• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paddington Street Aston

Good evening Paddington Streeters!! I have just returned from visiting Birmingham for the day, Eddie, my husband, gave me a grand tour of where Paddington St used to be! I saw Porchester St, and the Crocodile works! and even went to Summer Lane!! wow!! Have spoken to Vanda, Eddies Mum, and showed her photos, she is delighted, anyone else out there??

Hi Jackie,

I'm on vacation with my brother Jack and he made reference to the family with "all the girls" that lived close to the McKinley's . He did the same trip down memory lane as you did, recently...

Dave A

Here hopefully is a picture of our mom in Paddington St.

Attachments

• Our Mom & the Miskins.jpg
    Our Mom & the Miskins.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 66
Just curious...does anyone have memento's or items originating from your street of growing up. In my case, Paddington St and I have still have a biscuit barrel that belonged to my parents. It is made from aluminum and it is on my computer desk, I use it for odds & sods...

Dave A

dave you must forgive me...i completely missed that great photo of your mom:)

gosh you are so lucky to have a surviving relic from paddington st and actually i do have something...its an original lloyd loom chair..it was the first thing our mom and dad bought just before they married in 1950 and went to live with nan at 4/12...mom nursed 6 children in that chair and its very precious to me..it sits in the bay window of my living room...i will post a photo of it tomorrow

lyn

dave you must forgive me...i completely missed that great photo of your mom:)

I forgive you Lyn, I've missed plenty myself. The picture shows my mom standing in front of the brewhouse, with the miskins in the lower background. Just behind the miskins is part of the polishing shop that was in our yard and run by the Robinson family. He would polish trophies and other jobs he picked up from the Jewelry Quarter (not sure how legal it was). And in the upper background is 1/52 & 2/54

gosh you are so lucky to have a surviving relic from paddington st and actually i do have something...its an original lloyd loom chair..it was the first thing our mom and dad bought just before they married in 1950 and went to live with nan at 4/12...mom nursed 6 children in that chair and its very precious to me..it sits in the bay window of my living room...i will post a photo of it tomorrow

lyn

a genuine heirloom, no pun intended...

Hi Lyn, moved our conversation to the right place...I am now settled in our place of residence for the next 3 months and back on my home laptop where I have access to the page that confirms my statement regarding the ascending order of house numbers. The lower numbers, including yours are at the Guildford St end.

Dave A

paddington%20st%20c18.jpg paddingtonstandqueen040.jpg hi dave...ive been away myself but getting back..yes i know no 12 was at the guildford street end... i think the only way for me to try to explain this to you is by map and photo...so here is a map showing paddington st...guildford st is on the.left..4/12 is marked in pink...you can clearly see on the map that nos 6.8.10.12 and 14 are the only houses in the street with little front gardens...the photo shows nos.6.8.10.12 and 14.. again you can clearly see the little front gardens..hope this helps dave

lyn

Last edited:
I'm still away...sort of. The reason for my curiosity is that you claim to have lived in the houses with front gardens. You rightly state that they are the only ones like it on Paddington St. They do however start at number 60 and continue higher..am I being too picky?
Dave A

hi ya dave..number 60 was further down nearer to the porchester st end..as you can see from the map the front gardens started at no 6 and finished at no 14..i was born 4/12 which is marked in pink on the map..my nans sisters lived at no 14 on the front

lyn

Last edited:
hi ya dave..number 60 was further down nearer to the porchester st end..as you can see from the map the front gardens started at no 6 and finished at no 14..i was born 4/12 which is marked in pink on the map..my nans sisters lived at no 14 on the front

lyn
Where is the map?

map and photo are on post 130
OK, I got it now...you lived across from Davis the coal man? Those front garden homes were at what we called the top of the street. The peck was on the corner right? I was thinking it was the other peck close to the middle of the street, where I lived.
Dave A

Lyn, I Have alo been on the Lookout to no avail. I am sure something will turn up eventually. I Will add this Photo which my sister took of some of The Kids from the Street when we lived at No 39. It was taken in the 50s. Some of the kids names i remember are Dunkley, Mountjoy,Garage and Clayton( me) . You never know someone may look on the site and recognise someone they know who might just have a photo lying in a drawer somewhere.View attachment 70237[/QUOT
I went to school with a Jackie mountjoy I can't remember if it was Cowper street school or summer lane or even both

