• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Barr Cottage

I was looking at these old maps last night and struggling to fit with the photo,could the photo be the wrong way round as suggested before,i have a photo of the Birmingham Rd further down by the Bell and the telegraph poles are the same,
I would be interested in seeing the Bell Inn pic on the Birmingham Rd ... :)

I would be interested in seeing the Bell Inn pic on the Birmingham Rd ... :)
Birmingham Rd looking towards Great Barr the Bell Inn on the right dated 1914-20.
Will do it sometime today

Michael
hello michael is it the same photo as the one on the forum..many thanks sounds like you have cracked it

lyn
pedro i cant see pages lane marked on your map...i can see hill lane

lyn

Attachments

• P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010368.JPG
    P1010368.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 54
Birmingham Rd looking towards Great Barr the Bell Inn on the right dated 1914-20.
A nice photo of the Bell Inn and I can see the tram track which extended from Walsall to the inn and definitely 10 bar telephone poles.

I have problems with the Cottage photo description.
The view at the end of the road
Lane.jpg

This would need a map to be similar to this.
CottageMap.jpg

A map dated 1914 and if the camera was in position marked, Pages Lane would have to extend across (as marked) to match the cottage pic.
BirRd1914.jpg

I expect my observation has been made before in this thread, however, in case it was nt I will say that the road is wide - for the times of the photo - and must be a major route if the telegraph poles are any guide.

As a child and in my teens I roamed over Great Barr and knew Chapel Lane well and never saw 10 bar telephone poles in the lane. I would have noticed them and the 40 copper wires they would have been carrying ...;)

What date was the original pic though oM, where you as canny then in those days ?

I was looking at these old maps last night and struggling to fit with the photo,could the photo be the wrong way round as suggested before,i have a photo of the Birmingham Rd further down by the Bell and the telegraph poles are the same,

On the wrong side of the road though the poles I mean , plus there is a metal lampost just this side of the Bell

What date was the original pic though oM, where you as canny then in those days ?
According to post#184 the date of the pic is c1910. With regard to Chapel Lane I often walked along it in the late 1940s sometimes after being chased out of the hospital grounds when we all used to play by the pools. In the 1950s I probably cycled along Chapel Lane once or twice a week training. With regard to telephone poles and wires have a look at my old post below ... why I tend to notice them in pics ..
When I was very little I remember walking up Goodway Rd with mum to the Kingstanding Rd and looking up at the telephone wires which are shown in the pic below, the sky seemed full of them. On each pole were 14 cross bars each with 4 insulators presumably resulting in 56 wires. Looking at them now I should imagine that getting to the top wires on the poles would have been quite difficult without snagging the lower wires. Other pics on the forum show that these poles had been removed by the 1960s and maybe much earlier. Perhaps the telephone engineers in the thread are too young to have ever worked on them ...:)
Kingstanding_Rd.jpg

A nice photo of the Bell Inn and I can see the tram track which extended from Walsall to the inn and definitely 10 bar telephone poles.

I have problems with the Cottage photo description.
The view at the end of the road
View attachment 136568

This would need a map to be similar to this.
View attachment 136571

A map dated 1914 and if the camera was in position marked, Pages Lane would have to extend across (as marked) to match the cottage pic.
View attachment 136570
I agree with you the description on the photo i posted doesn't fit with the map,my theory right or wrong is the photo was taken by the Old School House and the end of the road is a fork and not a T junction with Pages Lane to the right and Birmingham Rd to the left.If the author of the book is right about the roads it would have to be that way round with ifs and buts i know.We know Birmingham Rd is a good candidate because of the telegraph poles,the debate goes on.

I have not been able to find any place on the Birmingham Rd matching the road layout and buildings positions as seen in the cottage photo. I have been able to find a location on the Queslett Rd at the Booths Lane junction by Brook Cottage which matches the road geometry of the photo but the chapel like building next to the cottage does not show on the maps. I notice I had a close look at this location long ago earlier in the thread ... :)

I have not been able to find any place on the Birmingham Rd matching the road layout and buildings positions as seen in the cottage photo. I have been able to find a location on the Queslett Rd at the Booths Lane junction by Brook Cottage which matches the road geometry of the photo but the chapel like building next to the cottage does not show on the maps. I notice I had a close look at this location long ago earlier in the thread ... :)
I've found a photo on Hamstead back in the day which looks like the cottage,the photo is titled Scott Arms Corner c1908,one of the comments with it says it looks like the photo was taken somewhere near the pub and looking up Birmingham Rd,the buildings are on the map,it's the end of the road which is the problem,is it anything to do with the camera lens ? the debate goes on.

