• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paddington Street Aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i was born in paddington street in 1953 in my nans house at 4 back o 12. i am tracing back my family history and wondered if anyone out there had any photos of paddington street taken at any time. it doesnt neccessary have to be from the 50s. i would be grateful of any pics. many thanks.

hi folks...just a reminder that i still have not been able to find any pics of this street so if anybody out there has got any i would love to see them....

many thanks..

lyn

Lyn, I Have alo been on the Lookout to no avail. I am sure something will turn up eventually. I Will add this Photo which my sister took of some of The Kids from the Street when we lived at No 39. It was taken in the 50s. Some of the kids names i remember are Dunkley, Mountjoy,Garage and Clayton( me) . You never know someone may look on the site and recognise someone they know who might just have a photo lying in a drawer somewhere.View attachment 70237

hi topsy..its a lovely photo and thanks for posting it on the thread i think it must have been taken when i was living there then as i was there until 1958 so a good chance...i must have pics of all the surrounding streets expect for the one where i spent the first 5 years of my life..i am totally convinced that there are some out there for the public works dept took pics of streets ear marked for demolision..i really think that unless i can think of anything else all avenues so far have been exhausted over the past 3 and a half years...i shall not give up searching...fingers crossed...

lyn

Hi Lyn

I just came across this photo of Paddington St in 1960, I'm afraid it is not as you would have liked to have seen it.

Phil

NewtownPaddingtonSt1960.jpg

good god phil my first pic of this street..albeit not intact..thank you so much i shall go and study this now...especially the background to see which side of the street this was..

lyn

looks like there are 2 kids hanging out the bedroom window..deffinately not my back to back house as they had little front gardens and im pretty sure my nan did not move out until the middle 60s..she refused to go till she had to..
..thanks again phil..its a start...x

Lyn

When you are able to enlarge the copy of the photo I have sent you, it will become obvious that the "two kids" are in fact demolition workers.

Phil

thanks for the other pic phil i am posting it here for topsy....topsy if you save this one you will be able to see much clearer when you zoom in...and phil is right it is demo men in the window not children...i know we were dare devils but even i would not have entered that building lol..

thanks phil..

paddingtonstphil.jpg

im still trying to figure out what the buildings are in the background..paddington st was sandwiched between geach st and kensington st..pity we cant make out the name of the shop to the right of the large building...hoping mike ingram sees this pic as he may know..looks like the ladies are helping themselves to the wood off the pile...

Thanks Lyn and Phil. Lyn do you think that could be Geach in the background . Those houses look like where there was an avenue/opening down the bottom end on your side of the road .

I think its Newtown Row in the background as the big building looks like the bank its only a guess though , if you look at the pavement it is running at an angle so you are viewing the background obliquelyl from a straight position

john my first thought was newtown row..it was very deceiving as you say...the large building did look familiar and yes its looks like the bank that was on the corner milton st and newtown row so that must be my side of the street thats being demolished then...

thank you john..

lyn

I'm a bit late on this but I am really puzzled too. Lyn has bought my attention to it and I said this:
I am puzzled. I don't think it is Paddington Street - it could be Porchester Street. Depending on which side of the road it is supposed to be - look at the details in the background - you would be seeing Denmark Street the one way or Geach Street or even Farm Street on the other. In the detail you can see shops which wouldn't have been in Kensigton Street or Geach Street. Also that building to the left of the shops looks like a Chapel; where would that be? I don't know where it could be butIwould sayit is not PaddingtonStreet. What makes me particularly puzzled ios the building that looks like a chapel (or bank). From the end of Paddington Street; towards Summer Lane you would be likely to see the back of the Crocodile works. ???

paddington_detail.jpg

mike im going to do a bit more on this one..pity no one can make out the name of the shop to the right of the large building.. if you look closely at the arches above the door on the house being demolished its very ornate and the same as this pic of dad and me standing outside the entry at back of 12 paddington st very ornate arch again.will get my map out again and see if that building could be the bank on the corner of milton street.

img492.jpg

Last edited:
mike looking at this aerial shot taken in 1967 cant see how the large building is the bank at milton st.as the croc works are in the way and its the wrong direction anyway....im not saying its not paddington st but i think a bit more research is needed..ive always liked this shot..paddington and kensington st have gone so too has one side of geach.i can see the geach arms on one corner and the little church on the other..that big open space you can see where the line is down the page would have been where the courtyards of paddington and geach were..

DSCF1053_.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pic of you and your Dad Lyn... and the ariel view. It has become a bit of a puzzler hasn,t it. I Keep having another look but am stumped.

thanks topsy...im sure its paddington st..at times like this i usually have a break for a while from a mystery and hope a brainwave hits me lol...

dont think so topsy..it too big to be the church in geach st..have to say it does look like the bank on the corner of milton st and newtown row but from the maps i cant see how if it is paddington st we could see it as the croc works would be in the way..i did have a pic showing the bank and i cant find it at the min..will keep looking for it..

you can see the croodile works, cowper st school, and the geach public house.
and in the foreground is the bartons arms, and the back of the aston hip.

I am afraid you can't see the Crocodile works or Cower street school as it as a spire, this is not Paddington street its Summer lane (sorry Lyn) That's Milton street on the right the demolition site is on the corner of Milton street and Summer Lane.
One of the clues is the lamp post its to large for a minor road its size denotes a major road.
You can't all ways trust a title on a photograph.
John H

i know it is john..i worked it out after you sent me that other pic of the bank last night...the only way we would see it is from summer lane and another thing that made me wonder was that i am sure our nan was still living in paddington st in the mid 60s....ahh well never mind back to the drawing board tospy...

still a good pic though...

lyn

Last edited:
hi all...i dont mind admitting that i was reduced to tears this morning..after a 5 year search for pics of paddington st where i was born i have finally got some...via emailing the library 3 weeks ago they said they did have some pics so i asked why then couldnt i find them during the many visits i have made trawling though the index cards..apparenty there is a section called the regeneration photogaph collection which were taken by the city council prior to demolision of most of our streets in brum..well nobody had ever told me this before so if anyone searching for streets its a good tip to ask them to search this section for you as you maybe luckier than looking through the index cards..ive been so lucky and i am still in shock at finding them at long last..pics to follow...i am made up for life now as i got more than i could have wished for..my mission is now over..

lyn

Last edited:
cant belive i have got this one...i was born at 4/12 which was my nans house and left in 1958.. this pic shows numbers 6 to 26 my entry is second from the right..my nans sister maud had the front house at no 14 the last house with a front garden so this is also in the pic..taken june 1964 and nan would still have been living there then

paddingtonstandqueen040.jpg

Last edited:
this one is the continuation of the first pic nos 16 to 38..taken june 1964 and i can just see the crocodile works at porchester st..i had another rellie at no 18

paddingtonstandqueen038.jpg

Last edited:
this one is taken on the other side of the road looking towards guildford st..i am so hoping that topsy turveys house is on this one i think she was at no 37..taken july 1964..

paddingtonstandqueen030.jpg

Last edited:
Back