I'm Dave Astley...Good to hear that Carole is still going strong. We have so much to talk about, we'll just take it a step at a time. The Gaunts...I knew Harry, Raymond & Valerie, I don't recall Gill. The Robo's used the Yardley Removal van for their annual trip to Stourport. They would virtually empty the house of furniture, most of it was orange boxes and wireless cases, and load it in the van. They had a big bell tent that resembled a small circus tent, to put all this stuff in and off they would go for 2 weeks holiday. When they came back they would spread the tent out on the peck and try to clean some of the mud and grass that had stuck to it in the field at Stourport. We used to take the ****, but really, they did have a vacation, which was more than most of us had. The Friels, Brian, Sandra & Linda. I am still in contact with Brian...never lost it, he was my best friend and I still love him dearly. I come to the UK every couple of years and Brian, my brother Jack + an old friend from art school, go to Warners on the IOW, with the wives of course.

Dave
I was just talking to my sister today about the Gaunt family she was best friend with Valerie (gill causer) and my dad was friends with Harry does anyone remember the Causer's

I was just talking to my sister today about the Gaunt family she was best friend with Valerie (gill causer) and my dad was friends with Harry does anyone remember the Causer's
I'm sorry, I don't remember the Causers. The Gaunts live on Porchester St, Valerie was the youngest at the time. I left Paddington St in 1956 at the age of 16, she would have been around 12-14 at the time. Harry was a bit older than me, maybe 2 years, and Raymond was a little younger at about 1-2 years...where did the Causers live or is that you?
Dave A

I'm sorry, I don't remember the Causers. The Gaunts live on Porchester St, Valerie was the youngest at the time. I left Paddington St in 1956 at the age of 16, she would have been around 12-14 at the time. Harry was a bit older than me, maybe 2 years, and Raymond was a little younger at about 1-2 years...where did the Causers live or is that you?
Dave A
We lived in Cowper street #7 wasn't the fathers name Harry , I am one of the 7 kids reg causer second youngest .

Last edited:
hi jackie i have that cracking photo but i cant remember who posted it some time ago...do you know who the children are...

lyn

Hi Lyn, the second left top row is Susan Mountjoy and also her sisters Jackie and Tina at the front row. Raymond O’Connor the boy behind Jackie was their brother Ricky. Brenda Dunkley on the left with her brother in front of her. Janet Carey lived in Paddington st. Trevor Goss moved into 40 Paddington St. Next to the shop late 50s till demolition.

We lived in Cowper street #7 wasn't the fathers name Harry , I am one of the 7 kids reg causer second youngest .
Maybe the father was named Harry, but the oldest son was Harry too, this was quite common to be named after your father back then.
Dave A

Hi Lyn, the second left top row is Susan Mountjoy and also her sisters Jackie and Tina at the front row. Raymond O’Connor the boy behind Jackie was their brother Ricky. Brenda Dunkley on the left with her brother in front of her. Janet Carey lived in Paddington st. Trevor Goss moved into 40 Paddington St. Next to the shop late 50s till demolition.
Yes that is a great picture Jackie! Because I am quite a bit older than you, I cannot ID anyone in the photo, However, I did know the Mountjoys and the Carey's. The Cary's were a large family that lived on the other side of the entry from Bellingers shop. I left Paddington St in 1956, but came back a few times after, the last time was after our house was demolished, I could not handle it after that. BTW, the first contact I had from anyone in Paddington St was the Claytons.
Dave A

There used to be a family named Mountjoy who live on the corner of Parklane and Parliament Street in the 1960's, a friend of mine at that time said they were related to him (Pinkerton) was his surname, his family at one time lived in Paddington Street.....

Yes that is a great picture Jackie! Because I am quite a bit older than you, I cannot ID anyone in the photo, However, I did know the Mountjoys and the Carey's. The Cary's were a large family that lived on the other side of the entry from Bellingers shop. I left Paddington St in 1956, but came back a few times after, the last time was after our house was demolished, I could not handle it after that. BTW, the first contact I had from anyone in Paddington St was the Claytons.
Dave A
Wasn't there a Timmy Carey too I remember that name

Wasn't there a Timmy Carey too I remember that name
Yes there was a Timmy, but to be honest, I don't recall the lineage. There was one member of the family that was handicapped and wheelchair bound. They would have the front door open and he would be parked so that he could see what was going on in the street.
Dave A

Hi Lyn, I know that this is the Paddington St thread...not sure where to write. Are you aware of these books? My brother got them for his 80th birthday (yesterday). I know the author Graham Twist.
Dave A

Attachments

• 51OFJMYroSL.jpg
    51OFJMYroSL.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 51wC8ixEpoL._UY250_.jpg
    51wC8ixEpoL._UY250_.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 26
Back