• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

I liked the l940's version of the Bull Ring but I also liked the l965 version too.
There wouldn't have been any room for the Big Box and Chain retailers
if they hadn't started from scratch again Rupert!

Rupert

Here you are, the old and the new together (well partially). Side by side for a short interlude. Now we can both mourn together at the loss of both.

Phil

Thank you for posting such a unique photo Phil. It's hard to believe that either store existed and that the news now is that Woolworths as a firm is bust and may not survive at all if a new buyout falls through. How different to when nationwide even suburbs had their own Woolworths shops. Many of their their long closed original premises still survive around Brum to those who know where they were.
Mike

Thanks for the picture PMC, one of the best here I think. It's funny I did not think that Woolworths went that far down. Past the corner of St Martins where the Midland Reds used to turn. Must have done. Yes, Jenny, I suppose that our lives are ruled by big box stores.

Thanks for posting these photos. Yes, all gone now. I used to visit both stores. Is that the Albany Hotel going up in the background? Thanks.

Jennyann

I have to be honest, you have got me stumped, here is a photo of the finished Bull Ring from more or less the same spot. I have to admit the finished building in the background looks a little big for the Albany to me. Also I thought it might of been a more side on view from that point,

The trouble is its been that long since I have been in that area, I have lost my perspective. I will have a look through my photograph collection and see if I can come up with an explanation in the meantime perhaps some on else will know.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull Ring May 1964 .jpg
    City Bull Ring May 1964 .jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 16
Jennyann

I have to be honest, you have got me stumped, here is a photo of the finished Bull Ring from more or less the same spot. I have to admit the finished building in the background looks a little big for the Albany to me. Also I thought it might of been a more side on view from that point,

The trouble is its been that long since I have been in that area, I have lost my perspective. I will have a look through my photograph collection and see if I can come up with an explanation in the meantime perhaps some on else will know.

Phil

Phil it's the building shown to the left (in front of the Palisades bridge) in the first of your photos on your post #527. In later years it would carry advertising along the top as seen in earlier views of the 1960/70s Bull Ring on this Thread.
Mike

Mike

As soon as I read what you said, it came back to me. I remember it as the building that had Fuji Film adverts in green neon lights. The old memory is failing, but it only needs a gentle shove for a jump start. The time is drawing near when it will need dragging round the block on the end of a chain.

So Jennyann its not the Albany as you thought it might be, you can borrow my chain anytime you might need it.

Phil

I purchased two of those cattle prods, one for each ear, everything looks a lot brighter after a tickle with them

bren

Top picture is The Old Square, with The Upper Priory on the right. 1890
The lower picture is The Old Square looking from Corperation St. in 1903.

Attachments

• City Old Square.jpg
    City Old Square.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 11
  • City Old Square 1895 2.JPG
    City Old Square 1895 2.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen those cards or photos before Stitcher. I think the Old Square was pretty High End and the streetscape for that part of
Corporation Street is fascinating. I can just about see Crane's Piano
Forte shop. Didn't they move to another location?

I agree I'll probably need a chain before too long pmc1947. Thanks.

Yes, on second thoughts it couldn't be the Albany.

On the left of the tram car used to be a building called Berlin House. Anyone know anything about that.

Great photos, 2nd one taken from the upstairs of what used to be a pub on the corner of James Watt st.
I used to buy all my records from Cranes, they had those little booths ,you could ask the assistant for the records you where thinking of buying and take a handful and go and listen to them.
Imagine if that were possible today- the kids would be taping them, they would never sell any.
Cranes had a huge curved window, and I've never seen another one since.

St. Martins Church and the Bullring circa 1940

Attachments

• City St Martins c1940.jpg
    City St Martins c1940.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
Here is a very nice photo of King Edwards School in New Street. 1890

Attachments

• City New St KEGS 1890 (1830-1935).JPG
    City New St KEGS 1890 (1830-1935).JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 9
Great photos, 2nd one taken from the upstairs of what used to be a pub on the corner of James Watt st.
I used to buy all my records from Cranes, they had those little booths ,you could ask the assistant for the records you where thinking of buying and take a handful and go and listen to them.
Imagine if that were possible today- the kids would be taping them, they would never sell any.
Cranes had a huge curved window, and I've never seen another one since.
John,
The shop with the curved window was Murdochs radio, television and record shop,which was a few doors down Corporation St from Cranes who sold piano's and sheet music.
Bryan.

Here's an unusual one for you, I wasn't aware that Cadbury's had their own trains. We live and learn.

Phil

Attachments

• Bourville Cadbury's Train.jpg
    Bourville Cadbury's Train.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
Phil
The Cadbury engines were used to take wagons into the factory and for shunting purposes in the factory. I don't think they ever ran the engines to other destinations as a full train. They did run canal boats, later carrying chocolate crumb, but earlier, as can be seen, carrying milk , or more likely condensed milk, to Bournville.
mike

boats_carrying_milk_to_bournvilleA~0.jpg

Frothblower, although I couldnt say yes for definate, there is a strong possibility that you are corect in what you say.

From the 12th century until 1800, everything brought into Birminghams markets was sold in the narrow streets. Local produce in High Street, cattle in Dale End, and pigs sheep and horses in New Street. Between 1801 and 1828 the Commissioners swept away old houses and Butchers shops above St Martins, creating a large open space for local produce stalls. In 1828 the Commissioners obtained powers to build a covered market, bought a convenient piece of land, chose Charles Edges classical Greek design and opened the new Market Hall in 1835.

The first picture is the Market Hall in 1890. It was built on what was still correctly known at the time as High Street.
The second picture is a drawing of High Street Market in 1827.

Attachments

• Bull Ring High St Market 1827.jpg
    Bull Ring High St Market 1827.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
  • City Bullring Market Hall & Nelson.jpg
    City Bullring Market Hall & Nelson.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 12
The Exchange, Stephenson Place. 1885. Designed by Edward Holmes and opened on Jan 2nd 1865, the Exchange building provided the largest commercial complex in the town. It housed the Exchange and The Chamber of Commerce; and was a place to conduct business. It contained meeting rooms, offices, dining, smoking and coffee rooms. The building was demolished 1960s.

Attachments

• City Stephenson-Place The Exchange.jpg
    City Stephenson-Place The Exchange.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 6
Graham, it does seem a pity that all new buildings today are just glass fronted monoliths. They have no character or feeling to them. I have an interest because when I became a Hackney Carriage owner-driver, I went on a self funded course to become a tourist guide for the city. You would be surprised how many people asked what was there to know about Birmingham. My reply was always the same. 'If you need to ask that, you will never understand'.

Rupert, thats the beauty of looking at the old photos. They bring back many memories.

The picture of The Exchange shows King Edwards School just along New Street and I think you can just make out Worcester Street.

Found this yesterday whilst perusing the net, don't know if it has been on before.

Attachments

• Five Ways King Edwards School.JPG
    Five Ways King Edwards School.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
A nice Aerial view of the City. I have no idea of the date, anybody want to have a guess. I would say it was around the mid to late seventies myself.

Phil

Attachments

• City Aerial View Smallbrook Rongway.jpg
    City Aerial View Smallbrook Rongway.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 22
Back