Brummagem magazine with the permision of Carl.
There is a section of photo's by Stan Millington sent in by his sister in law. Stan was a wedding photographer but for pleasure he took photo's around Birmingham. Stan was born in 1909 and died in 1972. I thought it would be nice if we could put more information on this photo.

Last edited:
hello michael is it the same photo as the one on the forum..many thanks sounds like you have cracked it

lyn

I'm looking at a 1914 map of Pages Lane and have my doubts but will investigate further. As we found with the unknown location of the No 8 bus, just because it is in a book it does not mean it's true ... :)

Back