Attachments

• 12483835_880695298717800_1081575843_n.jpg
    12483835_880695298717800_1081575843_n.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 119
I've found a photo on Hamstead back in the day which looks like the cottage,the photo is titled Scott Arms Corner c1908,one of the comments with it says it looks like the photo was taken somewhere near the pub and looking up Birmingham Rd,the buildings are on the map,it's the end of the road which is the problem,is it anything to do with the camera lens ? the debate goes on.
That looks like the same location. The old triangle road signs, the ten bar poles, dormer windows on the building. We just have to work out which corner of the Scott Arms junction it is.

Another view of the corner building and features on it match the building in #192. Building work on the Beacon Cinema can be seen behind the building which dates the pic mid 1930s.
IMG_1181 1.jpg

Matching features on the building and a foreshortening make the view up the Birmingham Rd seem to have trees going across in the distance. I think that is where the road veers right by Pages Lane junction.
Scott_Arms_building.jpg

The photo in post 192 certainly has the appearance the cottages, road and warning sign of the original post. I hope this is a thread search that has had a solution.

Another view of the corner building and features on it match the building in #192. Building work on the Beacon Cinema can be seen behind the building which dates the pic mid 1930s.
View attachment 136779

Matching features on the building and a foreshortening make the view up the Birmingham Rd seem to have trees going across in the distance. I think that is where the road veers right by Pages Lane junction.
View attachment 136780
I totally agree with you that can be the only conclusion
View attachment 136779

View attachment 136780
I totally agree this can be the only conclusion,the description on the photo was correct,i think we've cracked it.

I totally agree this can be the only conclusion,the description on the photo was correct,i think we've cracked it.
It's strange how old photos make distant objects look nearer. It wasn't until I recognised the other building in your photo in #192 that I would have even thought it was so near to the Scott Arms crossing. And the caption in T.J.H.Price's book was correct ... just a pity it did not say near Scott Arms ...

A map dated 1914 and red dot marks possible position of photographer
Map1.jpg
Aerial view today
Img_1182.jpg

Last edited:
It's strange how old photos make distant objects look nearer. It wasn't until I recognised the other building in your photo in #192 that I would have even thought it was so near to the Scott Arms crossing. And the caption in T.J.H.Price's book was correct ... just a pity it did not say near Scott Arms ...

A map dated 1914 and red dot marks possible position of photographer
View attachment 136785
Aerial view today
View attachment 136786
Excellent work

Reference a post in another thread ...
Hello Mohawk,i was just looking at your great photo #308 in the Group Photos thread of the church in Sundial Lane,it looks to me like the building next to the cottage with the three girls,looking closer than it is because of the foreshortening,what do you think ?
Looking at the map in #198 in this Great Barr Cottage thread I had marked a building as the cottage but maybe the cottage was the building nearer Sundial Lane marked with 'P'.

If so then you could be correct. The building faintly showing through the trees could be the Methodist Chapel.
When I look again at the cottage photo I seem to see a faint line in the grass which could be Sundial Lane and I fancy that I can see buttresses on the front face of the chapel-like building. Maybe I'm seeing things I want to see.
Looking at the pic in #194 of this thread the white building beyond the corner building could be the building marked 'P' on the map.

Last edited:
Reference Michaelj68's quote in post#204
Looking at the view in post#1 with this linked pic in the foreshortened distance is the bend to the right in Birmingham Rd by Pages Lane. Somewhere on the right must be Sundial Lane probably very small back in 1908 and there appears to be a chapel like building where the lane is.
This image is a link to post#1
index.php

A crop from the above pic with a buttress and dark and lighter roof areas marked.
GtBarrCottpic.jpg

The view today with the buttress marked and the light and dark rows of tiles.
MethodistChapel.jpg

I don't believe that is the church in the original photo. The photo shows a white structure. There was some debate much earlier in this thread about churches being built and others knocked down.

Reference Michaelj68's quote in post#204
Looking at the view in post#1 with this linked pic in the foreshortened distance is the bend to the right in Birmingham Rd by Pages Lane. Somewhere on the right must be Sundial Lane probably very small back in 1908 and there appears to be a chapel like building where the lane is.
This image is a link to post#1
index.php

A crop from the above pic with a buttress and dark and lighter roof areas marked.
View attachment 137031

The view today with the buttress marked and the light and dark rows of tiles.
View attachment 137032

The tip of the buttress is in line with the first set of light tiles on the side of the Church. A case could be made that you can just see this in the original.

Back